New computer

CAREL_RICHTERS

I intend to buy a new computer. My present iMac 6 is years old and is slow and shaky playing TRS 19 and Tane. I consider to buy a new Mac computer, iMac, Macbook or a mini with a M1 chip. Apple told me: a M1 chip doesn't work with both programs and recommended a very expensive and heavy iMac with an Intel i9 processor, a Radeon Pro 5500 T 8 GB graphic card, 16 GB 2666-Mhz DDR4 4 memory, a computer a little bit over the top in my opinion. From the helpdesk I heard, that they referred to good experiences with the M1 chip, but they advised me to put this question on the forum too. So i do so.
I am curious about the experiences with the M1 chip.

Kind regards
Carel Richters

Hi Carel
I am definitely having issues with my new iMac 24" and Trainz.

Chipset Model: Apple M1
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
Total Number of Cores: 8
Vendor: Apple (0x106b)
Metal Family: Supported, Metal GPUFamily Apple 7
Not sure it's my hardware yet

2TB SSD and 16 meg of memory
idunno

But one thing I did do was update the operating system to Monterey before I tried Trainz... dohh

I'm suspecting that might be why.

So I cant tell you one way or the other right now.

This probably would draw better comments if you posted it in the Parts and labor panel. maybe one of the Moderators will see it and move it.

Bill

Since you are talking Mac... you might also consider the Trainz Mac forum. There is good Mac discussion there.

I forget if the OP can edit titles on this forum. It should have "Mac" or "Mac M1" in the title to draw attention of the talented Mac users. (Most Trainz users are using Windows.)

I run Trainz on Windows but I also have installs on my Macs, but they are so old I'm not much help to you. How a wish I could afford a new mini M1 for my normal work on Mac.

Yup that was the problem for me is OS Monterey. I reinstalled Big Sur and all is well again in my Trainz world (back to work)

Back