My first day as Fireman

Klinger

The Chicago CTA guy
This may seem childish, but I feel the need to brag a little!

Today was my first day assigned as engine crew at the Georgetown Loop. First duty was of course the bottom of the engine crew, Fireman. And its not really a grunt job, its hard work! Basically, at least on an Oil Burner like our little 12, your in charge of the Fire, Water level, and Steam Pressure (no shoveling needed!!). And I was taught the 4 basic rules of firing from my good friend and long time Steam Fireman, Phil Reader.

1. Steam is a Luxury, water is a Necessity
2. One step at a time
3. Think about what your doing
4. Have fun

And boy did I have fun!! I watched and listened for the first run down and up the hill, then was set loose with supervision on run 2. After a brief surprise when the fire went out coming out of the yard, I slowly got the feel for the old girl. She is really a great engine. Easy to steam, very easy to control, just a notch or two makes a huge difference in how she fires. The tricky part was getting the oil on in time for Throttle movement, and shutting it off in time to not smoke out the train. That took a few runs to work out. Going down the hill is easy, going up, thats another story all together

Even with the Diesel helper (4 cars over weight limit for 12) the engine really works. You really have to react quick, and watch, smell, and listen to everything the engine tells you. She will tell you what she wants, you just have to understand.

First run up the hill I trimmed the Injector back, ran it up the hill almost all the way, it was on about 80% of the time. Got to the top, had plenty of water.

Second time up was a little tough, the injector did not want to prime, it started spitting water and steam, so we can up a little low on water, and had to build on the way down, but by the time we reached the Silver Mine stop, plenty of water was in the boiler, backed her down to a nice spot fire.

3rd trip down was easy, had a little bit of building do to, but not much, but at the bottom, the check valve on the branch pipe got stuck. But we fixed it quickly, towards the top though it cut out again, and we had to use the engineers injector

4th and final trip of the day, the check valve gave up completely, was find going down hill, just a little bit of building. But at the Devils Gate Station, it got stuck and we could not fix it. It spit steam and water, so we shut the injector off, and I had Kelvin run his injector on the way up, came back a little low on water, but not bad considering. Spent a little extra time building water in the shop area, but finally got her up to pressure, up on water, and shut everything off.

But boy what a fun day, its a childhood dream come true. And I know they offer fireman and engineer schools across the country, but I got paid to do this!!! After today, I can't imagine spending $1500 to spend 8 hours doing what I did for 10 hours. I'd much rather get paid!!

Meand12.jpg

Last edited:
I envy you...though i still wish I could fire IRCA 40:hehe:

glad to hear you got to fire, and good luck on further trips. just be careful; from what i hear, little 12 can be finicky (driver popping off anyone:eek:)

that was actually related to a very old repair that was done on the axle. Also that was the Railstar days, lots of things went wrong back then.

12 now is a very different engine then she was when the axle broke. You can't really compare the two. Now she has a proper shop force working on her, and she is in the best shape she has been in many many years

Don't worry, I've had the "Fireman" image from the show South Park stuck in my head for the last week while looking at the schedule and seeing my name under the Fireman part of the engine crew.

that was actually related to a very old repair that was done on the axle. Also that was the Railstar days, lots of things went wrong back then.

12 now is a very different engine then she was when the axle broke. You can't really compare the two. Now she has a proper shop force working on her, and she is in the best shape she has been in many many years

I stand humbly corrected. :)

*sings "Casey Jones" for some wierd reason*

Klinger, that sounds GREAT! I've been on the footplate of many QR locos, but have never been allowed to touch anything! (I was scared stiff too!:confused: )

But, soon, I may get the chance to do it again, and possibly blow the whistle! :cool:

Klinger ,

Congrats , and you have every right to brag !
You lookinn' good in your 'uniform' !

DLR

Sounds like third time was a charm! Thanks for letting us know the results of your adventure.:)

The closest i've come to actually firing or driving a steam engine was when Milwaukee 261 came to town one year. the crew was giving cab tours, and there was no room left in the cab, so i sat down in the engineer's seat. they looked at me wierd, so i started to get up, a little bit embarrased. they said, "hey, it's fine, just don't touch anything. We don't wanna take off before monday!" Little did they know i could probably run the engine if i needed to! (theoretically, i don't have the expert knowledge of Klinger or any of the other engineers around here, but i think i've read and seen enough to do it)

Of course, the whole time i was having a "Tim Taylor" moment, all those shiny, beautiful controls inches from my face, and me knowing what they do:D

Been paid to hand fire Southern 630, one of the largest operating 2-8-0's around, all summer, my first summer as a qualified fireman too. Coal fired and no stoker for 10-12 hours a day, 4-5 days a week. Was fun and I'm definitely missing it now, but I have weekends and another summer to look forward to.

ac01b677a6b41a8194880ec6e5cdb5d5.jpg

9cc54507a414637161f8ebe8998c34d9.jpg

e84fb7cb782068fa71593984ff8fc71e.jpg

Last edited:
That's really awesome, dude! This really is like a dream for you. Did you pinch yourself to see if you were really awake?

John

Man, I wish could help drive a train! Someday I want to put my hands on the throttle of big ol' 4115 to Port Jervis :)

Passed my test today and was qualified as a Fireman on the Georgetown Loop.

Was a good day.

Plus I also had the challenge of running 12 alone with 5 cars and no helper engine, now thats a hell of a rush

Back