Long overdue Glasgow Tramway (closed 1962) -massive project long completed - thoughts

rjhowie

I first started this years ago and due to size went off and on regarding the build. Originally got hold of a pen drawn layout on a giant rolled sheet at a model rail show and thought would do the west of the city where I have always lived. Then frowned at lines ending and pondered on another bit so after the west did the city centre then the north and over the months into the east and completed everything north of the River Clyde and thought "that is it taking ages and too big. However I had the lines going over the bridges and nothing. Fiddled and kept being of the opinion it could never be completed due to the size of the former system. Once again I crawled through the south another break and the southeast tempted and got done and the final area the southwest!

Think it took me at least three years off and on and having been a lover of the thing since a wee boy captivated me. Silversmith did a brilliant job producing the various cars - Standard, Kilmarnock Bogie, Single Decker, Coronation, Cunarder and brilliant. When in discussion with him said that when young in the tram days living in Whiteinch the No 17 ran from there to Cambuslang so he produced a car with the number and destination on it! The only passing problem was driving facility was only included on one end so at each terminus crossover I put in an invisible circle. The city had the largest system out with London and 1,200 trams. Routes went into the country and all over the place only two folk had copies - one a tram fan from outside the city who contacted me and years ago he drove to my home to get a copy - a Belfast man got one as well. Have blethered on this because it took so long and never thought i would ever be able to do the whole thing. To get an idea of it visit my website and I have slideshows for the West, Centre, North, East, South East, South, West. On top of all the effort I actually alked every former route and traced where every terminus had been. In addition I did something odd. A second line from one of the western routes was proposed to be built in 1948 as a second route into Clydebank and linking with the Duntocher line at the edge of the country but I have added it!

For all it's routine faults as my first attempt on Trainz with great ambition (1), I feel it should be made available for tram fans to explore if faults and all. To explore it will frankly take ages as you will see on the site and maps so now what I need to do after all my enjoyment is to get round to the procedure of making it available. I built what was over ten tram depots although made them to suit Trainz. If you have not seen my site pay a visit and am I doing the concrete thing wanting to make it available??

Visit and am I putting something worthwhile up?

Bobby (visit.... www.http://www.glasgowtramsim.moonfruit.com

ps. The round yellow tram stops are not factual but I used them as more obvious when first tinkered with Trainz building.

Hi Bobby

The link to your site in the OP has been corrupted as it is showing as "http://www.http//www.glasgowtramsim.moonfruit.com"

I've looked at your site previously and was staggered by the complexity/size of your route. I'm sure that there is an audience for this project if it was available on the DLS.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

A good New Year to you in Glasgow,
I cannot access your link either.
I have followed your various threads on the forums and would like to add PLEASE upload your Glasgow tram system.

Many thanks in advance.. I await the correct link..
helian 43

Firstly Richard57 I can see the pictures as clam has said.
However it has been ages since I looked at my site and what I have found annoying is that each area slide-show pictures are there but you no longer get what was the automatic slide-show. Instead you have to come out a picture then click on the next one which takes a lot longer (some of my rough sketch maps of each region of the city either are too faint or don't show. Can I link you all to this general map although some parts are off the page but it does show how massive my off and on build was years ago and why several times nearly threw in the towel. Wish I could solve the slideshow of all the pictures issue. John expect a message! here is the map......
https://urbanglasgow.co.uk/glasgow-tram-map-t454.html

Getting more puzzled.

Re Flash when I use my Opera I get the odd revised appearance of the website but when I use MSN the site comes up in all it's colour and you can see the rough ketch maps as well as the all over map later on. This going into it with the following....
http://glasgowtramsim.moonfruit.com/?use_flash=1. However on Google it isn't aware of it and when I delete the flash reference and just keep to the name I get the warped version. Odd it is in all it's proverbial glory on MSM but not alternatives. Making me groan as the "alternatives" are useless.

Will have a look Malc as it is frustrating that I added Flash but only does the proper presentation via MSN.

