Model Railroadz

Hi all,

Where can I acquire the assets required to make "layouts" such as these? I think that this is a step in the right direction for trainz!
Here is a list from the thread:

Marsz EL Support 06, 07

Wall 5m wood Black
Wall 5m Dark Stone
Wall 10m Dark Stone

Airport Ramp Surface 30x100
Asfalt SWE 100

Railroad backdrop spline and backdrop River 4-12

HUGE brick wall, kuid:645812:97925
HUGE wall brick grey, kuid:645812:97930
HUGE wall plaster, kuid:645812:97931

Dighole 120m north - south, kuid:645812:98001
Dighole 120m east - west, kuid:645812:98002

Assets mentioned in other screenshots thread:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?242-USA-Pics&p=1249229#post1249229

Background- Railroad Background Spline.
d fon 7 and 11
Ground texture splines- JJS Dirt Road 8
CL Wall Dock 02

There are other digholes on DLS that work well and a whole bunch of backdrops and backgrounds.

I like the Background Forest Spline 01.

ho_modeltrainz_2.jpg

Post #65 on page 5 of this thread has other assets.

Harold

Last edited:
With all these virtual model railroads being made, I see potential for a virtual version of notable railroads like the Virginian & Ohio, Allegheny Midland and many, many more.

I really have to say again that this is really great stuff. There is a lot of potential here as a test method for actual route building. If someone reskinned, for example, additional windows, more doors, built a furnace, workbench and other basement objects, they could plan their model railroad in an actual environment with the usual obstacles that get in the way.

The other thing too, and this stems back to the many threads I've made regarding route building. The areas with the most detail should be closest to the tracks. This method actually solves that issue because the details are in fact closest to the tracks as this is the only place to put assets. The remainder of the baseboards are literally empty which brings up another point. I'm sure even with the tight quarters and lots of details, there are reasonable frame rates on these routes.

And, Oknotsen we do vote you for VP. I actually did not know about your model route nor did I see your screenshots. I rarely venture to this part of the forums, but yesterday I did just because and stumbled on this thread. Great stuff you did... great stuff from everyone. I think I've said that like three times now! :D

John

4ecfe0619d82387cb86c45e1abcb6435.jpg

For those interested you could really take this places especially if you were into that N-Track thing or what ever it's called. You have a board already made to a particular size and all these are the same size and the tracks could be made to come in from one end and out the other at a set height and width from the edge BUT what you do between these two points is up to you, You could have a mine or a station maybe or a yard even. Could be quite a fun challenge.
Cheers Mick.:)

Keep in mind that the maximum reach on a model railroad should be no more than 2.5 feet. In HO that would be 218 feet. About 430 feet in N scale.

Modulez

Make them a common configuration:

modulez_2.jpg

modulez_1.jpg

Each "Module" could be a point of interest. They could be merged into linear arrangement. Having a portal at each end would allow independent operation.

There could even be a peninsula out into the "room".

Oknotsen and kimo505 should be Emperors of the Earth for this Model Railroadz idea!

Harold

Last edited:
I have been inspired to work on an L shape layout loosely based on a Queensland Government Railways branchline with a town trackplan based on the old terminus at Crows Nest.
I actually intend to construct this layout as my real HOn3.5 scale QR project.

Harold's idea also got me thinking (scary thought, I know!) wasn't there a system on the DLS that were essentially blank baseboard modules? Would any of you guys be interested in uploading the actual layout setups? What i mean by this is the floors, walls, etc already set up. All you would need to do is the scenery and lay track? If not no biggie, just figured I would ask.

Mike

Harold's idea also got me thinking (scary thought, I know!) wasn't there a system on the DLS that were essentially blank baseboard modules? Would any of you guys be interested in uploading the actual layout setups? What i mean by this is the floors, walls, etc already set up. All you would need to do is the scenery and lay track? If not no biggie, just figured I would ask.

Mike

I consolidated all the assets used in this thread and the how-to video at:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?109444-Making-Model-Railroadz&p=1256192#post1256192

Harold

Last edited:
Great idea there Mike, (22alpha, sense there's two Mike's in the thread :hehe:)
Anyway, I've added a good amount more vegetation and ground textures, (amazing how much better it looks now), and some buildings along the track. It's shaping together pretty good...
de5d274d8733d069e00fb47a82e35470.jpg
7254a3f1236db133652b6296b09c2997.jpg
35a0f084a2cbd85ce4478083826fe6d7.jpg

That weed sprayer would come in really handy right now from the looks of it. :hehe:

Last edited:
Back