Moving Effect Layers Between Routes

pware

Trainz Veteran
I did a search on this (in Forums and Google) but it came up blank.

How do you move/copy an Effect Layer between Routes?

I have saved the layers as "Presets" (whatever that means) and have exported them as .cdp files to transfer them between different installations of Trainz but there seems to be no "import" function for individual routes? Each new route you create starts with no effect layers.

I created a new route and want to use the same effect layers instead of entering all those settings again.

Any advice welcome.

Peter

Maybe a workaround,
-add a baseboard to a route you like the turfx from, (optional put some turfx there)
-delete all other baseboards (ofc do it on a clone)
-do delete missing assets and save
-the route you want the turfx on, merge with that 1 baseboard route

not tested its just a theory

Save as new Preset
You can now save your own configurations to allow you to chose the same effect configuration in a different route.

Note that you will still need to create and name a new Effect Layer in the new route.

Click Topology Tab -> Advanced Section -> Edit/Add effect layers to open the Effect Layers window.
Choose a Preset from the dropdown list in the Effect Layers window.
Click the Advanced Toggle to expand the window
Adjust the various configurable values to modify the Preset
View the changes in the Preview window
When happy with the results, click the Save icon above the Preview window
The Save dialog opens and you can either save as the same name to overwrite that Preset, or change the name to create a new Preset asset.
TIP:

When painting or filling, if you're wondering why something isn't applying to an area, check your mask settings for that effect layer.

Save as new Preset
You can now save your own configurations to allow you to chose the same effect configuration in a different route.

Thank you stagecoach. You have confirmed what I just noticed. Your method works.

Note that you will still need to create and name a new Effect Layer in the new route.

That is the weak point in the process. You have to create and name the new layer before you can set it to the installed custom layers you previously created and before you see the names you previously used. Nitpicking I know but at least it is a solution.

Back