Microsoft Train Simulator (X) II Release Q4 2008

That's one thing that M$ is good at, they tell you alot of things, make alot of promises, but they have a hard time delivering. Just look at Vista, enough said.

This is not always true. In many cases, no matter the size of the company, a lot of products get changed as the development process goes along. They may tout a lot of nice features now, but as the crunch time approaches, or the specifications change, features end up being left out. The marketing types, along with the brainstormers in product design come up with a wizz-bang of a product, but it's up the development team to try to meet the deadlines and expectations. Given that the marketing-types have already sold the product to the public, there's now the added crunch to meet deadlines and minize delays so as a result things get left out or are broken going out the door.

As a user of the 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Vista, the OS is a lot better than many people think. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's bad. There are a lot of things that make it better, and still a lot of features that were to touted to be included were not. Yes, I admit there are a few annoyances such as new drivers and rewrites of old software, but that happens with any new release, and then there are the new ways of doing the same thing, which of course makes for frustration.

Do you remember the hub-bub about Windows XP? The same noise was made about that as well. Now that XP has been around for what seems like an age, everyone loves it like their best friend.

So not to take this too far off topic, keep this in mind when considering a new software product. What we should wait for is what will actually be on the shelf because that will be the product that we can review and pass actual judgement on because all of the speculation about what we see in the marketing shots mean nothing.

John

Percentage of Vista users amongst the visitors to my own web site (not RBR):
Jun-07: 4.6%
Jul-07: 5.9%
Aug-07: 7.1%
Sep-07: 6.3%
Oct-07: 6.6%
Nov-07 (so far): 7.5%
The site gets between 10,000 and 20,000 unique visitors a month and the vast majority of its content is not computer or Trainz related.

John

Not to take this post anymore off topic than it is already, Vista is catching on slowly, but not as fast as the other versions of Windows did. This has to do with a number of things from the added hardware requirements to training for the new interface especially amongst business. The other mitigating factor here is many companies and users are waiting for SP1 to come out before they adopt. These people are not the courageous souls, like me, that like to break things in for the rest of the folks in the Windows world. To be honest only time will tell whether Vista, Office 2007, and even their new rail simulator will be well accepted. I currently use Vista Business and Office 2007 at work. There have been a few issues with compatibility, but since we came from Windows 95 and Windows NT, anything can be expected at this point.

When I posted my response above, this is coming from someone who has been in the computer and electronics industry for nearly 30 years. I've worked from everything from video terminals (hardware tech) to the latest and greatest operating systems, and have seen trends like this before.

Anyway let's try to get this back on topic rather than hijack the thread anymore than it is.

John

MSTS 2 will probably be made for XP SP3 since Vista is still a failing system. In 3 years I see it coming in but right now that's not gonna happen since it still has to many problems in it.

Also TS2 screen shots are impressive so far and it seems like their not just pictures on wheels either.

Not to take this post anymore off topic than it is already, Vista is catching on slowly, but not as fast as the other versions of Windows did. This has to do with a number of things from the added hardware requirements to training for the new interface especially amongst business. The other mitigating factor here is many companies and users are waiting for SP1 to come out before they adopt. These people are not the courageous souls, like me, that like to break things in for the rest of the folks in the Windows world. To be honest only time will tell whether Vista, Office 2007, and even their new rail simulator will be well accepted. I currently use Vista Business and Office 2007 at work. There have been a few issues with compatibility, but since we came from Windows 95 and Windows NT, anything can be expected at this point.

When I posted my response above, this is coming from someone who has been in the computer and electronics industry for nearly 30 years. I've worked from everything from video terminals (hardware tech) to the latest and greatest operating systems, and have seen trends like this before.

Anyway let's try to get this back on topic rather than hijack the thread anymore than it is.

John

Better late and tested than early and buggy IMHO...but time will tell, maybe it'll be late and buggy! :)

John

It's being delayed due to their making it now for Windows XP also. Meaning their going to have to rework everything they did and make the game compatible with DX 10 and DX9

By the way, if this fails then so does the newest Grand theft Auto which had been delayed in October last year to this year.

Seriously Just because it gets delayed doesn't mean it's gonna be crappy.

It's being delayed due to their making it now for Windows XP also. Meaning their going to have to rework everything they did and make the game compatible with DX 10 and DX9

By the way, if this fails then so does the newest Grand theft Auto which had been delayed in October last year to this year.

Seriously Just because it gets delayed doesn't mean it's gonna be crappy.

Where did you see it was going to be for XP also?

Because Vista is Microsofts latest OS, and they want to push new titles out for it.
Vista has fewer bugs than XP, and is a hell of alot more reliable, so its sensible to push it for Vista rather than XP.

Sam

:hehe:i dont know. SP2 fixed most of the horrible XP bugs. unfourtunatly they have yet to fix the bug in Vista that might forget that you have drivers for your major hardware. Vista is extreemly buggy.

Hello

Animated Characters in Microsoft Train Simulator 2

http://tsinsider.com/Articles/AboutTS2/Characters.aspx

Regards

Ahsan:cool:
Thanks for the link Ahsan, very interesting.

While all that character animation is very clever stuff it's hardly a mission critical aspect of the simulator. Personally, I would have preferred Microsoft to have concentrated on implementing interactive industries rather than semi-realistic people.

John

Back