Is it my computer or....

westaussietoo

or is surveyor a touch unstable? When using it if I zoom in or out or move around too fast it tends to freeze up on me, or stops responding alltogether.
My specs are; 64 bit AMD Athlon IIx2 processor
Nvidia Geforce 8800GT video
3 GB RAM
Also I find the frame rates fluctuate wildly sometimes, dropping to as low as 4 or 5 and up to 18 to 20 at most. I'm wondering because I also have Railworks 2, and the frames are reasonably steady and 15 - 18 and up to as high as 35-40, and their 'surveyor' tool is steady and fast. All the start-up programs on the computer are turned off.
I'm wondering if more RAM would help?
Thanks.

or is surveyor a touch unstable? When using it if I zoom in or out or move around too fast it tends to freeze up on me, or stops responding alltogether.
3 GB RAM
Also I find the frame rates fluctuate wildly sometimes, dropping to as low as 4 or 5 and up to 18 to 20 at most. I'm wondering because I also have Railworks 2, and the frames are reasonably steady and 15 - 18 and up to as high as 35-40, and their 'surveyor' tool is steady and fast. All the start-up programs on the computer are turned off.
Thanks.

I have an Intel i5 650 processor(4 cores) @ 3.2 Mhz and 5 GB of RAM, nvidia GT 430/1GB. No problems at all in surveyor, zooming or otherwise. FPS in driver 30-60, never lower than 20. FPS in surveyor are running 150-200.

tomurban

3 GB RAM
Thanks.

Are you sure you're just not seeing the auto-save occur and attributing a correlation that isn't there?

If you're certain it's not the auto-save, then I'd still look towards the hard disk as the primary culprit. Many installations get done without AHCI drivers, and the 'compatibility mode' on modern SATA chipsets can be horrifically slow in comparision, it's not unusual to see the system stall when dealing with HDD access in such an installation.

If that IS the cause, then sadly enabling AHCI mode is a pretty daunting task - in 99.999% of cases it will require a complete reinstall of the operating system.

Another cause can be using the MS AHCI drivers rather than one by the chipset manufacturer (which could be AMD or nVidia, for example). In particular, the nForce chipsets have HORRIBLE performance using the microsoft drivers, and in fact won't even play audio CDs due to a bug microsoft included. Again, a benchmark would show this up.

It should be possible to determine whether the HDD is running in the right mode with any of a number of free/trialware utilities such as HDtune.

Once you've determined if it's running in AHCI mode, you might want to see if the read/write speeds are looking 'ok' - it's hard to give absolute numbers on how fast the speeds should be not knowing how old the drive is, and what kind of drive, but 20MB/s or lower would be signs that something might be misconfigured. Also watch for OS responsiveness while running the benchmark, i.e. does the HDD activity completely freeze out any other actions?

While the framerates are low - enough that I might question how old your drivers are, and where they came from (remember, you want nVidia's drivers, not the ones MS pushes via windows update), they are, sadly, about what I was seeing with my 8800GT (4-5 fps is extreme, but it was what I would hit at bad patches (eg, exiting gasworks tunnel) on the ECML route).

Of course, try switching to DirectX or OpenGL whichever you're not using, and see if that makes a difference.

Personally, I'll say that I've never seen surveyor outright freeze, other than when it's running an auto-save, not with 2006, 2010 or 12.

Freezing

3 GB RAM
Thanks.

A couple of questions;
1. Are you using a SATA II hard disk?
2. Is the 3GB of RAM DDR2 in single 1GB pieces?
3. Is this freezing on zoom affecting any and routes or just specific routes?

I up-graded my system a few days ago to the latest AMD specs;
AMD Phenom II 4 Core 3.2Ghz
8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 DRAM
Inno3D 550GTX-Ti with 1GB GDDR5
Gigabyte Motherboard
1TB SATAIII hard drive

Runs like a dream now. Previous sytem was
AMD x64 AthlonII 6000+
4GB DDR2 DRAM
nVidia 9500GT 1GB GDDR2
SATAII hard drive

The old system ran all TS12 routes reasonably well, nothing below 15 FPS. Having said that, there were a couple of big routes I tried from the DLS on both the old and new system and they brought both to their knees.

A few suggestions;
1. Get more RAM
2. Faster video card
3. See if you can run your HDD in AHCI mode. Just search on the web for how to setup windows vista or win7 AHCI. It is a fairly simple change in the Registry and BIOS.

Peter

Although I do not have 2012, I find the same thing happens in Surveyor in 2010 if the draw distance is set to a high figure in Options. I turn the draw distance down to 1500 when in Surveyor and this solved the problem. I turn it up again when in Driver.

