Most difficult game ever

jcstrainz

This just an exercise in frustration.

Had train2019, was trying to run it on an older computer and never could get it to work.

Fast forward to last week, new computer, tried to recover my old password and username, no luck, could not even purchase a new version because had problems logging in. Gave up, got a new email, bought the 2022 version. Had high hopes and watched many youtube videos of some great content and interesting routes.

After 3 days of this, I have gone through the tutorials and watched a ton of how to youtube videos, even bought a 3rd party route. So far the only train I have been able to run is the tutorials. Tried a couple of the installed routes, can open, but never able to drive the train.

Now it wants me to add my serial number so I can enable the DLS, where is the serial number??????

The only reason I wanted to try to make this work is I had a recent foot surgery and I'm stuck in a wheelchair for the next month, have lots of time on my hands, but this "game" wants me to beat my computer into pieces.

With having this much trouble I cannot ever imagine being able to create the simplest route, much less this logging RR I have in mind including a log loader and car float.

Would return it if I could

John

Now it wants me to add my serial number so I can enable the DLS, where is the serial number??????

Serial numbers have not been used with Trainz since long ago.

Have you entered your username and password into TRS22? The same username and password you used to access and post in this forum. Since you mentioned a problem recovering your old password and username this may be the issue.

From the TRS22 Launcher screen, select Trainz Settings, then the MyTrainz tab. Under the heading "MyTrainz account" will be a blue text link that may (or may not) show your username "jcstrainz". Click this link.

If you are correctly registered in Trainz (i.e. username and password match) then a confirmation window will appear - click Cancel. If this is the case then something else is amiss. I would send a message to the HelpDesk (link at the top of every forum page).

If you are not correctly registered then you must enter your correct username and password. It has been a while since this has happened to me but you should, after a short delay, receive a confirmation message window. You normally have to exit Trainz completely and restart before the change takes effect.

The above would be my starting point for finding a solution for your problem.

You say you've gone thru the tutorials... do you mean in game? You were able to run the locos in the tutorials? It's been years since I ran the tutorials but my TrainzPlus 22 has 10 of them so I assume those are the tutorials you ran. When you try a route what is different? You need to be more specific.

Try this: From main menu click "Driver/Surveyor". To see your installed content click "Source" (top of screen) and select "Installed" then open KickStarter County by clicking "View Sessions" and select "01 Highland Limited" and "Drive Session." If you could do the tutorials you should be able to run this session.

If things don't work be specific on what's going wrong vs the tutorials.

Last edited:
a little improvement

able to do the tutorials,

passwords the same,

actually completed the mofit tunnel route aft 6 trys.

still pretty lost, every youtube video is a review or a route someone created, no real basic help.

THE VERIFCATION BS IS A MAJOR PAIN IN THE BACKSIDE

IF I WASNT STUCK IN A CHAIR FOR THE NEXT 30 DAYS I WOULD BE GONE.

Then I watch another video of operations or some great scenery and I get sucked back in which just leads to more frustration.

would like to figure out waybills and switchlist to run a small yard at least.
would like to feel comfortable in loading routes / sessions , just how to run the Dam game.

would like to play with it and at the end of the day not feel like I need to take a hammer to the computer.

where can i find stupid basic help on how to

download content
run different trains in a session

Hi John --

I understand with your frustrations. Maybe try one of my layouts and sessions. My later sessions have a big pop-up screen that can be called up by the F1-key to tell you what The Dispatcher wants you to do. Then it's up to you to decide how to do it.

For one of the later layouts and sessions search with:

The "Hoofhearted & Smelz RRCo - NG24".

