New pc any changes I should make?

Hi guys,
I'm getting ready to build a new pc heres the specs so far that I have thought of.

HTML:
        Samsung SATA 16x DVD-ROM Drive

2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Hard Drive

2TB Western Digital Caviar Black 3.5" Hard Disk Drive

1TB Western Digital Caviar Black 3.5" Hard Disk Drive

Akasa 120mm Ultra Quiet

Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev.2 CPU Cooler 4 Dual Heat Pipes 

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Processor 3.3GHz x6

Palit GeForce GTX460 1024MB

Coolermaster Scout Gaming Case

Asus Crosshair IV Formula Socket AM3 Motherboard

Kingston HyperX 4GB 1800MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 240-Pin DIMM         Memory Module 

Samsung SH-S223L Internal 22x DVD Writer Drive SATA Black Lightscribe

Sweex Internal Card Reader All-in-1 (OEM)

850W Coolermaster Silent Pro M850

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Retail

I don't want to be upgrading in a year or 2 I'm looking at this to last me 5yrs + and serve me well I also want it to run really demanding routes quickly and without judder etc....

I'm using TS2010.

Thanks in advance Rusty.

That sounds like quite a nice computer there Rusty. Of course, that is just my opinion, and other users may know a lot more about how well Trainz would work with that computer than I know. ;) :p

Regards.

Just curious why you want a DVD-ROM and Writer when the Writer will read perfectly well?
Also 5TB of HDD is an extraordinary amount of storage?
I have the GTX460 and it's basically good but have you read on the Forums about the "Black Texture" problem with 400 series cards?

just curious... If you don't want to be going with a new system in another couple of years why are you not buying better
Surlly an intel system is faster.
and if it is price spend more now on the important stuff CPU and Video and get the other items as cash alows...
I mean 3 hdd's and 2 dvd's on a mid range system \ why
Having said that if all you want is to play train you will be happy
are you awear the video card is entery level??? in that range

I'm not dishing you
you asked for opinions

Last edited:
buy dvd rw drive

There is 2 Samsung SH-S223L Internal 22x DVD Writer Drive SATA Black Lightscribe.

Just curious why you want a DVD-ROM and Writer when the Writer will read perfectly well?
Also 5TB of HDD is an extraordinary amount of storage?
I have the GTX460 and it's basically good but have you read on the Forums about the "Black Texture" problem with 400 series cards?

The dvd-rom is there for someone else forgot to remove it, I haven't been on the forums much lately so very behind but thanks for that info..

just curious... If you don't want to be going with a new system in another couple of years why are you not buying better
Surlly an intel system is faster.
and if it is price spend more now on the important stuff CPU and Video and get the other items as cash alows...
I mean 3 hdd's and 2 dvd's on a mid range system \ why
Having said that if all you want is to play train you will be happy
are you awear the video card is entery level??? in that range

I'm not dishing you
you asked for opinions

I've always had AMD and that's what I stick with hence why I don't do intel (I did look) I didn't think that card was entry level...

Is there a better card to go for?

I have 2 cd/dvd drives for copying saves writing to the hdds all the time and speeds up the process.

4 hdds 2 for windows etc which will be raid one for data (pics etc) and the other as a back up in case so if it all cashes I have a copy....

"are you awear the video card is entery level??? in that range"
As I said earlier I have the exact same card.
Before I bought it I read as many reviews as I could stand and they raved about it.
The only known problem is that some people have mentioned fan blades breaking off. My guess would be that as they are plastic they may get softened up if they get too hot? I use a HAF932 and the GPU is as cool as a cucumber so I think that's unlikely to be an issue.

Before I bought it I read as many reviews as I could stand and they raved about it.
The only known problem is that some people have mentioned fan blades breaking off. My guess would be that as they are plastic they may get softened up if they get too hot? I use a HAF932 and the GPU is as cool as a cucumber so I think that's unlikely to be an issue.

