I've come to the conclusion there are some people who should not own a computer!

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
My sister called me for support the other day. Her laptop "wouldn't start" and she couldn't log in, according to her description. I got out the usual tools - a USB thumb drive with a toolbox of various cleaning, fixing, and antimalware utilities on it. She brought the system over for me to look at about 30 minutes later, gave me her password and left.

The machine was gross! Filthy with cigarette ashes, tar, food, and even a burn mark from a butt drop! She smokes heavily - and is supposed to quit someday - not soon enough for this poor laptop. I took the machine downstairs to the basement workshop where we have an air compressor, which we use mostly for power tools and pumping up car tires. I put on the air nozzle attachment and gave the machine more than a once over and removed layer upon layer of dirt. This process was followed by a clean up of the surfaces with some nice industrial-quality, but plastic friendly, cleaners, and once all was done the machine didn't look bad, albeit for the burn.

I noticed too that the keyboard wasn't seated properly so I pushed on that and it snapped back into place. I found out later her cat walked across the laptop and caught the corner of the keyboard with a foot when he jumped off.... Now on to the power up. It powered up fine, but her password wasn't accepted. I tried various things, but those wouldn't nudge it so finally I did a system restore, which brought the machine back to log in. Yay, that problem is fixed!

I then noticed that she had 65 pending Windows updates, but I wanted to remove any malware first because there were a gazillion pop-ups and adverts coming on. I installed Super AntiSpyware Professional free version, and let it run. And run it did for over 4-1/2 hours. In the process it removed nearly 5,000 malware things, including lots of PUPs, and spyware hooks, and some malware. Once that stuff was cleared, I then ran Malwarebytes, which found another 150 actual viruses, and then I ran I/O Bit's Advanced System care which did a registry cleanup, which also found stuff. The totally clean-up time was now goin on 6-1/2 hours and the Windows updates weren't done yet. Wondering why she had no malware protection installed? She did but it had expired because it was one of those trial versions of McAfee which come with most cheap home computers these days.

She came by a bit after that and I told her the progress, but b***'d at me for installing the Windows updates because she wanted to take her laptop then and there. She then said she never does the updates because they take too long, and she just shut her machine down during the last update. Bingo! This explains the corrupted password. So anyway.... I didn't release the laptop for another 2 hours as I let the Windows updates install. She then picked up her machine, and without even a thank you took it home.

I've dealt with other machines with large amounts of malware, but nothing like this, and not with the nasty attitude toward the person repairing the machine. With that I've come to the conclusion that some people don't deserve to own a computer.

John

Conclusion: Do not help sister anymore.

Most people will not change the way they act until they have to start paying for the way they currently act.

Last edited:
Well John, all I can say is, your a good man. Relatives can be (keeping it family friendly) "difficult" to say the least and it tis the season.

A Merry Christmas to you,

Yup. I'm not helping her again.

I'm glad I'm happily single. :D

John

Hey John! A good lesson to be learnt from all your hard work. Don't offer to clean your sister's house, it could be worse than her laptop.
Have a nice Christmas mate, and I hope you have a great New Year!
Cheers,
Roy3b3

You did a professional job there, John.

I have these applications: Super AntiSpyware, AntiMalwarebyes ( which I religiously adhere to ) and you have alerted me to something new I didn't know about, I/O Bit's Advanced System Care, which I'll take a look at. Ta very muchly for listing the applications you used to clean up the laptop. Most of the people who bring their computers to me don't have system restore enabled. One fellow brings me his laptop and the last time I cleaned it out and made it work again I found he was visiting various adult websites, so I told him not to bother coming back. I don't need that kind of vibration or feeling in the house.

I've had this experience when family and friends bring their computers to me.

It seems to me that people get computers and then don't want to learn how to used them. One friend, 78, refuses to go to free computer classes and learn the basics. He just wants to turn in on and go to the sites he wants. He's gone through about 5 computers - throwaways from businesses, quite good computers for doing simple basic tasks like email and browsing. I have moved his Outlook express account to about four of these computers. The job just takes longer and longer.

And then there is the situation when someone gives an "elder" an ipad or something similar, and they can't use it. The "elder" can use their phone, no problems, but the "ipad" is too much. Don't want to learn, actually.

I stop and think now and then that we have all those born in the last 25 - 30 years who have had one sort of computer or another in the home - or school - all their lives, and they don't write now, they type everything. Yet, people 30 years older than them have been on significant learning curves for many years.

Still, there are those who don't want to learn, and are ungrateful. I know what you experienced.

I agree with oknotsen, Do not help sister any more.

So that's why you had trouble typing with a cat on your lap, I know what you mean about the whole sister thing, my sister is somewhat like that.

My favourite cat story is we had field interviewers with laptops, they'd leave them switched and hooked to the phone line over night and around 3 am it would call home with the data. All except one lap top and that one only in the winter. We brought it in and it worked fine in the office. So we asked that it be placed somewhere different in the home. That's when we found out that the interviewer's cat like to curl up on the lap top because it was warm.

