Is it possible?

-snip-
Please bring back the days of buying a program on a disc.

Then what would you do when you obtain your next computer and it doesn't have a disk drive in it. Or, you scratch your disk and it unreadable. I too prefer that some changes not happen, but then, I recognize that I can't change the world and i have to adapt. In my opinion your lack of internet is a bigger issue than where or what to house your app on.

Also remember that on that Mac the issue (as mentioned above I think) is more graphics card related than CPU related. What graphics exactly is in that Mac you are considering?

Then what would you do when you obtain your next computer and it doesn't have a disk drive in it. Or, you scratch your disk and it unreadable. I too prefer that some changes not happen, but then, I recognize that I can't change the world and i have to adapt. In my opinion your lack of internet is a bigger issue than where or what to house your app on.

Also remember that on that Mac the issue (as mentioned above I think) is more graphics card related than CPU related. What graphics exactly is in that Mac you are considering?

I am not buying another computer. I have no need.

I am simply upgrading an existing Windows desktop for little to no cost.

I have no home high speed internet available. I can't lug my desktop down to the library.

All I want to do is download Trains on my laptop and transfer it to my desktop.

I have every version of Trains from 04 to 12 excluding 10 on DVD. I left Trains a decade ago and just starting to get back into it.

Please, stop with the computer specs. I'm happy with what I have. I'm just not able to download due to internet availability where I live. I just want to buy Trains, download it on my laptop and transfer it into my off line desktop at home.

I'm not asking for computer advice. I just want install this program on an off line computer LEGALLY.

To get the game itself, all you need is a 20GB USB or external drive and a place to go to download from MyTrainz to the USB or external drive.

Bring it home, plug it into your hardware and install it.

There is then the issue of another 24GB of additional content. That currently requires Trainz to be installed on the device you're downloading to.

So for that perhaps phone a friend?

To get the game itself, all you need is a 20GB USB or external drive and a place to go to download from MyTrainz to the USB or external drive.

Bring it home, plug it into your hardware and install it.

There is then the issue of another 24GB of additional content. That currently requires Trainz to be installed on the device you're downloading to.

So for that perhaps phone a friend?

THANK YOU.

My only issue now is finding that friend. If I don't have high speed internet, they don't. I could possibly chip away at the additional content with a cheap cell phone and a prepaid plan tethered.

Will the game be functional? Meaning if I download a track asset, will that be the only asset that works in the game? If so, that would be perfect for me. I could truly customize my install with say Tidewater, Coal Country and Legacy of the BN as the only routes installed.

I have no problem with buying the program, FCT and the routes coupled with a tethered phone. I just went from dejected to excited.

Thank you again.

TRS19 Regional would be the best option - 10GB, works as a standalone.

You could also improve on a phone by getting a wireless modem.

TRS19 Regional would be the best option - 10GB, works as a standalone.

You could also improve on a phone by getting a wireless modem.

I have the North America version sitting in my cart for Mac at the moment. Just waiting for time off to get it.

If I buy the Window version, how would that work? You said I could put it on an external drive and then transfer it to my desktop. Let's say I buy the Tidewater route. Will that install the route and all assets to make it run on the basic install?

If so, you just sold two copies of 2019 Norh American region and a bunch of payware routes.

You get Mac and PC for the one purchase. Each payware route works with the core edition.

Tony, you have to forgive me. My brain is going faster than my typing.

I am buying 2019 for my Mac. It will come with all the content like Kickstarter and the Canadian routes.

If I download the Windows version onto an external drive and transfer it to my desktop, it will not have the content of the routes, just the base game. A functional Trainz game with no content. If I purchase say Tidewater, and load it on the Windows version, will it capture all the assets needed to run the route from the DLS?

What I'm getting at is an install of Trains with just all the assets to run that route. Nothing else. I could then get a FCT and pick and choose what I want to install. I've been away from Trainz for about a decade. That Oily Rags tank car is still in TANE. I scrolled past it in 2006 and scroll past it today.

Instead of a pick list, when I click the tab in surveyor, it would be my pick list. 80% of the built in assets, I will never use. I'm just intrigued by the idea of an install with ONLY the assets I choose.

I liked the DVD distributions also as I gave up on internet by satellite quite a few years ago. Please be aware that TANE and 2019 will refuse to function if they have not been in contact with N3V's servers for more than a month. (Which I believe is why using a cellphone as a hot spot was suggested.)

I chose the other solution, running TANE and 2019 on a gaming laptop and connecting with N3V's servers when I visit someone who will let me use their internet.

It is easy to end up using a lot of disk space with 2019. I've probably downloaded more than you intend to, but it currently occupies 13.5 GB in Program Files and 115 GB in AppData.

My old and new versions of Trainz easily occupy more disk space than any of my other computing tasks, even my other hobby of recording genealogy information the latter of which amounts to 6GB of txt, html and jpg files. (My TransDEM software folder is huge too, but that's another topic. Oops. That exceeds my genealogy folder as well.)

Good luck with your project to run Trainz on your desktop.
:)

Just a word of warning... the specific Routes you mention are large and might bring that Mac down it's knees if the graphics is not up to it...

I asked up in post #21 about your card on that Mac but you did not reply as to graphics in that Mac that I can find.

A bit more info on PC & Mac version. When you purchase the game you get an account on N3V and you have a "MyTrains" account page on the website. On this page you have the downloads that you are entitled to.

The Mac and PC downloads are separate, as are the Routes. Only KickStarter Co. 2 is "built in" with the game. The other Routes would need to be downloaded. If you run Trainz on PC and Mac all those downloads obviously are separate.

Again, please consider your Mac specs carefully. I'm afraid you might be dissappointed. What is the year of that Mac and what OS is it running?

The Mac is an i5 2.7, 8gb of ram and iris pro graphics. I know it will not run the game well, it does run TANE well enough for me at the moment. Hence a chance to upgrade my desktop very cheap for more hard drive space and a little more performance. This isn't about specs, it's about putting this program on non internet computer.

Which I finally think I solved, with Tony's posts.

I use AT&T prepaid plans, this one doesn't allow tethering. Next billing cycle I'm changing. $40 for a phone, $45 for a 15gb high speed plan that allows for tethering. $20 cheaper per month than this one. I just have to change my number and phone, something I do every few years anyway.

Still getting 2019 North American for both. Download the bulk of the windows version on a USB and relying on the phone for the rest. I would trust my service here enough to try it. Just have to cross my toes, hold my mouth right and wait for clear weather.

Before it's said again. If I can run surveyor and test my one board wonders, I I'll be tickled stupid, which is a short trip for me. I don't mind low settings until I can really upgrade.

Back