Most difficult game ever

I'd hate to think a dumpster of Apple Lisa's was sent off to the scrap yard because Apple didn't want bad publicity.

Sun workstations are great hardware but they were not meant for general office use back in those days. While at Infinet in the late 1980s through the early 1990s, I backed up a Sun cluster and got a chance to sample those machines first hand. The company had a dozen or more of them in the engineering labs and at desktops and the computer room had a couple of Sun servers with one being solely for their Interleaf publishing documentation system. Today, Solaris 10.4 is far different and there is GNU with more "PC"-like programs available including Libre Office that allows for general office work.

Sadly, Oracle has discontinued the desktop and workstation hardware and now focuses on the servers only. This means their Sun Ray diskless workstations and Sun Ultra line are now no longer. While at Oracle, there were already piles of them being sent off to the scrapper. These were those units that the former Sun employees used at home and had to be returned after Oracle swallowed up Sun in the early 2010s. I was hired by Oracle in 2010 to support the influx of the Sun hardware group sales and engineers. I set up the additional 350 users and had them up and running in record time. For doing that, I received a VIP award.

This just an exercise in frustration.

John
John, it seems like you have purchased the worst game possible for your current situation. If you're looking to play this game for a while and then finish it altogether, then I would suggest that this is not the game for you. Instead, I would recommend buying a game like Transport Fever 2, which is a lot easier to follow and really good. Moreover, if you have a passion for a certain type of train in a specific country, then buying the game from Steam will allow you to go into the workshops and get items from the country of your choice directly in your game. I have done it myself, and I find it very relaxing. I am from the UK, and I have added many workshop models of the UK to the game, and it works incredibly well. The learning curve for this game is not very steep at all.

... would recommend buying a game like Transport Fever 2, which is a lot easier to follow and really good. ...The learning curve for this game is not very steep at all.
Be aware that Transport Fever is not a train sim. While it has trains in it, it also expects you to use trucks, boats, planes to fulfill the transport requirements. And transport is the key word. You provide the transportation infrastructure that facilitates all of the activity in the game. You have only limited indirect control of the people, the production and consumption of goods, and city growth. And also be mindful that distances are very limited so long journeys and distant destinations are not on the table. Plus you don't actually drive the trains or any other vehicles, you just watch them as they go about their business. If that's what you're looking for, then it can be a lot of fun.

Be aware that Transport Fever is not a train sim.
Yes, you are right Martin, it is more of a management game, I only used it as an for instance, but I would've John play that rather than him get frustrated with the learning curve with TS2019 and do something to his computer out of frustration that he would later regret. He could always come back to the game later if he can give it the time required to learn how the game works.

Back