Layout Bashing or how to get more enjoyment out of Trianz Model Railroad....

You are part of a BNSF Mow crew and have been given clearance over any red signals in your path as soon as the Amtrak local passes you at Station #03. Your destination is the AA Cold Storage facility to inspect the trackage along your route. Enjoy the view from your Hi Rail cab.

Last edited:
Nice work you've done on this layout so far, Could i ask where you got this crew change over platform from please ? I do remember making sumthing like this along time ago but not sure if it was released anywhere and that one is very similar to mine.
Great work so far anyway's.
Cheers Mick.:)

Nice work you've done on this layout so far, Could i ask where you got this crew change over platform from please ? I do remember making sumthing like this along time ago but not sure if it was released anywhere and that one is very similar to mine.
Great work so far anyway's.
Cheers Mick.:)

Actually this piece was what came with the default Brazemore Yard Layout in TMR17......sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Reconstruction update.......so if you have been following this thread from the beginning you remember the following apt/office complex and adjacent office....

Below: So I added a basketball court, parking lot with cars and some people sitting on benches.....

But I was never really satisfied with the finished look, I guess just not enough of an "Industrial" look to it......So.......the office complex on right side of the apts became the brewery...while the apts with the
basketball court became the Budweiser offices...

Above: The inspiration came from growing up in the Northeast, I use to travel through Philadelphia on a regular basis (North Philadelphia) and remember seeing these abandoned 1950-60's brick factories and warehouses all looking similar but had different companies that occupied them...

Above: So I thought why not have Budweiser have more than one building originally, a brewery ,an office and a warehouse....the warehouse as seen before became AA Cold Storage but above is the Bud Brewery
a762c6d9c0035555d5fc2d8c5d264d93.png

Above pictures: Again using the Budweiser warehouse I enlarged it by combining several of them and used the opposite side from AA Cold Storage to form the brewery, this time displaying the Budweiser logo. I added some semi trailers, billboards and forklifts with workers. Dumpsters and garbage cans along with empty pallets and I changed the doors. Dave Snow has a great series called "Build a facility" for download that has brick and steel buildings along with docks, doors and windows to super detail them. That's where the single white doors came from. And if you look closely at the JB Hunt Trailer, I placed a forklift next to the rear of it. Finally I removed the apt complex and basketball court and replaced it with a more modern office for the Budweiser team to work out of.

Last edited:
Simple details to bring your scenes to life.......below is a pretty common site at offices all over the world....the lunch time food truck...in this case Yummy Sushi at the Budweiser offices....add truck and people =
instant scene... (Btw: Yummy Sushi is a real place on Coronado Beach in California..Excellent sunset views of the ocean)

The below scene is another easy detail you can add to almost any route....Just add benches and a seated person talking to a standing person...

Last edited:
Below some more details....Added some picnic tables to the left side of the Budweiser office, added two people and an open 55 gallon rusted drum for trash and if you look closely a bottle by the foot of the girl...is it a Bud ?

Below: Next added light posts to the parking lot and next to the dock and sides along with some rusted 55 gallon barrels by the dumpster:

Put some more oil drums out next to the pallets along with 2 chairs and another barrel used as a table plus more lights...
940fa2643afbd94b7d28d5c9dcf0eee5.png

And one more light for the side...

Last edited:
Just some random details........

Above: A new billboard for Carl's Jr. is being completed....

