Miles Per Gallon.

Hello!!! out here ; . dose any one know the average miles per gallon ; of an average road unit and/or switcher either from the present or past.

Miles per Gallon (mpg) & Kilometres per 100 Litres (km/100L)

Does anyone know the average miles per gallon of describled vehicles?

Answer: How long is a piece of "average" string?

====================

But their should/maybe information around for the rail vehicles you want. Try say a book on locomotives, etc. I know their is a rail encyclopedia available from libraries which seems to have some techinical details of locomotives. Although Wikipedia can be useful, if you MUST use a website, I would go elsewhere where the entries can't be just edited by anyone.

Oh and since the heading is "Miles per gallon" (mpg) described generally, for those that don't know their are several times of gallon, for example US & UK gallons, but "MPG" is based on distance where the equivalent in "metricised" countries is kilometres/kilometers per 100 Litres (km/100L). Km/100L is based more on volume. For example the more number of mpg used the more efficient the car/loco is, but on the other had the less km/100L is used the more effecient the car/loco is.

Last edited:
Yes it depends on the locomotive..

:cool: ....number of cylinders, even the different weights of the same locomotive purchased at different time periods.

It's somewhere around 2 gallons per mile, +/- 10%.

It also depends on whether or not the driver is going for fuel economy.

Most all the roads are "re-training" for fuel efficiency by using mobile simulators...

nslocomotivesimulatorengv2.jpg

Last edited:
Here is some information from several sources

* Railroad can ship 1 ton 423 miles on 1 gallon of fuel

* Seven major railroad companies reported the following for 2007:
1,770,545,245,000 ton-miles of freight were moved
4,062,025,082 gallons of diesel fuel were consumed
That works out to be almost 436 ton-miles per gallon (435.88)
Trains today 85% more efficient than in 1980
The Association of American Railroads is boasting an 85.5 percent improvement in fuel efficiency for their trains since 1980.

* Railroads offer significant public benefits in moving our nation's freight. A single freight train can take 280 trucks off our nation's crowded highways. In addition, a train can move one ton of freight an average of 436 miles on a single gallon of fuel: That's a home run in terms of fuel efficiency.

* A train can move one ton of freight 206 miles on one gallon of fuel. A truck can move one ton of fright only 59 miles on one gallon of fuel.

* Railroad can ship 1 ton 423 miles on 1 gallon of fuel

* Seven major railroad companies reported the following for 2007:
1,770,545,245,000 ton-miles of freight were moved
4,062,025,082 gallons of diesel fuel were consumed
That works out to be almost 436 ton-miles per gallon (435.88)
Trains today 85% more efficient than in 1980
The Association of American Railroads is boasting an 85.5 percent improvement in fuel efficiency for their trains since 1980.

* Railroads offer significant public benefits in moving our nation's freight. A single freight train can take 280 trucks off our nation's crowded highways. In addition, a train can move one ton of freight an average of 436 miles on a single gallon of fuel: That's a home run in terms of fuel efficiency.

* A train can move one ton of freight 206 miles on one gallon of fuel. A truck can move one ton of fright only 59 miles on one gallon of fuel.
Hey!!! Thank's alot for the reply's ; it was just something that crosses my mind from time to time. i'am a fan of road unit's worldwide both past and present. this is kind of a question i probably should have looked into a loco. book/mag. to find ; but sense i was surfing the trainz forum i'd thought i migh ask ; cheer's !!!! :) :) :)

Back