Linking session & route

rhban

Some time ago, the game, for no apparent reason, renamed my route "Default" and scrapped my name for it. That's OK, but the session that belongs to it still has the original name so I have to be careful when using Drive, that I click on the right session.
I have renamed my route, but how do I connect the session to it?

How did you rename your route? with a simple rename, your session should still be linked to the route by referencing the route by its kuid. If what you did created a new kuid for the route, you`ll have to replace the old route kuid in the session with the new route kuid. Doing so requires some editing of the session outside of Trainz. I believe that it would be easy for me, but I don`t know how comfortable you with mucking about with the innards of assets, and I don`t actually know that my method would work. It involves editing the config.txt file to replace the old route kuid with the new route kuid.

When you select your route from the route selection only sessions attached to it will show. You may have saved the route as new, which is why it shows default for the name. The session at that time will move with the route but won't change its name. Just open the config file of the route and change the name and save, then submit the route.

@rhban:
You may have saved the route as new, which is why it shows default for the name. The session at that time will move with the route but won't change its name.
That`s pretty much what I meant by
How did you rename your route? with a simple rename, your session should still be linked to the route by referencing the route by its kuid. If what you did created a new kuid for the route,
I suppose I could have been somewhat clearer about that. @stagecoach: Thank you for the clarification.

I am thinking that you have saved your route onto the session layer, which could be the reason why you have accidently renamed your route thinking it's the session name that you were changing.

If you load up the session by choosing 'Edit Session' don't choose Edit Route, whatever you do! Then merge the session layer to the route layer, save your route with the name you have given it originally, then save the session giving it a meaningful name. That should solve the issue 'Fingers crossed' ;)

I am thinking that you have saved your route onto the session layer, which could be the reason why you have accidently renamed your route thinking it's the session name that you were changing.

If you load up the session by choosing 'Edit Session' don't choose Edit Route, whatever you do! Then merge the session layer to the route layer, save your route with the name you have given it originally, then save the session giving it a meaningful name. That should solve the issue 'Fingers crossed' ;)
I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "merge the session layer to the route" - that is very much what I want to do, but I can't figure out how to do it.

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean by "merge the session layer to the route" - that is very much what I want to do, but I can't figure out how to do it.
Ok! To move the session layer onto the route layer

1) Load up Edit Session

Note: If you are using TRS22 PE or have a Trainz Plus subscription and Surveyor 2.0 is enabled, I would strongly suggest using Surveyor Classic.
To change from Surveyor 2.0 to Surveyor Classic, click on the 'Wrench/Screwdriver' icon at the top to open the tools menu, then choose 'Edit in Surveyor Classic'.

2) On the right, you will see a few tool menus, hover your mouse over these and find the one that will read 'Layers'
hint: The icon looks like a stack of steel sheets. Open this menu!

3) Click on the 'Session-layer' then hover your mouse of where you see these icons '+, X, something that looks like 3 railway sidings going into a single line, and a padlock'. When you read 'Merge Layer' click on this icon.. Hint it's the one that looks like 3 railway sidings ;)

4) Then a pop up dialog box will appear, asking you to choose which layer you want to merge the session layer to. Choose the appropriate 'route-layer'.
Note: If your route is generated by TransDEM you will have more than one layer. You only need to merge Session-Layer to 'Route-Layer'.

Warning: If the padlock in in the closed position, merging the layers will be impossible. Make sure that the padlock is in the 'opened' position.

Quick key hints: Press F6, note if you have an FN key on your keyboard. Press FN+F6 to open the layers tool menu.
Click on the session-layer, then press 'M' then choose, route-layer when prompt..

Allow the process to complete, then you can start saving your route and session ;)

Or, instead of merging layers, might he want to simply move the layer from the Session section at the top to the Route section at the bottom? I may be wrong, but I think that it would go faster that way. On the other hand, while merging is likely to be slower up front, the performance in the future is likely to be slightly better for merging than moving. Unnoticeably better by itself, but unnoticeable delays have a habit of piling up into something quite noticeable when you allow them to pile up. (Just ask the authors of a disk defragmentation program.)

