Need Help recovering my routes

lewisner

Fairly recently I completed a total rebuild of my PC where nearly everything is new, except for I kept the D drive (a Samsung EVO 970 which had Trainz 2019 on it). I now have a windows 10 PC with Trainz 2019 installs from April 2022, April 2023 and one from April 2023 on an external hard drive but my routes and content are missing from all of them. In December 2022 I copied the whole of C Drive including presumably the saved copies of my routes to the external drive using Windows Easy Transfer but typically for my luck it appears Windows 10 doesn't support WET so I can't open the files.
Can anyone help ?

Have you looked on your source drive to see if the files are there? If so, just copy and paste.

Have you looked on your source drive to see if the files are there? If so, just copy and paste.

The Easy Transfer files are on the external hard and were created when my PC was still Windows 7. My PC is now Windows 10 and thus I cannot open the files. The only idea I have is to install Windows 7 on my laptop and open the files using that but it would be a last ditch option.

Until a few minutes ago, I had no idea what Windows Easy Transfer is. But I spent a few seconds in Google by searching on: windows easy transfer windows 10

I came across this:

https://blog.techygeekshome.info/2022/08/windows-easy-transfer/

I have no idea whether this is even legit. Sometimes Google searches yield a vast wasteland of spammy sites.

But spending time on Google might be your best bet. Good luck.

Windows Easy Transfer is similar to Samsung Magician.

I have 2 drives on my Laptop...C: n D:

Programs are on C: and Trainz is on D:

So if I changed my D Drive out for repair, or enlargement to more space, I would just take old D: Drive and setup as External, and do a Point and select your Local Data Folder Directory by Clicking on Trainz TRS2019 Platinum or whatever your Trainz Directory name is, and Trainz will grab everything in that Local Data File.

You cannot open the files, because it is one huge Data Base, so you are selecting the Directory with by clicking on this ... 3 Dots on the Right side in Trainz Settings........Trainz will then drill down thru your default Local Directory name and grab what's in that Directory and Port it into your new Drive......

I'm an Old DOS guy, DOS 2.0 Long before Windows was born on 286 SX and 386 SX Machines Etc......On pretty much any Drive you take out of your Computer, you should be able to see all the Files and Directories to Copy Etc to other Drives, with one Ca-vet, if your Drive was Encrypted then that is another issue.? Then you would need to Decrypt your Files. Beyond the scope of this message.

Read below this next picture....LOCATING YOUR LOCAL DATA FOLDER.

It should never matter what version of Windows you have on a Drive, all Folders and Files should be visible to view on Old Drives, not to Launch, but to View, Copy or Delete as you Wish......

Hope this helps.....

Thanks for the advice however https://www.ubackup.com/windows-10/windows-easy-transfer-is-not-available-in-windows-10-4125.html

"[FONT=&quot]With it, you can transfer selected files in batch with USB Easy Transfer Cable, removable media or across a network, which is much more convenient than manual copying. Even today, many people will first think of using it to migrate data between computers with different OS, like Windows 7 to Windows 10, Windows 8 to Windows 10, etc. But they will soon be disappointed by the fact that [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Windows Easy Transfer is not available in Windows 10[/FONT][FONT=&quot]."[/FONT]

While being a bit more inconvenient, advanced file-sharing does the trick as well. I use that to share many files and folders of files between various machines on my home network.

In order for this to work, you need to log into your machine with a password.

Current update after advice on a PC forum I installed VMware Workstation on my PC then installed Windows 7 Pro as a Virtual OS. By doing this I was able to open the WET files but still cannot find the CDPs that I saved EVERY day.

All of my efforts have failed so far so my conclusion as of now is that I have lost 3 years work. I will continue searching for a while but it looks as though I am done with Trainz for good.

Your routes and other stuff should be fine, these are located in Local and Packaged.

The Local folder contains everything you have downloaded from the DLS, the Packaged folder contains all of your purchased content and of course the Original folder contains the default content 'Don't mess with this folder'.

What you need to do is:

1) Launch Trainz
2) DO NOT launch the game
3) At the top you will see some menus 'File, Edit, Developer'. Click the Developer menu and choose 'Rebuild Database'.

Allow Trainz to rebuild the entire database and everything should work normally.

If however, if didn't work.

1) Back up the following folders Local and Packaged; ONLY! Do not back up anything else.
2) Uninstall Trainz, then restart your computer
3) Reinstall Trainz
4) Ideally, your backup of the Local and Packaged folders should be archived in a 'Rar' file. Extract this to your Local Data Folder. Overriding the current 'Local and Packaged' folders.
5) Launch Trainz, then at the launcher Click 'Developer' then Rebuild Database.

Everything should be fixed.

A solid warning! DO NOT backup

Backups
Cashe
Editing
Libraries
Original

Optional: Backup Screenshots, not really needed unless you have some good screenshots you want to keep.

DO NOT backup any files with '.tdx or .dmp'

Hope this all helps, best of luck :cool:

Hi everybody, it's been a rough year and I haven't played Trainz since starting this thread but I have managed to recover some of my work. However, on one of my routes I have about 16 Autosaves in Content Manager but I can't see how to identify the date they were saved on. Is there any way to do this ?

Hi everybody, it's been a rough year and I haven't played Trainz since starting this thread but I have managed to recover some of my work. However, on one of my routes I have about 16 Autosaves in Content Manager but I can't see how to identify the date they were saved on. Is there any way to do this ?
In Content Manager, right-click on one of the columns across the top. You can then pick the columns you want to add. When you add them, they are placed inconveniently on the far right. I recommend adding them all. You can resize them by dragging the line between the columns - the cursor changes to a double arrow, and you can move the columns around by clicking on the name and dragging the column into the order you want them.

Hi Lewsner. Not wanting to be out of order here, but looking at your post #7, your path to the install should include the build number, like so:
D:\Trainz TRS2019 Platinum\build acnkplkx1, but using whatever your build folder is. At least, that works for mine.

Thanks for the replies gents, @JCitron I added the columns but it just says 9 March 2024 for everything as thats when I retrieved them. I still have the Windows Easy Transfer file and I've bought a used Windows 10 laptop for £21 which I should be able to use to open the file (fingers crossed).

Click installation dates as every new session will create a new installed date. Only modified changes its date after a DBR. You can then check the date order of the folders.

What is the difference between "original" and "local" folders? When I install a new route, why are both these folders filled?

original -- Assets downloaded from the DLS
packages -- Packages downloaded from the Trainz Store
local -- Assets installed from other sources or modified

If original or packaged assets are modified, the unmodified assets is still available in the original or packages folder (for revert to original).

Peter

Back