I agree that seams pritty unlikely
I meant the 4xx range of cards has 7 products in it
the 460 is the lowest gtx in the range and you want 5 years ???

Last edited:

I agree that seams pritty unlikely
I meant the 4xx range of cards has 7 products in it
the 460 is the lowest gtx in the range and you want 5 years ???

Cheers Guys, a-lot of people seem to rate the 8800 card and say it's the bees knees and putting 2 of them in SLI mode is even better?

What about if I did that? I don't want black textures etc.

Although on a quick search I found on here if you use openGL and turn hardware compression off in CM then recommit all assets.

Cheers Rusty

"Cheers Guys, a-lot of people seem to rate the 8800 card and say it's the bees knees and putting 2 of them in SLI mode is even better? "

Prior to getting the GTX I used 2 x 8800GT 512MB cards in SLI mode and not only did they produce a LOT of heat, they exhaust it back into the case. Like pretty much all new cards the GTX460 exhausts the heat out of the back and it it doesn't seem to produce a lot of heat to start with.
The HAF 932's huge side fan blows ar directly onto the CPU and GPU which then blows the air out of the back.It's a model of efficiency.

Hi Everybody
one problem you also should think about with a high end system and all the heat they create is how you are going to remove that heat from the computer room or office.

I have a high-end system which generates a lot of heat it gets pushed out into the office where especially in summer it can get very uncomfortable. I tried using fans and opening windows but then the noise from the two big fans became a major problem in itself.

In the end I resulted to installing an air-conditioning system into the office which has solved the heat problem but it costs quite a bit to run. Also getting a good quality system that runs quietly cost more than the computer system by the time it was installed

I just thought you might wish to consider if you could have the same problem as I had.

Bill

Last edited:
HI Russell, The only major weak link in your new computer system I can see is the 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Hard Drive.

Do not under any circumstances use this as your main hard dive to install windows and other programs such as TRAINZ on it.

The Green Hard Drives are the bottom end of Western Digital's range when it comes to performance.

I have seen Two reviews that rate them only good enough for storage of text files and pictures etc.

If you want to use a Western Digital Hard Drive as your Main Drive, choose a black one, And as far as storage goes I would use the blue drives.

I have a Black Drive as my main drive, and I have two blue drives yet to install, which will only be for storage.

Cheers

Jimbo

HI Russell, The only major weak link in your new computer system I can see is the 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Hard Drive.

Do not under any circumstances use this as your main hard dive to install windows and other programs such as TRAINZ on it.

The Green Hard Drives are the bottom end of Western Digital's range when it comes to performance.

I have seen Two reviews that rate them only good enough for storage of text files and pictures etc.

If you want to use a Western Digital Hard Drive as your Main Drive, choose a black one, And as far as storage goes I would use the blue drives.

I have a Black Drive as my main drive, and I have two blue drives yet to install, which will only be for storage.

Cheers

Jimbo

Hi Jimbo,
The reason for the green is for storing pictures gmax files etc. I've already got one in my tower and find it good enough for that, I did look at the blue but this is where I save a little bit of cash.

I have however opted to change the video card for the Asus GeForce GTX 570 1280MB which can be found http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?id=62628

Cheers Rusty

I had been using IDE drives for my main OS till couple of months back :p
Am on a Green WD 1tb for OS, and it does its job. I haven't lagged out in any games while playing...The system stays on 24X7, and when rebooting it doesn't really take decades. Applications launch pretty fast as well.

I know a black or SSD drives improve performance drastically but for the money saved, I invested them in better mobo, better cooling, better cpu, graphics, PSU, chassis etc.

-
@Wholbr, I have a liquid cooled system running two radiators for the CPU and GPU blocks. I use vent pipes which I picked up from the local hardware shop to dispose the heat out of the pc. Have the vent pipes connected to my exhaust fans and radiator exhausts from the pc and run them to the window. That helps in preventing the computer system in heating up your room.

Last edited:
Back