My view of Auran's move on 04/06

There are mixed views on the whole subject. I'm just expressing my views and/or thoughts so don't eat me alive. :)

Support for 04/06 stopped some time ago. If you wish to believe that hosting content is support, then so be it. That is your opinion and you are entitled to it. I, however, don't see it as support. Strict error checking is not really something I can call support as it should have been implemented along time ago.

As for the folks at Auran/N3V stopping the hosting of new 04/06 content, I have to agree with it from a business standpoint. As a content creator, it affects me to a degree. Do I want people to easily access my content by having it on the DLS ? Yes but not at the expense of excluding the possible thousands of 04/06 users. I say possible because nobody really knows. Will people be able to access my content easily after Sept ? Yes, as anything made for those versions will be hosted at our site.

Many people are sticking with these versions for one reason or another. Who are we to tell them they are wrong or right ? Many of these people have purchased the newer versions as well. Just because they choose not to use it doesn't mean they haven't supported Auran/N3V. The one thing that strikes me in a bad way is this. Just because the game works fine for you doesn't mean it's going to work fine for everyone. That's been proven countless times in the past. I've seen people post that 09/10 may works the same or better than 04 did for them. While this may be true for them, it isn't for everyone. For me, it does but then again, I recently bought a computer designed for gaming. 1 gig video card, 9 gigs of ram, etc.

My view as a content creator. Do I make content that uses the features from 09/10 ? It depends on what it is. Most of the content I make has no need for normal mapping or things like that. I can give it better higher resolution textures and most can't tell the difference. I have to bring this snippet into focus.
speed trees which is meaningless going 100mph with a passenger train
This brings up the whole issue of 3d trees versus the old trees. While 3d trees look good, they aren't necessary for everything. A mix between the both would be ideal. Or maybe I'm missing something since I don't currently have 2010.

Most of us at TPR have moved on to 09 and soon to 10. It took us quite along time to do so. Like many, we have to keep up with the times. It isn't easy to move on to something new once you've gotten used to and accustomed to something. We didn't support 06 and didn't get involved with TC for many reasons. We are in a slow and sometimes painful process of upgrading all of our old routes to at least 09 standards. Don't worry 04/06 users, you'll still be able to get the old versions.

To end this post. My advice to everyone is to actually read through posts from Chris and Zec before trying to start a conspiracy theory. If what they have said does not hold out to be true, then you have every right to doubt anything they say in the future. At least give them a chance. I've been very critical of them in the past. Over the years, I've come to know and talk to some of them. They really are good guys. Rob and Chris have given me advice, tips and help many times and I appreciate every bit of it.

That is correct Paul(zmay); if a TRS2004 asset is uploaded and gets on the DLS now, it will work in TRS2010.

I still create assets that work in both TRS2004 and TRS2010, but I have to be realistic about what I'm reading on these forums about the changes in September.

Just to make sure I'm following this right...

Content that is uploaded, that will work in 04/06, will still be accepted, only if said content is able to pass the checks that content for 09/10 have to go through?

Or, do the tags specifically have to say 09/10?

Cuz... I haven't posted any content yet, but I would like to post it listing 04/06 as the minimum version it will work with, if I have been able to verify that it does in fact work properly with 04/06...

If it is just that the new content, has to pass the 09/10 checks to be accepted, I don't see much of a problem to continue to have 04/06-tagged content.

I've seen several different interpretations of this, while I was catching up, so this is the gist I have from some of the posters.

Having content compatible with 04/06, but tagged as 09/10, may make finding compatible content difficult.

(ps: any way I can still purchase 2006? 2009 will not install on my Win2k machine)

-- Smoovious

And as long as we continue to allow people to upload assets created to TRS04 standards then we will continue to have the 'hassle' of repairing them for more advanced versions of the game. Insisting that only those with post-TRS06 versions (with higher standards of error checking) can upload after September is the best filter that Auran have to ensure error free assets on the Download Station - something that most people say they want.

As an owner of TS10, I want an error free DLS so I have confidence in downloading to my game. We will not get that if Auran continue to permit uploading from a six year old version of the game with unacceptably permissive standards of error checking. Roll on September I say! :hehe:

Paul

Paul,

You summed it up nicely here.

Is there any reason why content created for TRS2004 can't be created without errors? This would ensure that the content works across current versions of the program. The problem is there was no error checking in the previous content handler, so now errors are more prevalent than they were before.

Even human-driven error checking takes nothing mroe than an check over for typographical errors and missing texture files, which appear to be most prevalent problems in the majority of the content.

The reason why I say this is because I was able to repair all but 35 items I had installed on my system from the DLS. Of the errors, a majority were typos, the next in line was missing textures, and finally broken textures, which were easy to fix as well. Then there are scripting errors, which I'm not sure if it's because the scripting language has changed, or again because the error checking is no stict and picks up on errors that were always there.

