Maybe helpful info?

jigawatts

Flux Capacitor
I thought I would post this in case someone else out there is as dumb as I am. I bought a new, super fast computer with 4GB of ram and a ATI HD4870 with 512MB of ram. I bought Trainz 2009, and was surprised that my FPS maxed out at 60 no matter what I did, and it seemed very jerky no matter how much I adjusted the various settings. I was very disappointed by this because other games run super-smooth on my PC. Well, tonight for some reason I thought to change the vertical sync from Full to Auto. Boy did that make a HUGE difference. Now the FPS don't go below 150 and even get up into the 400's even in Surveyor. And it's super smooth, and that's with all graphic settings turned up to the max in the card settings and in the game settings. So, if you're having jerky performance and low frame-rates, turn that vertical sync to Auto.

Mark

FPS maxed out at 60 . So, if you're having jerky performance and low frame-rates, turn that vertical sync to Auto.

Mark

In what realm is 60FPS considered low frame rates? Are you mixing Red Bull and Ritalin, and chasing it with a double grande expresso mocha while administering electric shocks through your colon?:eek:

I'm sure the tip will help some, maybe even some who are maxing out at 20 FPS, and who would love to see 25-30 FPS, but somewhere between there and 60 I have to wonder what difference is visible.:D

150 fps? 400 fps? I didn't think computer screens produced that many fps. I guess they aren't bound by the television's 60 fps, though that's a lot as it is.

60 FPS would've been fine if it was smooth. But it was still very jerky. Now it's smooth, which is all I wanted. Especially considering how much I invested in this new PC.

Mark

60 FPS would've been fine if it was smooth. But it was still very jerky. Now it's smooth, which is all I wanted. Especially considering how much I invested in this new PC.

Mark

Yeah, I'd "settle" for 60FPS too! Would you describe the "jerky" part as "rubberbanding"? you can add a line to the TrainzOptions file to limit the FPS if this is the case...

Standard analog interlaced TV is 30 frames/sec and a field rate of 60 fields/sec. Digital progressive scan is at 60 frames/sec.
Movies are run at 24 frames/sec projected thru a rotating split shutter to provide an effective 48 frames/sec.
Depending on the brightness of the scene you need about 30 frames/sec to prevent objectionable flicker.

Bob

Are you mixing Red Bull and Ritalin, and chasing it with a double grande expresso mocha while administering electric shocks through your colon?:eek:

Ed,

You're saying that as if there's something wrong with it. It happens to be my dietary and seating preference when flying Garuda Airlines.

~ Deane

Euphod,

No, it wasn't rubberbanding. It held steady at 60 the whole time. I don't know how else to describe it except that it was not smooth, but jerky, stuttering. And just to clarify, those insane framerates in the 400's are on a single baseboard that I am building and I don't yet have much on it. I loaded up a very densely packed route and with the draw distance all the way out to 5000m, the FPS are in the low 20's. But it's still smoother in the low 20's than what I was getting before at 60. So, bottom line is I'm happy now. Now, back to my Red Bull, Ritalin, double espresso, etc... :hehe:

Mark

Meauring FPS?

How do you get a measure of FPS?
Do you have to change the trainzoptions.txt file?
I am using an Nvidia GE Force 6800 / 256MegBytes with default initial options.

Back