Aged parent was happy using Skype and email on one computer but when she moved into the nursing home the set up was very slightly different, it was to much. You can trouble shoot a DOS system by saying which keys to press. You can't do that with Windows.

Cheerio John

For those cleaning jobs, I would add JRT, (Junkware Removal Tool), and herdProtect, an online multi anti-virus/malware detection and removal tool. Both work flawlessly, and I would not be without either.

Bob (CRO)

Mr C,

It seems a strange place, this, to moan about your sister! Anyway, since we're now into the behaviour of your relatives, tell us why you aren't similarly inclined. Do you not share the same genes and upbringing? :p

On the other hand, I too have now learnt about a possibly useful additional cleaning tool (I/O Bit's Advanced System Care) although one is wary of accepting recommendations from an internet forum. Still, you have a very good reputation here so I'll have a look, at least.

Personally I'm not surprised that your sister and those similarly inclined are not willing to be responsible for their behaviour, on the computer or elsewhere. This is (a) a common human failing which is (b) hugely amplified by the opportunities & facilities of modern life. We humans are a flawed entity, eh? (Well, "apart from me & thee - and I'm not so sure about thee" - as The Auld Tyke would say).

Now, did I ever tell you about my first four wives and their many faults? The first was [censored by the TDF anti-boredom monitor, with the approval of the TDF decorum prefect].

Lataxe, who takes humans as he finds them (no other choice is available).

I thank you all for the commiseration and kudos on my job well done, but anyway this wasn't a thread to moan about relatives, though that's easy to do sometimes, but more to moan about the fact that some people really shouldn't own a computer! :)

What really annoyed me about this, is how she abused the hardware. Sure it's a cheap HP laptop that can't even get out of its own way, barely and it's not the best machine. I definitely wouldn't even attempt to play any real games on it because it would probably melt, but for browsing, email, and YouTube it's perfect. Burning the case with a cigarette? Come on, that's plain rude and disgusting, and total carelessness.

Outside of the burning of the computer case and the crud all over the machine in general, my sister is probably typical of the thousands, upon thousands of people out there today that own computers. I have run into another user, not related, that had a PC with viruses. Instead of getting the machine cleaned up, replaced the machine with a new one! The hardware was perfectly good, and not a bad machine for the time, and would have lasted a few more years. Nope she tossed it in the trash, and probably didn't smash the hard drive beforehand. I wish I had that kind of money to throw around....

Speaking of which. I was out for a walk a few months ago and noticed a neighbor put out an old computer for trash. I asked his wife they knew enough to remove the hard drives because those contained the personal data, and of course the answer was No. She said let her husband know a bit later when he came home from work, and sure enough he took the machine back into the house. I didn't see the machine go out for the trash pickup afterwards so I wonder if he decided to rebuild it instead.

This makes me wonder how many people do this as well.... Scary.

I have a toolbox of utilities I use to clean computers and I thank you all for providing other suggestions as I'll add those to my laundry list. In addition to the ones I mentioned above, I also have Combofix, from Bleeping Computer, and other deep cleaners which would have been pressed into service should I had needed them. My malware removal success rate is about 95% since I've been doing this for decades now. I'm sure if I was capable of working again, without falling and dropping things, I could do well with a nice consulting service, which is aimed at the home user at a reasonable price rather than one at the corporate level. There are many, many home users who just don't know or care enough to maintain their computers to tip-top shape no matter how many system utilities are out there.

Cats and computers.... They seem to go together. My sister's cat will sit on her laptop keyboard and send unwanted emails. I warned her to keep the machine out of her email program when she's not using it. My cats will sleep on the chassis or climb up across my arms while typing. In fact Lily cat was moved off my left arm as I started typing this. She's not the only one. My other cat will watch YouTube videos and now as soon as my brother puts on his iPad, she's right there to watch.

Anyway... anyone else have scary stories like these?

John

You're a brave many, John, to face the wrath of an ungrateful relative.

While it is sad to think how she was willfully inviting malware and worse to do their dirty deeds in her computer, what is even scarier to think is how her computer could be used by those same programs to infect other people's computers and create misery in their lives.

Too bad we don't have the equivalent of public heath quarantine laws to isolate those people from the Internet until their computers are no longer infectious.

I've had a similar experience with a bitter customer.

I had a customer bring in a laptop (I do computer repairs from home to earn a bit of 'pocket money'), telling me that a Windows 10 installation had failed and they wanted me to re-install Windows 8.1. They had the disc but their computer didn't have a disc drive according to them. No worries - I can use a USB to do the installation and the serial number was present.

The customer had to get to work so they couldn't stay to show me exactly what was happening, so I had to take the computer inside and give it a look-over myself. Each corner showed signs of damage, the monitor was loose on one side (and the wires were exposed on the other side), there were two keyboard keys missing, and the monitor could have been declared a HAZMAT zone. It was disgusting and I had to clean the whole machine before I'd go any further.

I was horrified that someone could own something as pricey and important for every-day use as a laptop and treat it so poorly. It was the worst condition I'd seen a computer in. The thing would have been two years old at the most, too!

