Issue in TANE with steam locomotives changing direction

d0g

Hello all,

Sorry if this belongs in another forum area; I wasn't sure where to post it. I have been having an issue with steam locomotives in TANE, and was wondering if they are due to anything I'm doing wrong. Incidentally, this has happened with two locomotives, both from K&L Trainz. I've only run one other steam locomotive not from them, but only ran it once, and not for a very long time at that. I always run in Cab mode.

This is what is happening... I can move the locomotive(s) forward or backward initially with no problems. However, once I come to a stop and change direction, at random occasions, it will not move in the desired direction. This is with the reverser set at + or - 75%, all brakes released, and the regulator advanced. During switching, it seems like this happens roughly half of the time. The only solution to this is to tell it to "drive" in the appropriate direction and then stop it immediately, or to move the reverser into the direction desired, then to where it was previously (the locomotive or train will then lurch in that direction and roll for a few feet), then to the desired direction again. (Example: loco is moving forward and stops. Reverser changes to -75, brakes are released, regulator is advanced but train will not move. Reverser set back to +75. Train lurches forward. Move reverser back to -75%, train will finally reverse.)

I am familiar with the some of the fundamentals of steam operation, but am I missing something here, or is this a glitch? (I have the automatic fireman set, if that makes a difference).

Thanks.

Check the steam chest pressure. When on a run at app. 35-40% cutoff you should move the cutoff to 75% and close the regulator before coming to a stop, so the steam chest pressure reduces to zero before applying the brakes. Then when moving off, either in the same direction or the opposite direction try not to get the steam chest pressure too high. Use only small regulator increments.

Cheers,
Bill69

Back