Scottish

Could be a lot of things, but I can confirm TS2010 surveyor freezes or pauses frequently on my primary hard drive, doesn't do it as often on the new secondary drive.

26180726.jpg

There's the HDtune results, note that the slowest transfer speed for the Western Digital is close to the fastest for the Maxtor.

TS2010 still pauses sometimes on the WD, occasionally freezes completely, and does really stupid stuff like unloading baseboards and track on a new route with nothing but baseboard and track while displaying 300FPS. It's not autosave, that was the first thing I disabled, and it's not compatibility mode because I've always run in native mode. Main thing is the whole program needs a lot of horsepower to run well, starting with the hard drive - which is the biggest bottleneck in most systems because people upgrade CPU, RAM, and video cards without paying attention to where all that fast hardware needs to get the data from in the first place.

How Do You Measure FPS?

Just curious, but how exactly do you view your FPS rate? I'm running Windows XP, SP3 and a GeForce GTS250 video card. Is there something in Windows or the video card software that gives the FPS or is there some good utility you download to do this? I have some of these same issues with Surveyor but it seldom crashes. It sometimes can be very difficult to navigate in Surveyor via the mouse or to zoom in or out with lots of delay.

Just curious, but how exactly do you view your FPS rate? I'm running Windows XP, SP3 and a GeForce GTS250 video card. Is there something in Windows or the video card software that gives the FPS or is there some good utility you download to do this? I have some of these same issues with Surveyor but it seldom crashes. It sometimes can be very difficult to navigate in Surveyor via the mouse or to zoom in or out with lots of delay.

The easiest way is to run trainz in windowed mode, then the FPS is displayed in the title bar of the window.

Thanks for all the replies. The motherboard is an M2N68-AM plus and is about a month old. The hard drive - Western Digital WD1600AAJB-OOJ3AO
ATA device. Not sure how to determine if it's running in AHCI mode. According to HDtune, the minimum transfer rate was 8.9 mb/s (once, briefly), the maximum was 77.1 mb/s and average 68.3. The RAM is 2 pieces - I'm assuming a 2GB and a 1GB? There are only 2 slots. The freezing affects all routes.
I view my frame rates with a utility called FRAPS.
I'm 'computer challenged' - most of what you guys are talking about is Greek to me, so I hope your questions were answered OK.
I disabled autosave and switched from open G/L to direct X, but havn't tried it yet.
The easiest thing for me to try is installing more RAM. The guys at Robot-nik should be able to tell me what type to get.
Thanks again.

@westaussietoo

My computer has less resources than yours but is still OK. Don't forget to try turning down the draw distance.

Scottish

LOL

am I the only one here that really has a top end machine...

I'm run a 6 core Amd cpu at 4.2 gig
8 gig of corsair ram.
2 tb or hdd space 600gig being SSD hDD
GTX295 nvidia card ( a little dated now I know but still runs well)

water cooled ..

32 inch monitor for main games and 23 inch for working on...

yes my system runs TS without a problem everything full on.. I actually wish I could get higher res my system use less then 35% cpu's 45% GPU's the SSD well it really is just ticking over... LOL

I have never had an issue with TS I only have TS12 and only for a few weeks now .. but I'm keen to load it up with some great routes... I'm working on one myself however its got a long way to go...

Kind of off topic: But on 2 machines, (one being a PC, and the other a MAC), when I type words on the forum, the typing cursor suddenly backspaces all on it's own, every so often, and jumps up to the middle of a previous line of type.

Show-off

LOL

am I the only one here that really has a top end machine...

I'm run a 6 core Amd cpu at 4.2 gig
8 gig of corsair ram.
2 tb or hdd space 600gig being SSD hDD
GTX295 nvidia card ( a little dated now I know but still runs well)

water cooled ..

32 inch monitor for main games and 23 inch for working on...

yes my system runs TS without a problem everything full on.. I actually wish I could get higher res my system use less then 35% cpu's 45% GPU's the SSD well it really is just ticking over... LOL

I have never had an issue with TS I only have TS12 and only for a few weeks now .. but I'm keen to load it up with some great routes... I'm working on one myself however its got a long way to go...

ROFL.........:hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

Show off

AMD Phenom II 4 Core 3.2Ghz
8GB 1600Mhz DDR3 DRAM
Inno3D 550GTX-Ti with 1GB GDDR5
Gigabyte Motherboard
1TB SATAIII hard drive

Someone pass the popcorn along.........

Back