LV - The Forks of the Delaware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kree8tiviT

Lehigh Valley : The Forks of the Delaware

"Phase one" of the my route is finally getting to point where I thought it might be presentable.....so starting this thread to showcase the updates.

The route is centered around Easton, Pennsylvania and Phillipsburg, New Jersey........at the confluence of the Lehigh and Delaware rivers.
Besides the the two major rivers, there is also the convergence of the Lehigh, the Delaware, and the Morris canals.
Area residents refer to this hub of activity as the "Forks of the Delaware".

The period I am trying to depict in the route is from the late 1940's thru the 1950's and into the early 1960's.
During this time, 7 major railroads operated in the region...plus several other smaller lines.......pretty impressive for a small town!
In fact, in real life, if you stood on the tracks over the Delaware, you would be visually in eyesight of 5 stations! How many places can you do that?

So, with all this activity.....makes it a great place to create a layout..........that, and the added fact that it is the area I was born and raised so there is the personal connection factor too.

On to the photos :_____________________________________

Starting (logically) with the Lehigh Valley..........

The Lehigh Valley's "Black Diamond".......westbound thru Phillipsburg, NJ......behind Mercer Street
1_004.jpg

Approaching the diamond crossing of the Bel-Del cutoff
1_005.jpg

Crossing over the Pennsy's Bel-Del branch mainline
1_055.jpg

Crossing the Delaware River. The other bridge was used by the CNJ
1_057.jpg

Entering Pennsylvania over the Delaware Canal and Rt.611
1_058.jpg

Thru the cut at Mt. Ida. This was the only place to get across the river in the area.....so the Mt. Ida cut was used by every railroad in the area...making it a very busy and congested location.
1_061.jpg

1_061.jpg
Approach to LV Easton Station:
1_24.jpg

1_060.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing........LV

Easton, Pa.
1_064.jpg

1_066.jpg

Station stop....LV Easton
1_26.jpg

1_076.jpg

1_071.jpg

1_068.jpg

1_074.jpg

1_075.jpg

Departing the station.......
pass the tower, then the old passenger car repair shops along Canal St.
1_29.jpg

Last edited:
LV finish

Continuing thru the lower yard area
1_080.jpg

1_079.jpg

Passing beneath the Lehigh Valley's North Branch...another busy division we'll look at later.
1_33.jpg

Approach to the Southside Easton Yard & Shops
1_030.jpg

The Southside Easton Shops
1_032.jpg

1_033.jpg

Exiting yard area...along the Lehigh Canal and River...the Lehigh Foundry looms in background
1_035.jpg

The mainline towards Bethlehem......tucked between the waterways and the bluffs beneath Berwick St.
1_039.jpg

Approaching Borough of Glendon
1_040.jpg

Reaching the (old) Glendon Bridge.......which connected to West Easton and Avona Heights.
1_043.jpg

Last edited:
Oh My God Kree8tiviT.
I.. I am Speechless. That is just amazing. At least someone is doing something Lehigh Valley. :D Only if there were better Lehigh Valley Motive power. Only if.
Amazing Representation of Easton. I am just in pure Awe.
Although, Might want to replace those Geep 38s. Those weren't quite around in the 60's. I'm a Valley Junkie, So i Know this stuff. ;)

Oh, By the way: Common Power in Easton: RS3s, RS2s, SW8ms, PAs, FAs, Baldwin DS44-10s, S2s, S4s, RS11s, F7A-F7B, Geep 9s (sometimes) the C420s, in the time era your modeling. ;) Just for giggles, I'll be skinning a SW1500 to play with.
Sean

Last edited:
that's pretty damn awesome. i'm doing the same area (but the PRR line from PRR line from Trenton to belvidere with a branch to Flemington.) i don't have much to show for it only track laid. but I'm making a crap load of custom content for it.

Maybe we could join forces and extend the length of the line.

Meanwhile, across the river........

Having left-off with the LV Black Diamond at the Glendon bridge: meanwhile, across the river............

A Reading mixed-freight heads east on the Jersey Central mainline
1_201.jpg

Lead by sw1500 #2752
1_205.jpg

1_203.jpg

With assist by RS3 #512
1_206.jpg

eastbound along Lehigh Drive, below the Avona Heights section of town
1_212.jpg

1_218.jpg

Approaching Lehigh Foundry
1_214.jpg

At the bridge crossing Main St in West Easton.......
1_213.jpg

behind the foundry is the Delightform Bra Company
1_224.jpg

above the foundry's engineering offices
1_220.jpg

Last edited:
The is incredible. I will absolutely whip this track out when its released. You have a real talent! 2 thumbs up!