You might find the TRS22 Autumn Flowers (with the flower clutter effect) layout a bit demanding on your PC. If so try the other TRS19 Hoofhearted layout

Phil

If you are looking for prototypical ops (you mention switch lists and waybills) Trainz might not be for you. The focus on trainz is building routes and user created content, NOT prototypical ops. Focus is also not on sessions that actually work properly all the way through. In fact, a number of both payware (in game Store) and freeware (Content Manager) sessions won't work for a variety of reasons.

if Trainz is a temporary thing for you to do to pass time for a while I would recommend you should stick with philskene routes (his post is directly above) and freeware from the Content Manager and other smaller "model railroad" routes. Some of the freeware is better than the payware but then, you have to invest the time to find the quality freeware creators because a lot of it is from creators who are starting out. You will likely have "missing assets" but if not key components (track, rolling stock, etc) just ignore missing assets and run as is (again, if this is a short time thing).

And I have to ask... what "Verification" are you referring to as such a pain? I note that you mentioned it in another post. I don't know what you refer to.

Last edited:
I tend to agree that the game is getting more and more difficult. It is not as "user friendly" and intuitive as it used to be. My 72-year old brain is being taxed. I installed the latest build (122411) and started a new route from scratch so I could learn how to use Surveyor V2.0. I encountered several problems already and was able to solve some. My most frustrating one was that the train did not stop at the station or (as I later installed) a trackmark at that station. Can anyone help me with this??

From my perspective what is getting harder is the creation of objects. I used to quickly make anything I needed "on the fly" so to speak. I'd pause my route creation, make something I needed and then continue. Since most of these objects were guides and other things not meant to be seen in Driver, texturing was pretty rudimentary, often with rather garish colors to make them easy to find. Naturally things meant to be in Driver got more TLC. I remember when adding bump mapping to give a pseudo3D effect was a big step up. Of course none of these objects were anything like the high quality stuff produced by some of the great creators out there but they served my needs. I tried my hand at making some wagons and even a few simple engines but quickly discovered that the work involved to make them look good, never mind better, was getting to be a lot of effort. And that was before PBR and other fancy new techniques. So I've stuck with making structures and guides. Luckily I have a whole bunch in the workshop that can be reused with a few modifications so I don't have to re-invent the wheel every time.

I tend to agree that the game is getting more and more difficult. It is not as "user friendly" and intuitive as it used to be. My 72-year old brain is being taxed. I installed the latest build (122411) and started a new route from scratch so I could learn how to use Surveyor V2.0. I encountered several problems already and was able to solve some. My most frustrating one was that the train did not stop at the station or (as I later installed) a trackmark at that station. Can anyone help me with this??
Are these passenger enabled stations? If so give the driver the commands: navigate to "station" and then "load". That's what I do and the obey. If the station doesn't appear in the progress line at the bottom of the screen then it is just a dumb scenery object and you have to fake the interaction with the train since the train driver can't see the station. I don't use those types of stations so my advice is limited for those.

Had train2019, was trying to run it on an older computer and never could get it to work.

Fast forward to last week, new computer, tried to recover my old password and username, no luck, could not even purchase a new version because had problems logging in. Gave up, got a new email, bought the 2022 version. Had high hopes and watched many youtube videos of some great content and interesting routes.

After 3 days of this, I have gone through the tutorials and watched a ton of how to youtube videos, even bought a 3rd party route. So far the only train I have been able to run is the tutorials. Tried a couple of the installed routes, can open, but never able to drive the train.

The only reason I wanted to try to make this work is I had a recent foot surgery and I'm stuck in a wheelchair for the next month, have lots of time on my hands, but this "game" wants me to beat my computer into pieces.

With having this much trouble I cannot ever imagine being able to create the simplest route, much less this logging RR I have in mind including a log loader and car float.

John
I'm sorry to hear about your frustrating experience with Train Simulator 2022. It can indeed be challenging to find the serial number and navigate the game's features, especially if you're new to it or are transitioning from an older version.