Bobby

The Dangers of Adobe Flash and Shockwave
Not many websites use Adobe Shockwave anymore. Not only does it have security issues, it’s awkward because it causes the browser to load an external file, called a .dll on Windows and .so on Linux. (If you do that with an unsigned .dll it would throw up an error in Windows. Adobe Shockwave is signed by Microsoft.) A .dll is a security risk because that launches a new process with access to its own memory. Hackers use exactly that approach to gain access to the operating system.

Adobe Flash is different, but not much. That runs inside the same process and memory as the web browser. But frequent bugs in that software give hackers lots of opportunities to gain access to memory. When they do that, they can cause the browser to jump to a specific memory address and take control of the machine.

Adobe Flash in the Browser
Google says it will end support for Adobe Flash by the end of 2016, sort of. It will set the default preference in the browser to use HTML5. But the websites Facebook, Google-owned YouTube, Amazon, and Yahoo will still use Adobe Flash by default. Yet Google says it will slowly reduce the list of websites for which Flash is the default player in Chrome.

Already Flash does not run in Chrome on Android, iOS, or Mac OS. On Windows, Linux, or a Chromebook, in Chrome you can type this command to see it:

LOL.... Time to embrace HTML5

There is something about this techy issue that is for now beyond me.

As I pointed out once I added Flash I get the original well coloured website the maps show up brilliantly as does the large actual network map. I am usually using Opera and did not know the site had been really mucked up hence my disappointment at going to a lot of basic effort building the site years ago. The project itself was so large and my first then attempt at something on Trainz and kept having breaks then back a few months later.

As it only properly shows up on MSN I feel the thing is detracted after all my efforts - colours gone - sketched lines of each region of the network and the whole system map blurred. It is tempting me to delete the website after all the initial efforts ages ago. I see it as it should be but others aren't and I don't know if there is a way round this but to scrub my site after the work.

I am still in the land of being niggled when I see that this giant tramway thing which I went on and off over a few years and got finished cannot be seen properly - site wise.

As I have already said I can only see the proper site by searching for it on MSN and when done their the full colours, maps and missing sketch maps can be seen fully. So too can the old offical system coloured map - try this -https://urbanglasgow.co.uk/glasgow-tram-map-t454.html

It is annoying that for some oddity apart from the layout altered the slideshows in each of the regions can only be seen on MSN only as well rather than this damn nuisance situation. It detracts from the long, long effort in building what is a massive real former tramways system for a city and surrounding places. Very frustrating as it would draw more attention to what I attempted and would have put the routing person off by it's size. I think there were at least 3 occasions when I considered throwing in the towel and thought I was being too ambitious (Caesar, oh Caesar!).

Suppose I could throw in the towel and delete the website but that does also annoy having taken all the time to do it. And whille i am very irritated here is another groan in that my other large project still working on again - namely Northern Ireland railways plus three lines over the Border re IrishRail, and Dublin is in the exactly same situation (www.northernirelandrailwaysim.moonfruit.com/). Again only seen properly searching on MSN.
:n:

hi there from Glasgow.

I could not understand why my giant tramway based on the Glasgow one shut in 1960's vanished. It took me many months to build a great many former Glasgow tram routes and all the depots that once existed, Plus around 9 depots and it covered 140 miles.

I could not frankly understand why one night went onto my pc and then discovered it was no longer there. A Trainzer down in England built uc h realistic trams -Standard, Kilmarnock Bogie, Coronation Single decker and they were brilliant. Utterly stunned having taken many months when I switched PC on it and my whole Northern Ireland Rly had simply vanished leaving me stunned along with my city'd former tramway both running into years. Both ran into three or so years. Left me stunned and too big to start again but I did give a shrunk copy of both to a Belfast Trainz member so will phone him as re-starting both impossible.

Think like the Belfast fan who is a train and tram book writer will arrange copies of both to me and like him I will install a more modern dated version of Trainz. So feel free to send a message to me in Glasgow!

Bobby

Back