MOVETRAIN questions

I'm running Trains 22 and am trying to use the Instant Move Train command.

I recently merged two routes into one, but the elevation difference (one is Transdem geography) is too great to attempt a physical connection of the tracks. MOVETRAIN seems, at least in theory to fill the bill, but eight times out of ten, when the train makes the move, it derails except for the engine and I get the error message "instantmovetrain failed during move." For my initial testing, I'm just using two commands within a schedule to make the move; "Drive Via Trackmark" followed by "Instantmovetrain Trackmark:MOVETRAIN_0."

I'm using a long,straight track on both ends of the track markers, both tracks are oriented in the same direction and I have a track direction marker adjacent to the MOVETRAIN_0 track marker. I can't find any rules regarding the placement of this command, so kind of flying blind.

Anyone with experience using MOVETRAIN? Are there any 'rules' or tricks to make this work correctly? Or, know what it is I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

I always use the 'Drive to Trackmark' command and I've not had any problems. I don't use a track direction marker as all that is needed is to make sure the train is landing on track laid in the same forward direction as it itself is moving. If unsure place a wagon on the track to see which way the red and green arrows are pointing.

The fact that you are getting the text string "Trackmark:MOVETRAIN_0" in the driver command indicates that you are using the original version of this command. This has a number of bugs which have been fixed in <kuid:99999:80009> InstantMoveTrain2. The new version drops the text "Trackmark:" from its menu list.

I just tested the latest version and it seems to be working as advertised. I set up a command loop:-

Drive Via Trackmark Test1
InstantMoveTrain2 (which appears as "Move Train>") MOVETRAIN_0

With a set of junctions between the two trackmarks and it is repeating endlessly (15 consecutive loops without a derailment so far).

I wrote the original version. As I recall, it was scripted with async. It had some issues with complex consists. G.M. uploaded the new version, which is better behaved. However, I believe he removed the async calls, so some builds of Trainz will throw validation errors. From memory, the message you reported means that the system returned a false for the requested system member function call. I suspect some sort of problem with one of the consist members.

I use <kuid:99999:80009> InstantMoveTrain2 and it works fine. You have to make sure there is enough room for the train between the track mark, that you moving to, and the end of the track for the train to fit.

Last edited:
I use <kuid:99999:80009> InstantMoveTrain2 and it works fine. You have to make sure there is enough room for the train between the track mark, that you moving to, and the end of the track for the train to fit.

I've been using <kuid:121843:100602> InstantMoveTrain for a while now and it's always worked well for me both in TANE and TRS22. As Lewis says the important thing is to make sure you have allowed enough room for the transfer to take place.
I didn't know that an InstantMoveTrain2 update had been released.

Problem solved (mostly)

I was using the older version of MOVETRAIN, so updated to the new version, with the same failure. Tried different consists, including pre-assembled and just randomly throwing a few cars together. Still got the same failure.

Just as a wild hunch, I tried a different track. I use JR MS Lt Grey (Terrain) for my route, but thought I'd just try a generic Auran track. Bingo, solved the problem. I'm still having a few glitches, but at least the train is getting from point a to point b with the MOVETRAIN function.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. I tried out every one of them. Who would have thought the track was the problem?

Back