Much cheaper to build a HSR line in Morocco, do they have unions there?

Euphod

No Friend requests please
http://www.thesundaily.my/news/398081

Interesting figures in this article. I find it a little confusing because the opposition seems to be saying that the money could be better spent on other projects, but the money does not seem to be coming from the government. If that is the case, how can the government spend money on other projects that they don't have anyway? It seems the bulk of it is investment by France.

Now, if China, or some other nation wanted to build HSR in the US using their money, then I would have no issue with it, even if they were to receive the profits.

Africa boasts one other high-speed link -- South Africa's US$3.8-billion Gautrain, which has run at more modest speeds of 160 kph (100 mph) between Johannesburg and the capital Pretoria since early August.

Have you ever taken that line? Is it profitable, or is it subsidized by the government there?

I have not been on the Gautrain yet, still want to , we ride past the line regularly when we visit up country - and I do think it is profitable yes.

Here is an extract from Wiki :
The rail system was built by Bombela Consortium,[SUP][12][/SUP] a partnership between Bombardier Transportation, Bouygues Travaux Publics, Murray & Roberts, the Strategic Partners Group and RATP Développement, the J&J Group and Absa Bank.[SUP][13][/SUP] It is 50% owned by its international partners and 50% by Murray & Roberts and the Strategic Partners Group, the consortium's black economic empowerment component. Initial works for the Gautrain started in May 2006 and construction commenced after the signing of the Concession Agreement between the Gauteng Provincial Government and the Bombela Concession Company on 28 September 2006.

Yeah thanks Euphod..My dream is the Blue Train off course, but the bucks won't allow.. fancy waiting for my ship to arrive so I can ride a train ;)

Back