Is Amtrak the only passenger service train?

ish6

Since 2001
Hello Everyone,

My desert layout is vast, and it will have passenger service, of course, but I don't want Amtrak running a monopoly! LOL :hehe: --- What other passenger services are offered across the US?

I have no idea so it's why I ask you guys, who know your stuff!!!

Thanks for any feedback!

Ish

As continental passenger service went bust in the US, the government set up one Company: Amtrak

There are thousands of independent city passenger RR's, charter and tourist lines, but none are allowed to run cross country

Don't forget Utah's Frontrunner commuter service.
EDIT: After thinking about it, you could probably include Los Angeles's Metrolink, San Diego's Coaster and the Sprinter commuter services. Los Angeles and San Diego border on the Mojave Desert and the Sonora Desert. The Sprinter commuter services is unique as it uses Siemens Desiro DMU's. You could probably also Amtrak California's San Joaquin trains to Bakersfield and Pacific Surfliner trains.

Last edited:
but none are allowed to run cross country

It's not that none are allowed, its more that no one wants to; transporting passengers doesn't make money.

We do now have one interstate passenger railroad running, the Iowa Pacific-run Hoosier State. Other than that we do have quite a lot commuter railroads that are going strong.

That all being said it sounds like your not to interested in being 100% prototypical, so you could run an fictional passenger service.

peter

New Mexico Railrunner comes to mind, since you say your route is in the desert

Don't forget Utah's Frontrunner commuter service.
EDIT: After thinking about it, you could probably include Los Angeles's Metrolink, San Diego's Coaster and the Sprinter commuter services. Los Angeles and San Diego border on the Mojave Desert and the Sonora Desert. The Sprinter commuter services is unique as it uses Siemens Desiro DMU's. You could probably also Amtrak California's San Joaquin trains to Bakersfield and Pacific Surfliner trains.

Hi,

And thank you both for your feedbacks!!!

Ish

That all being said it sounds like your not to interested in being 100% prototypical, so you could run an fictional passenger service.

peter

Hi,

The idea is to have both -- My Desert route is so vast that it's divided in 4 regions ... North, South, East, and West ... I've done reskin of RS and engine using the route theme colors, which are light gray, green, and yellow, so will do this for a passenger service car, too! :)

Ish

Hi,

The idea is to have both -- My Desert route is so vast that it's divided in 4 regions ... North, South, East, and West ... I've done reskin of RS and engine using the route theme colors, which are light gray, green, and yellow, so will do this for a passenger service car, too! :)

Ish

I was going to say this. In my area the local states sponsored the famous Downeaster which runs from Boston to New Brunswick, ME. The state railroad agencies maintain the line while Amtrak runs the equipment. Now we have Amtrak lettered equipment, but it doesn't have to be that way. Suppose the states where your route is located, setup a regional passenger service and used older historic equipment. In this case, you could run a "fully restored" Union Pacific passenger train, or maybe the old Santa Fe Super Chief in all its silver-sided glory. This is what was done up in Denver with their Snow Train, which ran from the Union station up to the ski slopes. The train was made up of former DRG&W passenger cars and restored locomotives. The good news is there is talk of bringing this train back again!

So running an Amtrak through train as well as regional commuter trains, and perhaps longer-distance regionals all decked out in their old paint schemes is not out of the ordinary, besides, it gives us a chance to run these trains on our routes. :)

yes. Ten characteros. Ill have you know I graduated top of my class in the navy seals and i have over 300 confirmed kills you are nothing but another target.

Maybe we take the different company colours for granted her in GB but that John would be a brilliant and wider attractively idea!

What about UP or BNSF, what are they called...Business Trains? Or were there only executive trains? Or you could always have Good'ol #844 pull a excursion through!

Back