I'm going on 74 and its not really harder it's just different and when we get older in age, we sometimes don't want change, but change goes on and we just have to adapt, just my opinion.
Totally agree with you that things are not necessarily harder, but just different. However, this also applies to my computer: in order to work with Surveyor 2.0 the processor might not be fast enough anymore, and the graphics card (NVIDIA GForce GTX 1660 Ti) is not powerful enough anymore. So I have made the decision to stick with Surveyor classic and not HD terrain. All things run smoothly then!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your frustrating experience with Train Simulator 2022. It can indeed be challenging to find the serial number and navigate the game's features, especially if you're new to it or are transitioning from an older version.
What serial number? The last time I saw a serial number was for Trainz Simulator 12

That, to me, reads like the output of a ChatBot. From the message stats, the user joined the forums for the very first time at the exact same moment the post was made, her/his first ever post, and was last seen (i.e. departed the forums) just 2 minutes later. Or am I being too suspicious?

Last edited:
Yes.. the day has actually arrived when we need verification that forum members are real. At least with spam, you could tell it was spam. Not we can read a post and not tell if it's real or AI. (Anyone remember the Memorex commercials - "Is it real, or is it Memorex.")

And I apologize if post is real.. I don't mean to hyjack the thread with OT comments....

John
I am a retired software engineer, aged 73, and I agree and relate to your frustration completely John. There are basically no standards in third-party content, other than what someone adopts as their own standards, which may or may not coincide with anyone else's standards. N3V is creating a beautiful environment for the model train enthusiast, which I am a lifelong member. But Trainz comes with a huge learning curve, depending on the level of immersion one seeks. Fortunately, I have found my niche within Trainz, which is late 19th Century Colorado Railroading, but it has taken me a few years to become comfortable.

I have read the thread here responding to your original post. There are some very good fellow members of the Trainz Community, as there are some very Talented Content Creators, PhilSkene among them. I wish I could offer you some definitive advice to solve all your frustrations, but the nature of Trainz, in my experience, is such that it is highly personal according to each person's interest level, and I know that the segment of railroad history that captures my interest is very unique and limited, so I'm afraid my perspective on Trainz would not be very helpful.

All I really have to offer is to hang in there. Once you get past the frustration, there is a point where Trainz will open up and give you many hours and years of enjoyment. But as you already know, getting there can be a battle. Which is more than unfortunate. N3V is creating a beautiful experience, but in many respects, I believe they have taken things too far. It is, after all, just a game. How realistic does it need to be, really.

Good luck, John. Trainz is definitely worth the effort in mastering. I just wish it didn't have to be so complex. KISS: Keep It Simple, Stupid. :)

Wise words there RidderDansk

It is, after all, just a game. How realistic does it need to be, really.
Unfortunately, there are many in these forums who regularly call for more realism, better graphics (8K anyone?), better sound, etc. Realism is a major selling point of any simulator and Trainz has been no exception.

Wise words there RidderDansk

Unfortunately, there are many in these forums who regularly call for more realism, better graphics (8K anyone?), better sound, etc. Realism is a major selling point of any simulator and Trainz has been no exception.
Well, yeah, I can appreciate that true gamers want realism. And on my new computer with RTX graphics capability, the newer routes specifically created with the latest graphics and content in mind, Trainz does look exceptional. But how many people can afford (or even want?) the latest hardware? In my day, I have been in hobbies that priced a lot of hobbyists out of the hobby. Does N3V want to do that as well? If I want realism, there is no better place to find it than outside in the real world!

I started in computers when 128kb of RAM and a 20 mega byte HDD was state of the art. And now if we don't have a 16 Core processor running at 5GHz+ with 16 GB RAM (MINIMUM) and storage of 4 Tera-Byte SSDs we feel deprived? This is simply a never-ending spiral that is obsolete the day after it is delivered.

Sadly, I have a feeling John is no longer with us in the Trainzing world, but I'll put in my thoughts here so that other newcomers searching for information will fall upon this thread and hopefully not feel as lost.

Trainz is one of things that's not really a game in the sense of shooting aliens and running around, or chasing goals, although goal-seeking is possible if you want to. Trainz is more like a gigantic model railroad that you, the end-user, gets out of it, what you put into it. The program can be frustrating and there have been more than a few instances where everything does seem as if it's working against you, the user, but for the most part once issues have been worked out, things go pretty well. Providing details regarding issues, saying it's broke and I quit isn't helpful, but real details usually will get the problems ironed out in short order. (This is where John wasn't helpful.)

