MSN Virus :(

Hi y'all,

it seems on msn everyon'es telling me that I keep saying

"sorry about all the trouble, I finally fixed the pic... Try it now lol"

and sending a zip file (presumably a virus, it has a filename pic_303 or something)

I've done a virus scan (nothing found), google found nothing useful... still no hope... it sends itself to every contact when they're online, or when they sign in, and keeps doing it until the file is sent (someone did and it was just blocked by windows luckily).... someone said it keeps trying to send itself about 5 times now and makes msn sign out... i think coz it gets sent as soon as signed in.

Any ideas anyone??
thanks
Alex

Maybe try one of the other reputable anti-malware programs, eg Lavasoft AdAware or Sybot Search & Destry. Beware of unknown anti-malware programs through, some of them actually contain nasties. Grisoft/AVG have a freeware anti-rootkit program that might also be worth running.

John

Google is our friend.

MSN has been cursed with many viruses over the years. Google MSN virus, try some of the recommendations, and maybe you can kill it.
Ed

You may want to simply uninstall then reinstall MSN, as the effects of the virus seem to be centered around there. If reinstallation doesn't fix it, launch Task Manager(Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and close any programs that appear out-of-place. Worked for me in the past.

How Rude!

I'll give you two things: One, that is quite a malicious way to spread a virus! Two, if you have a certain anti-damage software, try right-clicking on the zipped file. When the drop down menu appears, find something that is correlative to your anti-whatever program. McAfee, for example, has a "scan" option when you right-click on any file. It's useful when you're downloading from a risky site, or this case would work. You can also run your anti-whatever program, then scroll through the menus until you can find a way to scan a single file. Also, if it's too much to try that second option, use one of the McAfee free trials.

Just a suggestion,
Fred931

Back