NEW AMD 8 CORE BULLDOZER CPU DO IN JUNE

nugget2225

for any of you that are ready to do a major upgrade to your pc, you should hold off till mid june, the new 32nm 8 core bulldozer cpu is coming, and its suppose to blow the i7 away,if you currenty have an am3 cpu and wanting to start early, you can already buy the am3+ boards if you look around , i bought mine from compusa/tigerdirect. the am3 cpu's will work in the am3+ boards , but the am3+ cpu's will not work in the am3 boards.i prepared my amd setup for the bulldozer last month. just a thought.

TS2010/12 uses a maximum of two cores in Driver. for the moment there doesn't seem much point in having more cores available,they just sit there doing virtually nothing, adding to the heat build up in the PC and forcing the cores that are being used to run at a lower clock speed.

Cheerio John

YES I REALIZE THIS

the discussion here people are wanting to upgrade there pc's i am sure that trainz is not the only thing that people do with there pc's

I build my routes in surveyor, on my GF's ancient 2 Gb Toshiba Satellite P105 laptop that has a 160Gb Hard drive, and an Open GL carpy video card ... and then I transfer the finished routes to a Desktop that has a good video card ... why waste a good PC on surveyor chores ?

Tell us what exactly would you use that would be able to make use of 8 megga super really cool cores?
Do you have a list of common programmes that can make full use of 4 cores.
You also might want to research the i7 a little deeper too. ;)

8 Cores is Pointless as John Whelan has stated.

Heat will be your enemy.
Software will be your enemy.

For Gaming, you are best to have a Dual Core with Ample Ram on a 64Bit System. Your money will be better served with a Dual Core GPU Setup.

Heat will be your enemy.

For Gaming, you are best to have a Dual Core with Ample Ram on a 64Bit System. Your money will be better served with a Dual Core GPU Setup.
so you use your pc only for trainz huh, what a waste of money, there are plenty of high end software out there that will use multiple cores, i wasnt pertaining the new bulldozer cpu just for trainz, and more than 2 cores must be used in trainz, as i stated earlier i turned 4 of the 6 cores off that i have now and trainz ran like crap, so explain that? Not to mention how many 64 bit games have you seen, i know trainz doesnt support 64 bit systems, so whats the point in having a 64 bit os, you might as well just stick with windows xp sp3 with 4 gigs of ram, trainz wont use more than 2 gigs of ram under full load, you are contradicting yourself, and 2 core cpu's are the thing of the past , useless hardware in my opinion.trainz is more cpu dependant than the graphics card.My Amd 6 core now never runs over 40c under full load either.

Last edited:
so you use your pc only for trainz huh, what a waste of money, there are plenty of high end software out there that will use multiple cores, i wasnt pertaining the new cpu just to trainz, and more than 2 cores must be used in trainz, as i stated earlier i turned 4 of the 6 cores off that i have now and trainz ran like crap, so explain that?
There is not as much software as you may think there is. The most software can use at the moment is 4 cores. But the amount of programs or software that even use 4 is very low.
I use a quad core myself I found that that is exactly where you want to be, any less and performance can suffer, and any more is essentially useless for the time being until the software catches up with the hardware.

It is also very easy to explain why it ran like crap on 2 cores as opposed to having all 6 active. Pending how your particular CPU is made, it may be running only at 2/6th what it should be. So if you have a 3.5GHz clock, divide that by 6, then take that answer and multiply that by 2 and you have your answer about how fast your new clock speed is. Which is well...lets say crap?

so you use your pc only for trainz huh, what a waste of money, there are plenty of high end software out there that will use multiple cores, i wasnt pertaining the new bulldozer cpu just for trainz, and more than 2 cores must be used in trainz, as i stated earlier i turned 4 of the 6 cores off that i have now and trainz ran like crap, so explain that? Not to mention how many 64 bit games have you seen, i know trainz doesnt support 64 bit systems, so whats the point in having a 64 bit os, you might as well just stick with windows xp sp3 with 4 gigs of ram, trainz wont use more than 2 gigs of ram under full load, you are contradicting yourself, and 2 core cpu's are the thing of the past , useless hardware in my opinion.trainz is more cpu dependant than the graphics card.My Amd 6 core now never runs over 40c under full load either.
Now your not understanding the fact that there is more overhead then just trainz running and using 2GBs. 32bit OS's max out at 3.5XX gigs of ram. So on average windows eats up 512MB(32bit XP) by itself brings you to 3 gigs right off the bat. Then run trainz and you bring your total down to 1 gig left. The average person has more process in the background that will take up that last gig of memory and bring the computer to a crawl because it will have to begin to access virtual memory which is slow.
A 64bit OS can circumvent that simply because you can throw more RAM at it. the OS will use 1 gig instead of 512MB(generally speaking) Then trainz can suck down another 2 gigs as well as the rest of your processes can suck down another gig, all while you have a little left over so you can operate without grinding to halt because of going to virtual memory for help.
However there is a point I think where an over the top amount of ram is useless as well. Just like 6 or 8 core CPUs.

the only point i was trying to make is the builder is suppose to have a complete overhaul and be 32nm and designed much better compared to the older amd cpu's which in theory will run the games better even if only using 2 cores

the only point i was trying to make is the builder is suppose to have a complete overhaul and be 32nm and designed much better compared to the older amd cpu's which in theory will run the games better even if only using 2 cores
Kind of a given that any newer hardware would run better then older hardware, but that is only to an extent. To much is always good for future proofing but not necessarily needed for a long time to come. 10 core CPUs will most likely be out before the majority of the software even takes advantage of 4 cores.

