NEW AMD 8 CORE BULLDOZER CPU DO IN JUNE

Perhaps, but I upgraded from a P4 to an i7 and I have no idea whether Trainz makes any use of 4 cores or not, but the whole thing is just so much faster! :cool:

Paul

That upgrade makes sense. Driver makes good use of 2 cores, and CMP can use both the 4 cores and the 4 virtual hyperthreaded cores.

Cheerio John

Can one of you that has more money than brain cells, please inform me as to why anyone would spend a months wages on a computer with a processor, that nobody has written a program to run on it ?

As far as I'm concerned (and I am your normal , everyday human being) you don't buy the machine until someone has made something that bloody needs it.

Or are we talking "AMERICAN" here ?
like ....... "Weve invented the atomic bomb, lets invent a reason to drop the bugger.

Can one of you that has more money than brain cells, please inform me as to why anyone would spend a months wages on a computer with a processor, that nobody has written a program to run on it ?

As far as I'm concerned (and I am your normal , everyday human being) you don't buy the machine until someone has made something that bloody needs it.

like ....... "Weve invented the atomic bomb, lets invent a reason to drop the bugger.
That is exactly what we are arguing here. It is not needed other then who has the biggest you know what.

I do however find the last statement of yours somewhat offensive in the fact it seems to be a blanket statement and trying to stereotype.

Simple, their are programs that will run on it and use alot if not all of the advantages. I've got a i7 975, thats got 4 cores and 4 virtual ones, 8 cores in total to windows, Fire up 3DS Max and ooo look all 8 cores are being used, hit the render button and all 8 cores are being used to 100%. People buy the best or what they perceive to be the best because they want the best.

We will all need one eventually, Trainz 2020 will run so smooth with it's ability to use 8 or more cores and a Terabite of ultra fast memory, all from our new "oh so fast" huge SDD's and through the GPU card that can run 20 HD screens while doing the washing and ironing at the same time.
Can't wait for that. :hehe:

Its true, that a fast dual core will run todays software and games nearly as well as a quad core or 6 core cpu. But, nothing wrong with looking forward to when software catches up and makes good use of all those cores. I bought a quad core for that reason, not because I needed to, but because programmers will eventually make use of them. And multitasking is another reason to have more than 2 cores, be downloading files, browsing the internet, having a game running to alt-tab in/out of instantly when you want. Dual cores bog down under heavy multitasking, where a quad core can swap those threads around to idle cores. And also, next version of operating systems will likely become more capable of using extra cores too.

Its true, that a fast dual core will run todays software and games nearly as well as a quad core or 6 core cpu. But, nothing wrong with looking forward to when software catches up and makes good use of all those cores. I bought a quad core for that reason, not because I needed to, but because programmers will eventually make use of them. And multitasking is another reason to have more than 2 cores, be downloading files, browsing the internet, having a game running to alt-tab in/out of instantly when you want. Dual cores bog down under heavy multitasking, where a quad core can swap those threads around to idle cores. And also, next version of operating systems will likely become more capable of using extra cores too.

One big problem with cpus is heat. It limits the speed you can run the cpu at. Another problem is the cpu is made up of a number of components and keeping all the buffers filled and all the bits running at top speed is another problem.

Hyperthreading is an attempt to tackle the second problem, multiple cores attempts to tackle the first problem by spreading out the hot bits.

So if you are using a wordprocessor, zipping a file and doing something else that is cpu intensive multiple cores have an advantage. For a single program though they add complexity.

The more cores you have the more heat you generate so you need to reduce the speed of each processor to keep the heat under control. This means that you can run a dual core processor faster than the same quad using the same technology.

So perhaps your sentence should have read "Its true, that a quad, 6, 8 or 10 core will run todays software and games nearly as well as a fast dual core cpu." It's certainly true for Trainz in Driver.

Cheerio John

Well, there are debates about dual-core vs quad or better, but really with the Intel i series cpus, and the upcoming AMD bulldozer, they all have turbo mode, which will auto manage the heat from each cpu versus each core's speed, so the speed argument is just about nullified, and Intel i5, etc can hit very high speeds over 4 ghz, if overclocked. Not known yet how well the bulldozer will do, but anyway any quad core or better cpu running at even 2.6 ghz can already push a midrange to mid-high video card to its limits. Thats why I figure my i5-750 at 3.3 ghz is still good enough even if I upgrade my video card to a GTX 580. For a single video card setup any Intel i5 or i7 can push it.

one of the good things about the new am3+ motherboards with the 990x chipset, they support both crossfire and sli

Single video card for me. SLI or crossfire has always seemed like a gimmick to me. Applications have to have a profile made, so that sli or crossfired video cards can be used properly, or they are no better than a single card. Nothing against anyone who thinks different, but by the time I want better performance than my old video card, a newer card is out thats faster. Granted, I only upgrade once a year or so.

Back