moving folders

JohnnyG1973

Hello, my TRS2006 screwed up again (as it often does) and I feel I will be reinstalling it again. Not sure what causes the problem but the first screen pops up where you can select 1)Start 2)Manage Content 3)Options and so on. If I select Start it takes only a few seconds before my task manager says it's not responding. If I select Manage Content it doesn't do anything and Content Manager doesn't even show up on my task manager. I even tried to start the Content Manager by visiting the DLS and selecting something to download hoping it would start automatically...no luck. If I restart my computer it then says that I need to END PROGRAM Content Manager manually. Why would I need to end it if it was never working and never showed up on my windows task manager? GRRRRRR!!! I have never found a fix when this happens other than to uninstall TRS2006 and then reinstall it. This time however I would like to try and save my downloaded content. I have heard this could be done. Do I copy my "local" folder to my desktop before uninstalling and then after reinstalling, replace the new "local" folder with the old one I previously moved to the desktop? Am I correct in thinking this will place all my content except for routes back into the program? I need some help with this please. Thanks in advance....John

Hello, my TRS2006 screwed up again (as it often does) and I feel I will be reinstalling it again. Not sure what causes the problem but the first screen pops up where you can select 1)Start 2)Manage Content 3)Options and so on. If I select Start it takes only a few seconds before my task manager says it's not responding. If I select Manage Content it doesn't do anything and Content Manager doesn't even show up on my task manager. I even tried to start the Content Manager by visiting the DLS and selecting something to download hoping it would start automatically...no luck.

Sometimes, the crashing can be due to the Trainz Asset Database becomming corrupt. Yes, I know some users are soo impaitent, but the TAD does take a long time to rebuild. It takes minutes (or hours if you are unlucky enough!) before you can start Trainz again.

If I restart my computer it then says that I need to END PROGRAM Content Manager manually. Why would I need to end it if it was never working and never showed up on my windows task manager? GRRRRRR!!! I have never found a fix when this happens other than to uninstall TRS2006 and then reinstall it. This time however I would like to try and save my downloaded content. I have heard this could be done.

See above, but that is a big mistake! You are just corrupting the TAD and the backup copy every single time.

Do I copy my "local" folder to my desktop before uninstalling and then after reinstalling, replace the new "local" folder with the old one I previously moved to the desktop? Am I correct in thinking this will place all my content except for routes back into the program? I need some help with this please. Thanks in advance....John
Yes, but you don't need to go as far as this very drastic action. Just go into the root folder (Where you find the TRS2006 file) and delete "assets.tdx" file. Then go into the cache and delete the "assets.bku" file, start Trainz or CMP and leave for some time, it will take a long time to do it. I recommend you don't do anything else on the PC until it is done and also, if you have a laptop, use the fastest speed possible.

Hello, my TRS2006 screwed up again (as it often does) and I feel I will be reinstalling it again. Not sure what causes the problem but the first screen pops up where you can select 1)Start 2)Manage Content 3)Options and so on. If I select Start it takes only a few seconds before my task manager says it's not responding. If I select Manage Content it doesn't do anything and Content Manager doesn't even show up on my task manager. I even tried to start the Content Manager by visiting the DLS and selecting something to download hoping it would start automatically...no luck. If I restart my computer it then says that I need to END PROGRAM Content Manager manually. Why would I need to end it if it was never working and never showed up on my windows task manager? GRRRRRR!!! I have never found a fix when this happens other than to uninstall TRS2006 and then reinstall it. This time however I would like to try and save my downloaded content. I have heard this could be done. Do I copy my "local" folder to my desktop before uninstalling and then after reinstalling, replace the new "local" folder with the old one I previously moved to the desktop? Am I correct in thinking this will place all my content except for routes back into the program? I need some help with this please. Thanks in advance....John
Your problem with CMP happens to me often,this si when CMP crashes and looses the asset database,so it has to rebuild it,so it doesn't apper to open however in task manager it is open.....so you just have to LEAVE IT ALONE while its doing this,just let it sit there,it can take hours but it will start working,also if you loose the asset database and try and start trainz it won't work so you have to let CMP do its thing.

Yes, but you don't need to go as far as this very drastic action. Just go into the root folder (Where you find the TRS2006 file) and delete "assets.tdx" file. Then go into the cache and delete the "assets.bku" file, start Trainz or CMP and leave for some time, it will take a long time to do it. I recommend you don't do anything else on the PC until it is done and also, if you have a laptop, use the fastest speed possible.

Gosh I didn't know that! I did a complete reinstall. :eek:
So here's the current problem I have. I followed the instructions to backup my custom content and routes, and made a copy of the local folder. After the reinstallation, I deleted assets.tdx and the cache folder under Internet, and replaced the local folder back into the Trainz directory.

The routes won't show up! I don't mind losing the trains, but I can't lose the route! I spent hundreds of hours on it and it's almost complete!

(I just did a search and found this thread from once upon a time. Perhaps more people should learn to use this wonderful feature instead of waiting for replies, if any.)

Back