Linking session & route

That's not true!

Session layers can be merged onto the route layer as I've stated above. Never merge route layer to the session layer, I have downloaded a few routes from the DLS where the route maps are completely empty this is because the author is completely unaware that the route layer has become part of the session layer and may have deleted the session 'goodbye route'! All that hard work gone.. Always, merge session layers to the route layer avoiding any mishaps ;)
I did not say merge, I said move (dragged) to the route section from the session section. Any layer can be dragged from the session to the route and vice versa. The two main layers (route and session) should not be dragged into the other section.

I did not say merge, I said move (dragged) to the route section from the session section. Any layer can be dragged from the session to the route and vice versa. The two main layers (route and session) should not be dragged into the other section.
My apologises for not reading correctly ;) Age is creeping up :p LOL

When you create a new route it will always come with two empty layers named "route-layer" and "session-layer". The "route-layer" will be in the top section of layers, called (very imaginatively) the Route Layers and the "session-layer" will be in the lower section, called the Session Layers. The Route Layers are always saved with the route while the Session Layers are always saved with the session - something that inexperienced creators tend to forget.

As an iron clad rule I never rename the "route-layer" or the "session-layer" so that they are always easy to identify. I never move them (so that they always remain at the top of their respective groups) and I never merge them into another layer (but merging other layers into them is OK).

All the tracks and track objects (with very few exceptions) I always place in the "route-layer". The exceptions can be track marks and triggers that may only be required in specific sessions.

All rolling stock I always place in the "session-layer" so that different sessions can have different rolling stock objects. This is now particularly important for those versions of Trainz that come with the UDS as the current position of all rolling stock objects is now a session property, even if the rolling stock object is in the route. The UDS is now a feature of TRS19PE, TRS22 (both versions) and Trainz Plus.

Following these rules has kept me a happy route and session creator.

With the exception that I remember (or misremember? I`m going to have to check soon!) the two sections in the reverse order, and that I hadn`t yet learned a trick or two that he mentioned above (but they are good ideas; I`ll have to remember them), I agree with what @pware said above. You can even place track into a session layer, but only if you want it to exist in that session only. Rare. Very rare, but doable. Trouble is some people do it by accident, and that is bad. Very bad. I`ve heard of routes where everything had been placed in the session layer(s), the (empty!) route uploaded somewhere, and the session (where all of the hard work was stored) deleted. Fun. Not. Be careful!

Good names for some of the layers (should be obvious what goes in each) include Track, Roads, Buildings, Signs, Plants, Animals, Industries, Scenery (Other), and any other category of stuff that you want to be able to (un)lock as a group when editing something (else).

You can also move layers within each group. When I merge a session to the route layer I create a new session layer and move it to the top of the session section.

The session layer will not sit in the route section because some things must be kept in the session layer. Other layers from the session section can be moved to the route section. Whichever layer sits at the top of the session section becomes the session layer.

In S1 below the track tab, you will see a layer tab, open it and you will see the different layers. The top part is all saved to the route while the bottom half is saved to the session. Select the session layer in the bottom half then click on what looks like a three-pronged fork at the bottom. A window will open and you can select which layer you want to merge into. Select route layer and then click on merge.
Can I switch to S1 when I have created my route and its now unconnected Session with S2?

I am beginning to think that it might be easier in the long run, if I just create a new Session that is connected to my route I only have about a dozen AI trains at the moment, so it will only take an hour or so of writing driver instructions again.

Back