John

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but it is related to the topic. I am confused about the compatibility of the older versions of trainz with the newer ones ( ie. 09/10). I have literally thousands of items on my 04 version and would like the prospects of upgrading ( maybe to 09). Would I be able to use my 04 items/ routes in trs09 ( or trs10 for that matter)? If so, how well do they run? Also, how difficult would it be to convert those item if a small change needed to be made? Finally, would I be able to use say o4 and 06 content on the same route in an 09 version? :eek:
Any input would be greatly appreciate!

Thanks!
gambroe

All I can say is that Auran picked one of the worst unempolyment, hard econonic times, to upgrade their software so that only high end PC's, and choice few laptops can run 09/10, when most people can not afford an alienware 7Gb HD, 1GB Dedicated Graphics Memory machine.

Will my HP 3Gb Ram, 1Tb HD, Nividia 8700, run TS09/10 ? Probably not ? No Sale !

Last edited:
All I can say is that Auran picked one of the worst unempolyment, hard econonic times, to upgrade their software so that only high end PC's, and choice few laptops can run 09/10, when most people can not afford an alienware 7Gb HD, 1GB Dedicated Graphics Memory machine.....snip....

It would be difficult to say the N3V/Auran picked the wrong time to publish TS2009/2010.

The control may be in the hands of CDC in China, who invested heavily in Auran at the time of FURY. The capital CDC invested may have given them control over what N3V/Auran does going forward.

http://www.tsumea.com/australasia/australia/news/310307/australian-game-developer-secures-investment-from-cdc-games

It's all about the money, nothing more, nothing less.

All I can say is that Auran picked one of the worst unempolyment, hard econonic times, to upgrade their software so that only high end PC's, and choice few laptops can run 09/10, when most people can not afford an alienware 7Gb HD, 1GB Dedicated Graphics Memory machine.

Will my HP 3Gb Ram, 1Tb HD, Nividia 8700, run TS09/10 ? Probably not ? No Sale !

Though you haven't specified processes or OS, your machine is better than mine, which runs TS2010 beautifully. Maybe your OS is the issue (stick with XP - if your machine came with Vista or W7, consider reformatting with XP if XP drivers are available from the manufacturer.)

The configuration is the other cause of performance problems. Shut down unnecessary services, and try to run without anti-virus if possible.

I also caution against buying pre-built machines. Manufacturers like Dell and HP always preload machines with performance-robbing $%&, not the least of which will be garbage AV software (Norton's or McAfee's.) And the worst part about Norton's or McAfee's is that you really can't completely get rid of them.

You've probably noticed by now that gamers build their own machines. There's a reason why.

I don't know if this is the right thread for this, but it is related to the topic. I am confused about the compatibility of the older versions of trainz with the newer ones ( ie. 09/10). I have literally thousands of items on my 04 version and would like the prospects of upgrading ( maybe to 09). Would I be able to use my 04 items/ routes in trs09 ( or trs10 for that matter)? If so, how well do they run? Also, how difficult would it be to convert those item if a small change needed to be made? Finally, would I be able to use say o4 and 06 content on the same route in an 09 version? :eek:
Any input would be greatly appreciate!

Thanks!
gambroe

All content should be backwards compatible. What TS2010 changed was the ERROR-CHECKING. TRS2004/2006 was more tolerant of errors than TS2010. From what I can tell from error-fixing, 04/06 could find, for instance, textures and meshes that were incorrectly referenced. TS2010 isn't having that, when run in native mode. While it's nice and dandy that 04/06 was tolerant, that means it also suffers performance-wise and that is, apparently, the big difference between 09/10 and the prior versions.

I have bought myself a Full Lifetime First Class Ticket, so come September, the change won't effect me.

With regards to Trainz 2010, I had my doubts and problems with the simulator at first, but now I've got used to the new program, I love it, it's much better than Trainz 2004, Trainz 2006 and Trainz 2009. I also have Trainz Classics UK, which I still use from time to time, as it offers something different in the way of British steam, deisels and routes.

All in all, I'm happy with what is available to me, and I understand Auran has to make changes and sacrifices, some of which may be a bit cut throat, but it may be the only way to coming through a hostile financial climate, as I see it, things can only get better.

The other day I installed Trainz 2004, and when you put it side by side to Trainz 2010, you can see and hear the difference, Trainz 2010 runs faster than Trainz 2004, it holds more in the routes, and it gives better frame rates, the sound is from where-ever you are in the map, and not from all over the map, and there are more passenger enabled stations, things look more modern and better in Trainz 2010.

My advice is, get a First Class ticket, and from September 2010 you can still get access to the complete download station.

Hope this helps

Joe Airtime

Back