My Permanent Questions Thread

What purpose do these serve?
fcc5f50cc635179dfdd9142f85218e60.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

[video]http://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/avZoQAZ_460sv_v1.mp4[/video]
Is this really how trains turn? The wheels lean into the corner?
If so, how do the 'cones' in this video lean into the corner?
In the video it looks like weights slide inside the wheels, but that can't be right?

Please, explain as simply as possible.

Right about what? It answers your bunch of questions. Yes, it's how trains turn, by making one wheel slightly larger than the other via the "cone". No weights involved just centrifugal force.

It id how they turn, but the leaning isn't the important bit. The bit that makes it turn is the fact that the trains inertia (inertia is the idea that things moving in a straight line want to stay moving in a straight line due to Newton's first law of motion) means the axle moves to the outside of the curve. Because the wheels are coned this means that the area in contact with the outside rail now has a larger diameter than that in contanct with the inside rail. This means the outside wheel travels further than the inside wheel for each revolution of the axle. This means that the outside wheel goes faster than the inside one. This difference in speed then steers the train around the corner.

What type of coaches are these? As the engine has a BR Logo, I would persume they are BR coaches.
Preferably the title(For Example Mk1 BR FK..) would help, as if they are free on the DLS, I'd love to add these coaches to my Trainz collection.

Incase you can't tell, it's got oval windows on the coach ends..
8ffaa3af679e625800160c2972900c66.png
[/URL][/IMG]

They are LNER Thompson carriages, painted in BR Crimson and Cream livery. I don't think there are any in Trainz...

What levers do you guys recommend for GWR Broad Gauge Junctions?
I wish suggestions for the early and late days of Broad Gauge.

Last edited:
Just wondering, is everyone occuiped, busy, or is there something going on?
I only ask as I find no replies unusual, normally within a day or two, varying, I get a reply.

Just wondering, is everyone occuiped, busy, or is there something going on?
I only ask as I find no replies unusual, normally within a day or two, varying, I get a reply.

I've been really busy...

1) Got a new digital piano - a Roland LX-17 $$$$! which replaced an ancient Technics SX667.

2) Been storm chasing online with Daniel Shaw on his premium channel - www.severestormchasing.com.au

3) Preparing for my own storm chasing trip with Roger Hill and his Silver Lining Tours company in a couple of weeks. www.silverliningtours.com

4) Working on some demonstration and lecture material for a museum project I am involved in with another Trainzer

5) Working on my own routes...

6) It's spring and my doctor wants me up and about outside...

So am I busy? :)

Back