Above: UPS out making a delivery...(came across the hand truck and thought this would be a good use for it)

@Railhead001. It appears to me, you have/had Model RR experience. Read much Kalmbach books, and Model Railroader magazines... and a great interest in George Sellios, and those like him. [While George is most known for his grandiose city scenes; he's well established as the modern John Allen (considered of course the greatest Model Railroader of all time); and most known for his spectacular "over-the -top" (if you will :D ), Model RR the "Gorre & Daphetid" and Colorado Mountain Model Railroading scenes! ]

George: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvbg_tL9JXM
John: http://www.doug56.net/GD/page6.html

@Trainz community. This newbie is the one to watch!!! ;)

@Railhead001. It appears to me, you have/had Model RR experience. Read much Kalmbach books, and Model Railroader magazines... and a great interest in George Sellios, and those like him. [While George is most known for his grandiose city scenes; he's well established as the modern John Allen (considered of course the greatest Model Railroader of all time); and most known for his spectacular "over-the -top" (if you will :D ), Model RR the "Gorre & Daphetid" and Colorado Mountain Model Railroading scenes! ]

George: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvbg_tL9JXM
John: http://www.doug56.net/GD/page6.html

@Trainz community. This newbie is the one to watch!!! ;)

Well, I have read a lot of Model Railroader magazines since I was in elementary school.....although I never really had any layouts per se. But I have been pretty active on the virtual front starting with MSTS and the original Trainz. Thanks for sharing the links, believe it or not, I never heard of George Sellios before your post but I am a big fan of John Allen's creations and will now look into George's. I'm pretty much a detailed oriented person, lol, guess this is a good showcase for it. If only I spent as much time operating these trains as I do creating the scenes for them:D..............

"A new billboard for Carl's Jr. is being completed...."

I don't think they can complete the billboard.

Not with that ladder...

:)

I love this thread, seeing how it all develops.

That billboard vignette with the ladder going through the sign reminds me of one I saw at the Model Railroad Museum in San Diego last year. I laughed to myself (i.e. not LOL) when I realised the guys were sticking the poster upside down by mistake.

We have a lot of billboards in Trainz, but none like this, unfortunately.

IMG_2585.jpg~original

Last edited:
Bad weather means overtime for Mow crews.................unfortunately that also means long delays for the local Amtrak service....

Above pics: Always something that can be added to almost any route...some fallen trees and the heavy equipment to remove them

Dinorious_Redundicus,

Well if you prefer.......................................lol

That's one heck of a ladder. :) At least they got the sign the right way up!

BTW, I've just released an update of that Infranord MoW truck. Also versions for Reading, Missouri Pacific and Union Pacific railroads. They have transparent windows and cab interiors etc, so they look a little better. Search in CM with the term "Chevy 3500" and you should see them all, both static scenery and road traffic versions.

I'm liking those worker guys with yellow helmets. Can you tell me where to get them?

~ Deane

Last edited:
That's one heck of a ladder. :) At least they got the sign the right way up!

BTW, I've just released an update of that Infranord MoW truck. Also versions for Reading, Missouri Pacific and Union Pacific railroads. They have transparent windows and cab interiors etc, so they look a little better. Search in CM with the term "Chevy 3500" and you should see them all, both static scenery and road traffic versions.

I'm liking those worker guys with yellow helmets. Can you tell me where to get them?

~ Deane

Any chance of BNSF version of the 3500 ?, Anyway the workers are under the title of "HP-Arbeiter01" up to 07.....on the DLS.

Well, I have read a lot of Model Railroader magazines since I was in elementary school.....although I never really had any layouts per se. But I have been pretty active on the virtual front starting with MSTS and the original Trainz. Thanks for sharing the links, believe it or not, I never heard of George Sellios before your post but I am a big fan of John Allen's creations and will now look into George's. I'm pretty much a detailed oriented person, lol, guess this is a good showcase for it. If only I spent as much time operating these trains as I do creating the scenes for them:D..............
Oh... I'm sorry, I referred to you as a "newbie"! :mop:The original version of Trainz... huh! Heh, heh! :D I guess that makes you a veteran :hehe:

"... I'm pretty much a detailed oriented person..." and that is what makes a MR... a great MR! The interest is in the details! And it is in those "details" that we're all interested in your work!!! :cool: So uh... keep it up; and stop fiddling and writing on this here' Forum! You have a grand MR to build... and "operate" ;)

Back