Or, instead of merging layers, might he want to simply move the layer from the Session section at the top to the Route section at the bottom? I may be wrong, but I think that it would go faster that way. On the other hand, while merging is likely to be slower up front, the performance in the future is likely to be slightly better for merging than moving. Unnoticeably better by itself, but unnoticeable delays have a habit of piling up into something quite noticeable when you allow them to pile up. (Just ask the authors of a disk defragmentation program.)
It does the same thing as merging using the merge layers button on the bottom of the interface.

Not according to what I remember from my Trainz2009/2010 days. Back then, the layers were divided into two sets, and it was possible to move a layer from one set to the other without merging it with anything. This is what I was referring to, not any form of merge, regardless of where the command button is found. Point of fact, I was attempting to suggest the possibility of not merging at all, as an alternative option, with a comparison of the costs of each option. As such, I seriously doubt that the Merge Layers button at the bottom of the interface does anything even remotely similar to what I was discussing.

If, on the other hand, you were talking about something else, why did you quote me instead? <confusedly-scratching-head>

When you drag the session layer into the top route layer section, it merges the two together and won't create a sub-layer.

I have seen this before with layers when I've edited routes that were set up incorrectly. One route in particular had many sub-layers in the Session layer that had content that should've been on the route-layer. I dragged the sub-layers into the route-layer and they remained separate, however... when dragging a session-layer, with no sub-layers into the route-layer, the two merged together.

Not exactly what I remember, but I never did much layer work back then, and none yet in my new toy, so I`ll have to take your word about it.

Meanwhile, dragging layers around sounds to me like a situation where you might drag a layer onto another layer when you mean to drag it between two layers. Again, I have no recent experience with layers in Trainz, but I do have enough experience with dragging things around in a list to wonder if dragging a layer onto another layer means merge while dragging it between layers means move. If that is the case in trains, I`d have to be careful, as I know from experience that it is often easy to do one while trying to do the other, ending up with unexpected results. My defragger is still running (currently on pass twelve) so I`m in no position to test this for myself, or I would do so without hesitation. Would you be willing to test Trainz for knowing the difference?

I really don't understand what you are saying. I haven't the faintest idea how to merge or move layers. In fact, I'm not even sure what you mean by "layers" here. I take it you are not talking about S2.

Correct. The feature has existed at least as far back as Trainz2009. I`m not sure about Trainz2004. Layers are an essential feature for protecting route-builders from accidentally editing the wrong thing. Help/Layers Tab looks like a decent place to start learning about them. Enjoy.

The session layer will not sit in the route section because some things must be kept in the session layer. Other layers from the session section can be moved to the route section. Whichever layer sits at the top of the session section becomes the session layer.

In S1 below the track tab, you will see a layer tab, open it and you will see the different layers. The top part is all saved to the route while the bottom half is saved to the session. Select the session layer in the bottom half then click on what looks like a three-pronged fork at the bottom. A window will open and you can select which layer you want to merge into. Select route layer and then click on merge.

The session layer will not sit in the route section because some things must be kept in the session layer. Other layers from the session section can be moved to the route section. Whichever layer sits at the top of the session section becomes the session layer.

In S1 below the track tab, you will see a layer tab, open it and you will see the different layers. The top part is all saved to the route while the bottom half is saved to the session. Select the session layer in the bottom half then click on what looks like a three-pronged fork at the bottom. A window will open and you can select which layer you want to merge into. Select route layer and then click on merge.
That's not true!

Session layers can be merged onto the route layer as I've stated above. Never merge route layer to the session layer, I have downloaded a few routes from the DLS where the route maps are completely empty this is because the author is completely unaware that the route layer has become part of the session layer and may have deleted the session 'goodbye route'! All that hard work gone.. Always, merge session layers to the route layer avoiding any mishaps ;)

Back