Need a better way to grade the ground

bisbeejim

Hi all,

I used to operate a motor grader and build the road on top of the grade. In Trainz I've been making the rails, then applying the slope using the grade function, then grading the ground up to the ties (or roadbed as it is sometimes called in the U.S.). My current layout has a rail height of 300 meters (around 9000 feet). Consquently my right hand (I'm right handed) is now extensively suffering from hours and hours of trying to grade the roadbed using the mouse. :(

It there some control that will automatically set the ground to the proper height of the roadbed? This will save me a lot of time and save my right hand.

Jerry

Open the Advanced tab on the track layer and use "Apply Vertex" by puttting in different heights. Also use your ruler to measure a certain measure of track, say 200 or 300 feet at a time. Then apply the height vertex at the end of your laid out track spline. After a few of these bump the "Spline smooth buttom" and tap towards the middle of the raised track. Your ground automatically pops up. Its better to do it this way than lay the track after you have made a hilly grade. Through trial and error I find this works best for me.

Dale

Hi all,

I used to operate a motor grader and build the road on top of the grade. In Trainz I've been making the rails, then applying the slope using the grade function, then grading the ground up to the ties (or roadbed as it is sometimes called in the U.S.). My current layout has a rail height of 300 meters (around 9000 feet). Consquently my right hand (I'm right handed) is now extensively suffering from hours and hours of trying to grade the roadbed using the mouse. :(

It there some control that will automatically set the ground to the proper height of the roadbed? This will save me a lot of time and save my right hand.

Jerry
search APPLY GRADIANT in forums and all will be revieled

cheers, patchy

Thanks, now I know what that button does. However, it leads to another question. Is there a way to have the entire layout graded with just click of a button?

Thanks, now I know what that button does. However, it leads to another question. Is there a way to have the entire layout graded with just click of a button?

under the topography, there is a "slope" terrain, along with "threshold" will give a nice grade.

The problem with the topography one is that it will only point towards the four compass points, the base height is always 0, and any more that a small amount of threshold will make a slope that no train can overcome.

Heres how I do it if you want it neat.
The height change is for MP WOOD it may vary on other tracks it,s just a matter of finding the value.
1. Two tracks ( mp wood ) laid side by side for comparison
grade1qw4.jpg

2. Both raised using the Apply gradient Tool set at 1.25 ( Red Arrows )
grade2sn0.jpg

3.This was leveled using the Smooth Spline height Tool which leaves a rough ballast line & a gap under the track ( This is what is trying to be graded in ) usually using the raise Height up tool in Topology
grade3sw0.jpg

grade4zm9.jpg

This is my way
Steps 1,2 & 3 are the same.Lay the track,Raise it then smooth it
Then
1. Find the height of each spline point & subtract 0.30 from the height & reset the height to the new values ( the green bits )
grade2sn0.jpg

The track is now graded ed into the ground with a smooth edge along the sleepers
grade5uh2.jpg

The gap you are trying to fill is gone
grade6yi2.jpg

The 2 grades the closest one is with lowered track the other shows the gap which is left to fill with the height tool
The finished grade is within .01 of the original grade selected in most cases.
grade7gt7.jpg

That worked well but I'm still wondering if...

That worked well but I'm still wondering if there is a single button that will raise the topography in the entire layout, because right now it is all done by mouse click after mouse click.

Jerry
KUID:386888

By dragging the mouse while holding the button when trying to grade an incline you usually have to go over it a number of times in both directions up & down as you are only trying to fill a 1/4 mtr gap allot of the time you over fill & have to go back over it to lower it again.
I think mouse clicks in one place at a time is quicker.

But why it the track always above the ground is there any reason for this.Shouldn't the track & ground match heights?

dave

Try applying the gradient (or using any other tool such as terrain, for example), while holding LMB, hold down RMB and you can apply terrain/paint terrain while moving the camera around the layout. Works well for testuring large areas. Just hover around a particular area for a higher altitude and vice versa. This needs a little bit of practice for precision.

I've driven in well over a billion pins over 200+ miles of mountain freight rail before I came across this thread. :'( I tried -0.30 in a few detailed stretches and the track looks really good.

Last edited:
Actually the gap you see looking at the track from the side is the transparent edges of the ballast profile that are created intentionally by the alpha channel/texture used with the track. It allows the track edge to blend into the ground texture when viewed from above the track. The side effect is the gap you notice when viewed from the side.

Bob Pearson

"...raise the topography in the entire layout..."

That worked well but I'm still wondering if there is a single button that will ..."raise the topography in the entire layout..."
Jerry
KUID:386888

Jerry: I'm not sure if this is what you are after...but there is a program called "TranzDEM" that will let you raise the entire ground elevation of a route in one click.
http://www.rolandziegler.de/
On the top toolbar there is a selection called "Trainz". Under that selection there is an option for "Adjust Elevations for entire route". When selected, it will give you a warning to backup. If OK, then you will be given a "change elevations in entire route" window. It will have a dropdown window for "Map selection" and a window for "relative adjustments" in meters (difference). I find this a great tool when merging routes of different elevations.
If this is not what you are looking for, then, nevermind.
Durff

I wonder if it's possible for someone to create a special gradient object?

I'm imagining a super-spline object, or several splines fixed together side by side in the one object, so that it's wide enough for major terrain shaping. Raising the height of any spline point at one end will raise the height of that whole end. When you apply the "raise terrain to spline" button, it affects all the ground beneath the object not just 1 square either side.

You could get any gradient you want using the normal control buttons and stretch it to any length you like.

I wonder if it's possible for someone to create a special gradient object?

I'm imagining a super-spline object, or several splines fixed together side by side in the one object, so that it's wide enough for major terrain shaping. Raising the height of any spline point at one end will raise the height of that whole end. When you apply the "raise terrain to spline" button, it affects all the ground beneath the object not just 1 square either side.

You could get any gradient you want using the normal control buttons and stretch it to any length you like.

It would be good if it was adjustable in length & width then if it were a spline object you would be able to place spline points where you wanted on each splined section.Each point could then be raised or lowered independently to create mountains valleys etc over a board

My First Global Purchase...

8) ...was TransDEM, Trainz Version...you have much support, and at about $33.--, you can't lose!

No mention is given in this tread, about why you wish to replicate a route 300m above sea level.

What is your objective? I there a particular railroad you wish to mod?

The easiest way, is to download the real world map of a particular location, and make UTM tiles of the Topo map, and go from there.

I salute you, bisbeejim, for the skill, of operating a motor grader, that is a high paying job! There are plenty of opportunities for land grading in Trainz!

Caterpillar No#12, or Galion?

Anyway, if your trying to re-create in Trainz, using digital elevation modeling(DEM), greatly helps, all you have to do, is add gradients, for track, and roadways.

Back