Microdem Questions

TrainMan12

Hi guys! I was just wondering how useful Microdem is. I know it's freeware, so I'm not expecting as much as payware programs, but I'm hoping it's still useful.

Can it import textures onto a TRS Baseboard?

Thanks!

Microdem is an imaging program that converts Digital Elevation Models from the U.S. Geological Survey (a sort of record of every point in the U.S. by latitude, longitude and altitude, at close intervals) into a visual display. HOG (Hand of God) is a program that takes the files made by Microdem and generates a ground file for Trainz that creates a 3-D model of the terrain pictured. For an in depth look at Microdem and HOG, check out the tutorial here.
Also see my thread in this forum on troubles with HOG for useful hints on coaxing it to work.

:cool: Claude

Microdem is an imaging program that converts Digital Elevation Models from the U.S. Geological Survey (a sort of record of every point in the U.S. by latitude, longitude and altitude, at close intervals) into a visual display. HOG (Hand of God) is a program that takes the files made by Microdem and generates a ground file for Trainz that creates a 3-D model of the terrain pictured. For an in depth look at Microdem and HOG, check out the tutorial here.
Also see my thread in this forum on troubles with HOG for useful hints on coaxing it to work.

BUT, will it convert ground textures (not elevation) onto TRS baseboards?

I think HOG can copy texture maps, converting the colors to Trainz equivalent textures. It can even automatically rotate textures to minimize the tiling effect. I haven't tried the feature, so I'm not sure about how it works.

Back