JR 16-645E engine sound

hiyo

Suspect is hatless
Hi all

Just wondering what particular engine model or locomotive this engine sound is based on. Not criticising, just curious as I've been comparing and swapping sounds in Trainz.

I've always thought the JR 20-645 engine sound was closer to an SD40-2 sound or Australian locos with the same 16 cylinder engine. See links below for reference.

UP SD40-2 - https://youtu.be/cIpHWUFu-Go

Australian EMD GT26 with 16-645E3 - https://youtu.be/JY-13S4_Ulw

I thought there might be variations between countries on exhaust systems etc that would change the sound, but even the British Class 59 sounds similar with the 16-645.

Cheers
Hiyo

@hiyo
Please explain what kuids you are asking about.

@poolboy
We do have a brand new 20-645 sound that has not been edited yet.

Honestly, I think JR could do better with their sounds. The engine sounds, cab sounds, and others are all the same no matter the locomotives.

Part of what makes locomotives unique, is the different sounds they make, and spending the money to buy the newest locomotive only to find out they have the same sounds as the lower-end models is a little disappointing.

-End.

How can we do better? We sample them directly from the actual locomotive. If you're suggesting we get them from each unique locomotive is a bit much. Sorry you're disappointed.

The same was said of horns as if we should record a new horn for each locomotive.

I understand that each machine can have it's own characteristics, but we do put the 'proper' sound for each locomotive engine in each unless for some reason they are not available to be recorded. If you have some ideas that are better described than "they could do better" please share them. Also, I personally think that it would be ludicrous to put lower quality sounds on some items and not others. We will always use the best of we have available at the time.

@hiyo
Please explain what kuids you are asking about.

@poolboy
We do have a brand new 20-645 sound that has not been edited yet.

The 16-645 sound is <kuid2:45324:53004:3> by your good self. It's a dependency for my CR and UP SD40-2s by JR.

The 20-645 sound is <kuid2:200202:53645:2> by csx_sd60, dependency for the PRR/CR/PC SD45s and CR SD45M by JR.

I've noticed GE sounds tend to vary between countries for the 7FDL.

Cheers
Hiyo

<kuid2:45324:53006:1> should replace that one.

To be honest, that one you listed is a very old sound I did from several recorded videos and the sounds were not off of a single locomotive. Since then we have recorded an actual single locomotive with this engine with recording gear to get the best possible audio. Startup, all of the notches, and shutdown as well as various other sounds from around the loco like latches and switches in the cab are recorded where as before when JR was a lot smaller and it was a hobby we were just ripping them from old videos.

You can find the 53006 kuid at jointedrail.com in the dependencies section under engine sounds.

<kuid2:45324:53006:1> should replace that one.

To be honest, that one you listed is a very old sound I did from several recorded videos and the sounds were not off of a single locomotive. Since then we have recorded an actual single locomotive with this engine with recording gear to get the best possible audio. Startup, all of the notches, and shutdown as well as various other sounds from around the loco like latches and switches in the cab are recorded where as before when JR was a lot smaller and it was a hobby we were just ripping them from old videos.

You can find the 53006 kuid at jointedrail.com in the dependencies section under engine sounds.

Thanks NS37. 53006 sounds a lot closer to the 16-645E in real life.

Back