Missing or unknown dependencies

handlaidtrack

It’s been just over a week now since I installed Trainz2010, and most areas of my learning are progressing quite nicely (those who have followed my earlier posts may recall the problems I had at first).

The biggest frustration I am currently having, is with the state of the download station. A few days ago, just before my FCT ran out, I hit it hard for several hours, downloading anything I could find in the way of trains and locomotives that might fit the theme of what I’m looking to build. After over half a GB of downloads, I had four usable locomotives and about a dozen wagons. The vast majority have broken, missing, or unknown dependencies.

Although I’ve heard others bemoan the state of the DLS, I’m not totally convinced that the DLS is entirely to blame. I also attempted to install several packages of freeware I found on two other websites. In every single case, the locomotives and coaches concerned have several unknown dependencies. Unfortunately, one website does not have any contact information, and the other I’ve not been able to find again since.

Thus it occurs to me that maybe there’s another problem somewhere. Are these results typical, or do I still have a problem with my Trainz installation?
If this really is the normal state of the DLS, then something needs to be done about it, and I have a solution that I’d like to discuss directly with Auran.
If it’s my system that is at fault, then I need some help.

It’s been just over a week now since I installed Trainz2010, and most areas of my learning are progressing quite nicely (those who have followed my earlier posts may recall the problems I had at first).

The biggest frustration I am currently having, is with the state of the download station. A few days ago, just before my FCT ran out, I hit it hard for several hours, downloading anything I could find in the way of trains and locomotives that might fit the theme of what I’m looking to build. After over half a GB of downloads, I had four usable locomotives and about a dozen wagons. The vast majority have broken, missing, or unknown dependencies.

Although I’ve heard others bemoan the state of the DLS, I’m not totally convinced that the DLS is entirely to blame. I also attempted to install several packages of freeware I found on two other websites. In every single case, the locomotives and coaches concerned have several unknown dependencies. Unfortunately, one website does not have any contact information, and the other I’ve not been able to find again since.

Thus it occurs to me that maybe there’s another problem somewhere. Are these results typical, or do I still have a problem with my Trainz installation?
If this really is the normal state of the DLS, then something needs to be done about it, and I have a solution that I’d like to discuss directly with Auran.
If it’s my system that is at fault, then I need some help.

If you use Content Manager and or Download Cart it should pull in the dependencies as well, if you are just downloading from the DLS you need to check you have the dependencies for each item by going to the download page first.
Or use Content manager to show the dependencies of the asset in the main list and download any missing one assuming they are on the DLS from there.

Broken stuff often just require a quick fix, often its something in the config file like an REM ~ # // that shouldn't be there or a texture that is the wrong size as in not a power of 2 or missing, anything in yellow will probably work without fixing as its just a warning. Often its a redundant no longer required entry in the config or the asset is using a PM mesh instead of an IM one.
2090 and 10 have tightened up on these errors but many were always there, if an asset works in compatibility mode then its more than likely fixable.
Some creators are currently updating stuff but it obviously take a fair bit of time. there are tools from Pev - has a thread on here, that can fix many of the non config errors.
I suspect that although these errors were "Ignored" in previous versions of Trainz they may well have had a performance impact which is maybe why Auran decided to flag them up?

Content Repair Guide is here http://www.trainzclassics.co.uk/ under guides, yes it was for TC3 but holds good for 2006 through to 2010.
Plus there is fair bit of Trainz info links etc, at the Trainz Resources Directory: http://trainzresources.com/directory/

Downloads from third party site can be a problem, sometimes missing dependencies are included with another item from the same place, easiest and probably quickest way to track them down, is to search on the kuid number with Google. It gets easier, the more stuff you collect the less is missing dependencies.

As for sorting out the DLS, this keeps coming up but it would seem to be an impossible task, quite a few threads on here about that.
There was something said in the forum recently though about Auran providing space for creators to display stuff though so it could be that there are changes afoot?

Last edited:
I am already using CM for all my downloading as it seems much better than the DLS direct. I’ve already read the CM tutorial you referenced, and that other website turns out to be the other one I downloaded from and then couldn’t find again. I’m going to look for some missing kuids on google – I hadn’t thought of that! Thanks,

Upon re-reading the headings for the various forums, I think I’ve posted this in the wrong section, so I’m going to re-post any further questions in the general forum.

Back