Maine Central Railroad's #470

Wayfarer

I'm not sure if this has been posted anywhere yet so I'm doing it now.

Apparently I'm the last to know this but MeC's #470, the last steam locomotive to run on MeC's rails has been purchased by New England Steam for restoration. I live only about 15 miles from where she has rested since 1952 and I'm just hearing about this even though the deal has been in the works for several years. Now that I do know, I will try to get involved in some way. Details can be found at the following link. The website incudes audio and video from #470's last run in 1954 and they offer a subscription newsletter in case anyone is interested.

http://www.newenglandsteam.org/home

That's awesome! I had heard it was going to be worked on and I'm glad it's being done.

Maybe we can get someone to create a model for us in Trainz. You can then show it running on a MEC route. :)

Thanks for the link.

John

That's awesome! I had heard it was going to be worked on and I'm glad it's being done.

Maybe we can get someone to create a model for us in Trainz. You can then show it running on a MEC route. :)

Thanks for the link.

John

There is a model of the 470 in trainz. cmoehrle did a wonderful job of creating it.

I'm doing a totally fictional route based in the western Maine mountains at about the time when diesels were taking over. The 470 is the star of my fleet and will be running a special passenger consist. If I ever get it finished, that is, lol.

I'm just now getting to the point of learning signaling and things got so messed up I had to re-lay all my track.
I'm using Maine Central, Bangor and Aroostook, and Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes rolling stock until I learn to re-skin and can create my own livery.

I'll have to check out that model.

Good luck with your route. Signaling can be tricky. You want it to be prototypical, but prototypical doesn't always work with the AI!

These were different and in some ways sad times for the B&M and MEC. The B&M had started in 1948 with some EMD FTs. After that it was dieselization everywhere with most gone by the early 1950s. In the video on the 470 club website, there's a B&M E-pulled passenger train at the station there. During that time they were still partnering with the MEC so it wouldn't be uncommon to see both power on the railroads. This all ended in the mid to late 1950s under McGuiness who did his part to start pulling the B&M apart with the Eastern Railroad and the line up to Cape Neddick being pulled up around that time.

John

I have that model JCitron, and its a great looking one (considered its a reskin of the original model that was made in 06) but its still looks good to use and there are more liveries for this USRA 4-6-2 on DLS, just type in USRA 4-6-2 and you should find a lot of them.

nice to see another locomotive on the road to operational restoration. :)

Back