Well I am going to make a couple more improvements on my box, but the new AMD processor will be one of them:hehe:

About the only thing original on my Dell from when it was bought 2 1/2 years ago or so, is the DVD drive and the processor and motherboard and the case.

So I was able to snag a thermal take V3 case rather cheaply (35 bucks shipping and all) and I will be putting everything in that case along with four 100 CFM fans and a fan controller.

Thought about buying a third-party X 58 motherboard, but the only advantage that would give me would be overclocking and SLI, neither of which I'll probably do with this processor.

So once I re-case it, that should be just about everything I can do to this Dell and it should continue to run like it's running now, and I'll be as happy as can be hopefully for another 2 1/2 years.

Well I am going to make a couple more improvements on my box, but the new AMD processor will be one of them:hehe:

About the only thing original on my Dell from when it was bought 2 1/2 years ago or so, is the DVD drive and the processor and motherboard and the case.

So I was able to snag a thermal take V3 case rather cheaply (35 bucks shipping and all) and I will be putting everything in that case along with four 100 CFM fans and a fan controller.

Thought about buying a third-party X 58 motherboard, but the only advantage that would give me would be overclocking and SLI, neither of which I'll probably do with this processor.

So once I re-case it, that should be just about everything I can do to this Dell and it should continue to run like it's running now, and I'll be as happy as can be hopefully for another 2 1/2 years.
Very good case you choose:p Good for push pull configuration of the fans:hehe:

Heat will be your enemy.

I have an AMD dual core on win 7 32bit with a nvidia GT8600 video card with 2gb ddr2 (as well as 1500gb hdd) 1tb and 500gbhdd's)) and ts2009 runs perfectly on it ... i only play trainz and wow cataclysm and sometimes sims3 and need for speed world with no problems .. i don't know why someone would put a posting up telling people to hold off on upgrading their pc's until this so called cpu comes out .. i'm not even going to do this until i really need to and that probly wont be for another 6 years

i dont want to make this sound rude, i was simply trying to point out that the new cpu was coming out, and amd is comparable to the speed of intel cpu's, and the core 8 bulldozer is suppose to have a gpu controller built on and its 32nm chip as i have said earlier, and this cpu will be future proof, so for a future proof cpu and now with the 990 chipset that just came out as well, the trainz game will probably run better and its the first new design for amd in over 10 years, i dont understand why everyone wants to knock this up coming chips,trainz will more than likely run better on the bulldozer chip just because the way its been overhauled, so for a new motherboard around 100 bucks that supports the bulldozer cpu , and the chip itself will probably run around 200 or so thats a pretty cheap upgrade, and its not the fact that trainz doesnt use more than 2 cores, i am just trying to point out that you will have alot more ability at multitasking. I use to be an Intel fan but when i started using amd and realized its comparable to speeds thats why i switched, so for people using high end apps, would you rather pay 1,000 for a unlocked intel 990x or 2-300$ on a cpu that will run close or just as fast.overall your just gonna have more of a future proof pc, and if trainz ever becomes 64 bit compatible and is able to use more than 2 cores , thats gonna be a big leap for the trainz community, i mean come on xfire a chat client is already 64 bit compatible , its time to start moving into the future, and i also use my pc for alot of video encoding, i just dont understand why people have such a negative outlook towards future devolopement.

I have an AMD dual core on win 7 32bit with a nvidia GT8600 video card with 2gb ddr2 (as well as 1500gb hdd) 1tb and 500gbhdd's)) and ts2009 runs perfectly on it ... i only play trainz and wow cataclysm and sometimes sims3 and need for speed world with no problems .. i don't know why someone would put a posting up telling people to hold off on upgrading their pc's until this so called cpu comes out .. i'm not even going to do this until i really need to and that probly wont be for another 6 years

Yes but your requirement is functional and you know what it is. Many people don't think that way and can be hyped or sold into buying something of dubious value simply because it is the latest.

Cheerio John

Yes but your requirement is functional and you know what it is. Many people don't think that way and can be hyped or sold into buying something of dubious value simply because it is the latest.

Cheerio John

Too true.

In fact, the entire computer/consumer electronics industry DEPENDS on people thinking that way.

Too true.

In fact, the entire computer/consumer electronics industry DEPENDS on people thinking that way.
Perhaps, but I upgraded from a P4 to an i7 and I have no idea whether Trainz makes any use of 4 cores or not, but the whole thing is just so much faster! :cool:

Paul

Back