My Permanent Questions Thread

So I was watching this YouTube video of a cab view..(Please note part of the desc has been copied n' pasted up)
i1eKD90.gif

Note the track(or whatever it is) in the middle. What is/was this for?

White lights designated this train was not part of the timetable and ran as an extra consist. During the day, they would use flags, but at night they used these lights or markers.

A train with green lights would be an extra train running on a regular schedule - following another scheduled train.

John

I was also looking over this.. let me get this straight...

-White=Could be used for freight or passenger train operating an entirely different service?
-Green=Operating the same service as a train ahead of it?(For example, a service from Baltimore to Ohio)
-Green(2)=Operating the same freight service as a train ahead of it?(A freight from Baltimore to Ohio for example)

Yet again, correct me if I'm wrong..

Last edited:
I've got a new question, still awaiting answer for top gueesed answer there.. ^^^^

Gresley's Articulated Carriages,depending on what side the 'long bogey'(A.K.A The part of the carriage which connects to the one to the rear of it) was, would this make the cariage behind it bend with a corner, rather than go round it, but, have the upper part of the coach 'poke out'?

Or, would it cause both of the coaches to bend with the corner, rather than stiffly?
Or the third and final(and to me most unlikely) guess, would it work like a mallet? The lower half bends round the corner, while the upper half remains stiff.

Yet again, try and keep the answer, for me, simple yet understable. :)
Also, correct if wrong.. ;)

Last edited:

-White=Could be used for freight or passenger train operating an entirely different service?
-Green=Operating the same service as a train ahead of it?(For example, a service from Baltimore to Ohio)
-Green(2)=Operating the same freight service as a train ahead of it?(A freight from Baltimore to Ohio for example)

Yes - White is for those trains that are not part of the schedule like a Christmas passenger special, a railfan traip, etc.

That's correct on the green markers. There will be one train followed by others with the green markers to indicate there are multiple sections. The final end of a train will have the red lights. We don't have to worry about that anymore because the trains aren't that full like they were in the 1900s to 1940s.

I've got a new question, still awaiting answer for top gueesed answer there.. ^^^^

Gresley's Articulated Carriages,depending on what side the 'long bogey'(A.K.A The part of the carriage which connects to the one to the rear of it) was, would this make the cariage behind it bend with a corner, rather than go round it, but, have the upper part of the coach 'poke out'?

Or, would it cause both of the coaches to bend with the corner, rather than stiffly?
Or the third and final(and to me most unlikely) guess, would it work like a mallet? The lower half bends round the corner, while the upper half remains stiff.

Yet again, try and keep the answer, for me, simple yet understable. :)
Also, correct if wrong.. ;)
I;m not really understanding what you're trying to say that sharing a bogie between two pieces of rolling stock does, but it was actually done for these reasons.

1. To cut costs. Over two coaches, only 3 bogies are required instead of four. Plus, fewer wheels/axles are needed.
2. Fewer axles and wheels means less friction and less rolling resistance.
3. Fewer axles and wheels means lower ongoing maintenance costs.

It should be kept in mind that a lot of high-speed trains have bogie-sharing coaches, such as the French TGV.

However, Queensland Rail also has sets of 3 container flat wagons that share bogies!
(so they go separate bogie, shared bogie, shared bogie, separate bogie, next set)

Kieran.

Last edited:
This is what I mean

As you can see...
aeff778d41cb130b44da4035ac2e426b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
As I stated, would this help stock turn with a corner, rather than go round it stiffly?

What you are seeing is how Andi made the bogie as two halves. The real one is a normal bogie but with two pivot points for the ends of the coaches. The gap between them determines the minimum radius the set can go round.

Um... All I understood was the radius part...
In simple terms..

Do you mean the further the wheel sticks out, the sharper a turn it can make?

Still wondering why Gresley designed coaches like these.

I mean the gap between the coaches. One advantage is that the gap can be closer so that the overall length of a rake of coaches will be shorter, so more coaches (passengers. revenue) per platform length.

Last edited:
That's only the way the Trainz coaches have been designed, so that it's easier to see when a bogie is shared in the model. Put two coaches that are like that together and it looks normal.

In real life, the bogie would not be split like that! One coach on its own would look like this...
2.jpg

...and the other would simply not have a bogie at one end.

But they would be permanently together until separated for maintenance, as in the above picture.

Kieran.

Last edited:
I had this dream so I know it's probably complety wrong...

But can electricity(overhead wires) jump to you from at least three feet if you aren't wearing high-vis clothing?

If this is true I'll eat my hat... considering someone said this, in a dream... :confused:

It is a well known fact that electricity is very scared of high-vis jackets, so if you are near a railway, it's safer to wear one. :hehe:

Hi everybody.
It is also university known that you will never get struck by lightning as long as you are always wearing a high visibility jacket. You can even stand with a metal rod held high above your head in a thunder storm and nothing will happen to you as long as you have the high vis on. Electricity is scared to death of high visibility jackets but they must be of yellow reflective, as red reflective does not have the same affect on the lightning.

Bill :D

Last edited:

Still wondering if nobodys sure on this or if was forgotten.. :eek:

Right, wrong? Need correcting?
This is about marker lamps on the front of US Steam trains btw...

Last edited:
Back