The program is as I said more like a gigantic model railroad with the ability to sit in the cab and drive your own or someone else's routes with the ability to build prototypical-sized routes. Thinking back to when I was a youngster and to my father putting together my N-scale Aurora Postage Stamp model railroad for me, and what we have here, it's like night and day. Having the ability to build something that goes well beyond the 2 x 4 piece of plywood on a frame that fit under my bed to a world with virtually unlimited bounds is still today for me amazing. This really is something that only dreams are made of, and many times as a kid oh so many years ago, I dreamt of something like this.

As a product, Trainz is divided into modules or sections.

Surveyor is like building the benchwork. We can sculpt the landscape, place objects, and lay the track. If we run out of room, we can add more. For some, this is where they remain and rarely drive around on their routes. Building a route in Surveyor, is akin to going down into the basement or out into the shed and working on a huge model railroad except at 1 to 1 scale. Many of us have spent hours working on existing routes or creating new ones. Like the model railroad, we fiddle, fix, update, and create as the hours while away into the past. Unlike a model railroad, there's no mess meaning no plaster and sawdust or glue and paint to clean up. There's also the ability to undo things without doing any damage. We can cut in a siding and decide it doesn't work and remove it. Using the power of the computer and the undo-keys CTRL+Z, it's as if the track was never cut and the siding was never there. With the model railroad, we've got the expense of new track, turnouts, and the risk of breaking these expensive parts. Switches today are not inexpensive and losing one because we messed up is heartbreaking at least.

Driver is where we go about running the layouts (routes) and divided into two parts - session-creation and driving.

Session building is a combination of puzzle-solving and wiring to make the trains run as they should, and building sessions takes patience not only for the program but for oneself. This process can take a very, very long time and even then, there are quirky things that occur especially on large complex routes. Once a session is put together, the bugs need to be worked out. Many times, the AI drivers do what we tell them to do through the commands we give them and not what we thought they were supposed to do, meaning we put our own self-inflicted bugs in there. What do you mean they don't work on telepathy? I can't count how many times I blamed the computer drivers, infamous AI drivers, for my own errors!

Here you can set up goal seeking if you want, such as delivering so much coal to a power plant, or some other thing such as 100% on-time performance when driving a passenger train. With Trainz, you don't have to do that if you don't want to. On some routes, including those created by others you drive, you can do nearly anything you want including taking over and driving a train yourself or even sitting back and watching the world operate in front of you. On some days, this is what I'll do with some of my routes. I let the drivers do their thing and watch them from various locations as if I am out rail fanning along the right of way. Sometimes, I'll catch a screen image but not always. It's great seeing trains meet with signals changing aspects and drawbridges close as trains approach.

Then there's script writing and content creation. Script writing is like the wiring that makes all the parts work and this can be an all-consuming hobby all its own. This is an area that many of us are not familiar with, or are familiar with it to be dangerous and break things. There are programming skills required here to write the code to make things work.

And finally, content-creation.

With Trainz, we have a nearly unlimited number of assets available built-in, provided by the community on the Download Station, and from third-party websites. Most content is free and there is quite a lot of payware with some payware being relatively inexpensive.

Content-creation is putting together the objects we place on our routes or the trains we drive. Like script-writing, this too is an all-consuming hobby alone for some people. In fact, some never do anything else except make the objects we put on our routes because they like doing that. We have full libraries of beautiful objects that we should be grateful for because without them, we wouldn't have what we have today.

The thing is, with Trainz's complexity, the best way to go about anything is to take it in small steps. Building that dream route is no different than building that aft-forementioned model railroad. Working in small parts, experimenting, and improving skills are part of the game. Working slowly and carefully, and not being afraid to do things over is the only way. Remember, nothing can be broken here. Throwing yourself into a big route full feet and body too, only causes discouragement, frustration, burn-out, and usually a canceled project.

Back