So then I tried to turn it on. The damage was worse than I thought - there was no operating system at all. Just how wrong had the Windows 10 upgrade gone?

To cut this short, while battling problems with a faulty charger, I finally managed to actually get Windows 8.1 installed, activated and working. I played around for a while to make sure everything was ship-shape. I also found out that the computer had a disc drive - the button had just broken. Since I'm not a hardware person, I instead installed a script that would eject the disc tray when its desktop shortcut was clicked on. Once everything was operational again I shut the computer down and let the customer know that it was ready for collection.

The customer collected the computer (and Windows 8 disc) the next day, paid for the work ($60, I charged for two hours on a job that ended up taking 5 or 6, since I'd already agreed on that price), and took it home, then messaged me on Facebook, our initial method of contact, saying that it would not turn on at all and just gave lots and lots of 'era' messages.
(for someone who saw so many 'Error' messages, you'd think they'd be able to spell the word. Evidently, people can be dumber than I thought!)

My gut tells me that the 'era' messages were a result of more computer abuse and not a result of anything I'd done at all. Any attempt to explain such would have been in vain. The customer also became very, very abusive during their online 'lecture' and I figured that the best course of action was just to offer a refund so I wouldn't have to deal with them any more, so that's what happened.

So, that's my experience with someone who should not own a computer, and also my first experience with bitter people who think it's alright to abuse and threaten someone over the internet and also then be all friendly and sweet in-person (since I drove to her house to hand her the refund and get her to sign for it). Completely two-faced.

Now cats, I have no experience to talk of there....

Kieran.

Last edited:
I also dabble in computer repairs, mainly for family and friends. I find it amazing how they can navigate a smart phone with their eyes wide shut, but do not have a clue about computers. I am retired, so I 'fix' PC's and laptops for free.
I am getting an ever growing pile of dead laptops. Tell someone the hard drive or motherboard is dead, and why, (usually dirt, dust and or liquid), and they just go out any buy a new one..... or a tablet.

Bob

Kieran,

The person you dealt with probably had a fit over something and tossed their poor laptop aside. I will hesitantly say she probably had a bit of drink in her when she did that....

I've come across work laptops that came back from the field like that after people were terminated. The rule would be to mail in their laptops if they were out in the field somewhere. I blamed it on the US postal service tossing the boxes around that are marked fragile on them. :)

Bob,

You can now build a Frankinstein laptop from all the parts. These treasure troves of parts have found their way into my basement and have come in handy at times.

Cats... well they love computers. My cat, the one that hangs out with me all day, loves to watch me work in Surveyor. Now that there are shadows, she's even more interested in T:ANE. In the old days she'd run into the room to watch the Auran's bowing to the logo when I started up TRS2004. :)

John

Kieran,

The person you dealt with probably had a fit over something and tossed their poor laptop aside. I will hesitantly say she probably had a bit of drink in her when she did that....

I've come across work laptops that came back from the field like that after people were terminated. The rule would be to mail in their laptops if they were out in the field somewhere. I blamed it on the US postal service tossing the boxes around that are marked fragile on them. :)
They certainly did seem like the kind of person who would do a thing like that. The word 'yobbo' springs to mind....

I think that after they collected their laptop, they either dropped or threw it and something happened to the hard-drive, causing the computer to be unable to boot.

That or they were making it up to try to get more out of me for free - which wasn't going to happen. Whatever it was, it was not a result of my work, but trying to claim either way would just turn into a game of he-said-she-said.

Oh well; it was a good experience from a learning standpoint and I've put some more policies into place, such as ensuring the customer shows me what's wrong with the computer before I start to work on it, and also ensuring the computer's power supply doesn't have any 'quirks'.

Kieran.

They certainly did seem like the kind of person who would do a thing like that. The word 'yobbo' springs to mind....

I think that after they collected their laptop, they either dropped or threw it and something happened to the hard-drive, causing the computer to be unable to boot.

That or they were making it up to try to get more out of me for free - which wasn't going to happen. Whatever it was, it was not a result of my work, but trying to claim either way would just turn into a game of he-said-she-said.

Oh well; it was a good experience from a learning standpoint and I've put some more policies into place, such as ensuring the customer shows me what's wrong with the computer before I start to work on it, and also ensuring the computer's power supply doesn't have any 'quirks'.

Kieran.

Yobbo is new terminology for this side of the globe, but very fitting of a few too many people I know. :)

I learned the same, and not from my sister, many years ago. My dad told me she has "anger management" issues note the quotes... Today I get on the phone usually before I fix the machine, or have the person in my presence. Over the years, I did fix some machines for some good people that paid me well, though I probably charged far less than I should have. One person asked me how much to pay me and I said the same $60. She paid me that plus a batch of chocolate chip cookies. :D The couple were really grateful for me as I was able to totally recover their machine which had an OS problem.

And one more hint. If you have to work in close quarters with someone, leave a door open. I never had an issue with anyone, but sometimes people can make accusations so I always had a public view of where I was with whom. We call this CYA as in Cover Your A--- .

John

Back