Continuing......RDG

The Reading freight continues east on the CNJ mainline........Reading equipment was common on the CNJ, in fact, from a financial and administrative point of view, towards the end, the Reading practically ran the CNJ.

leaving the Lehigh Foundry area
1_215.jpg

junction at industrial siding which leads to the foundry and neighboring businesses
1_228.jpg

continues along Lehigh Drive, passing under the Lehigh Valley North Branch's bridge
1_217.jpg

pass the Jersey Central freight siding at Easton, Pa
1_223.jpg

1_227.jpg
Approach to CNJ station, Easton, Pa
1_227.jpg

1_231.jpg

1_231.jpg
Sadly, both this passenger station and the adjoing freight station burned down
1_233.jpg

Leaving the station.....onto the bridge across the Lehigh River below So.3rd St and the dam at Scott park
1_235.jpg

Last edited:
continue......RDG

Having cleared the CNJ station at Easton......the reading contiues east......

Crossing the Lehigh River.......the LV station in background below the bluffs of Lachenour Heights section of Southside Easton
1_237.jpg

Bridge over So. 3rd St, Easton leading into the Mt. Ida cut. with a view up 3rd St to Center Square Easton
1_239.jpg

exiting Mt. Ida.....curved track in foreground comes from the "connector bridge" joining the PRR mainline
1_241.jpg

over Rt.611 and the Delaware Canal
1_243.jpg

Onto the CNJ bridge over the Delaware River. You'll notice, the CNJ bridge had handrails, the LV did not........
1_245.jpg

perhaps this is one reason why the CNJ bridge was a favorite "perch" from which to get an unobstructed view of the fireworks displays during holidays
It is from this location, that I mention in my opening remarks at start of the tread, that you could be within eyesight of 5 stations.

Over the Pennsy's Bel-Del mainline.......the "Connector Bridge", the dam at the confluence of the two rivers, and the Easton "Free Bridge" all in background
1_247.jpg

Making landfall into New Jersey..................
1_249.jpg

Last edited:
A short distance further east...........

With the Reading freight reaching Jersey soil.............we jump a short distance further east in the town of Phillipsburg, NJ

where we catch the Central Railroad of New Jersey passenger service......running westbound from New York and points in NJ
1_300.jpg

At the head, is GP7 1530
1_301.jpg

passing behind the Atlantic States Pipe and Foundry......
1_308.jpg

which I believe in earlier times was Shamoon Industries
1_310.jpg

Approach to bridge over Stockton St.
1_332.jpg

Stockton & Sitgreaves St.
1_319.jpg

1_342.jpg

1_323.jpg

Last edited:
continuing......CNJ

Having cleared the bridge at Stockton St......the CNJ continues westward in Phillipsburg........

Behind the neighborhoods at Pine Alley & Sitgreaves St
1_348.jpg

1_344.jpg

off Jersey St
1_327.jpg

1_350.jpg

and below the bluffs of Washington St.

reaching the intersection of South Main & Sitgreaves St......where we approach the CNJ Phillipsburg Station.
1_354.jpg

Last edited:
Fantastic work! Very great screenshots and amazing detail. :)

I'm really looking forward to seeing more pictures. Keep up the great work!

:wave:

Gisa ^^

continue........CNJ

Approach into Phillipsburg.........
1_356.jpg

1_345.jpg

passing the freight operations of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western......
1_355.jpg

and to the "PU" tower. Locals refer to the bridge carrying So. Main St. traffic as the "Black Bridge"
1_357.jpg

CNJ's Phillipsburg, NJ station..............
1_369.jpg

This station was actually shared with the CNJ using the south side of buuilding, and Lackawanna using the north side.
1_363.jpg

1_365.jpg

Departing the station, on approach to the junction with the Lackawanana and the Bel-Del cutoff junctions
1_385.jpg

at the foot of Market St
1_375.jpg

and to the bridge over the Delaware.
1_379.jpg

To be continued tomorrow................Mark

Last edited:
Wow,

That is amazing detail. You should be very proud of your roue, its a masterpiece. I look forward to seeing more screen shots in the future.

Very well done.

Cheers

Trent

By carefully studying your many, many screenshots I have taken notice of much of all your superb tracklaying skills and texturing techniques. I especially am interested in the trees, bushs, grass, and I am asking, is this a Trainz 2009 route ?

I think we all can learn alot from careful examination of all your wonderful screenshots. This route looks alive with realism !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back