Irish Trainz news

rjhowie

As many will know I have completed the whole of the Northern Ireland Railway in what is poorly left of rail there. In addition also known is that I have laid track all the way south via Irish Rail to Dublin as well as the branch to Howth (still to catch up on the Navan as well). Of late I have been footering about in Dublin with all the trackage into Dublin Connolly and nearby freight lines. Track has also been put in bypassing Connolly to where Pearse Station is and beyond as far as just over the river. Last night I did track from Connolly towards Heuston Station and got as far as the tunnel near Phoenix park?

This has bogged me down a wee bit inbetween health issues but in doing all these tracks it will leave open much further extensions to the Southeast, South, West, etc for those that may want to extend even more across Ireland. The depot just north of Connolly Station is in and hopefully if I can get my idea of Dublin done by the end of February I can start working north on the scenery and stations. With the 6 Ulster lines and 3 IR routes and putting in the 3 Dublin stations in time does open up something more. Now I need to change the name of my original project as it is much, much wider now than originally. Hope this is of interest to Irish, Northern Irish and mainland rail fans!

Hello undhobbs.

I was originally only doing the NIR over in Ulster but it niggled me that I had stopped a mile or so beyond Newry in the south so did track all the way down. My next thinking was to simply upload the NIR then later do a second upload with the IR contribution. Perhaps it makes more practical sense to wait until I finish the scenery and stations to DUBLIN (Dundalk and Drogheda already in. Theh ehe senery for the Navan and Howth branches off that main line. This will take some time of course and I quickly fgured that out as it took so dashed long to complete the lengthy line from Belfast-Londonderry. Maybe spend less time on scenery perhaps although a hard one to get away from but will see. Couldn't get suitable stuff for the roof of connolly so a bit of bibs and bobs. Think I will get tracks from Connolly through to the incovenient location of Heuston and a bit of route just a bit beyond Pearse

Once this area is done then I can work back north and maybe less effort on backgrounds until I get to where the over the Border scenery stops south of Newry. All time consuming but I will rename my project from Northern Ireland railways to something wider that my previous thread and intimate it here. If you haven't been to my website do have a look In the end in the South it means that we will have an extensive thing for the island of Ireland with both NIR and IR. When done if I have felt it is enough then it means others can use my Dublin contribution as an even greater spread to wherever with the mainline stations, etc in.

Living here in Glasgow it isn't easy! Thanks for your support.

Well achieved rjhowie!!! I'm sure there's a bottle of champagne somewhere marked "Only when you've finished!!" Cant wait to see it. Speaking of Irish News I have uploaded DSER and GSR Re-skinned Engines and I'm working on more DSER, GSR, GSWR, CIE, GNR(I) Q Class and RPSI No.461 aswell as my own route in the south east.

Well that would be a change from our second national drink in Scotland - Irn Bru!

Always nice to know always that there are folk over there or wherever interested. I do know I have bitten off quite a big chew here with the Dublin lines, Howth and Navan and even more so the long gap to Newry, Good also to see what you are producing so keep up the good work Those here on Trainz that have been making Irish things will in the end be able to have a goodly bit of trackage to run it on when this distant Glaswegian completes the mountain. Having left Dublin tracks for any future extension in whatever direction will be a big help to later extenders.

Forgot to give you a link to my present NIR site as there are 6 slideshows for each of the lines completed. So have added the link here...... www.northernirelandrailwaysim.moonfruit.com

ps. This one took years and is the Glasgow Tramway closed in 1962 but not yet on the DLS!....glasgowtramsim.moonfruit.com

Irn Bru is more preferable than Coke in Scotland Isn't it? I've always liked trams, it should be good to see it on the DLS

We certainly keep that US import on the back burner. You can get Irn Bru in McDonalds here as well! The tramway is a big one as you will have seen and took me one heck of a long time with breaks to build. My Irish contribution is proving another great challenge and keen to get on beyond Dublin (and north which has been a needful restraint of course!

So far I have a rough central Dublin scenery in place and as intimated all the tracks and platforms into Connolly Station. I have extended the line through Aimiens Street a bit further beyond there. Having discovered there was a new suburban station (Docklands) on a short branch I have added that now and the two routes running west of the Dublin Connolly area. Phoenix Park tunnel is done and the tracks and platforms into Heuston Station (no roof yet)but they were so fiddly I just hope I have most of the points in the right place!

North of the tracks around Connolly and past the completed DART Depot I have the stations and scenery as far as the Howth junction station. It has been a crawl due to the Dublin suburbs rather than big blanks spaces or odd houses just stuck in. My hope is that by the end of this month the scenery along the already laid Howth Branch will be done. This will be followed by a further crawl north towards Drogheda and of course the Navan Branch. Have bit off a large addition to what was just going to be Northern Ireland Railways but hopefully I will get the 3 Irish Rail routes I am doing done and with tracks laid towards the west and south of Dublin plenty of scope for people later to expand wherever in the south of the island. However there is still an awful lot of suburban scenery to stick in to the west of Connolly but will leave that while I continue north and go back down and then and add houses to the streets laid out.Not easy from Glasgow but going to continue to act like Caesar and be ambitious. :Y:

Quite a bit of the line north from Connolly/Amiens Street (assume you are aware that they are the same place) to Howth Junction runs through cuttings, so you need only get the weeds right.

Have you contemplated taking the route south over the Liffey through Tara Street to Pearse/Westland Row? The building detail will probably do your head in, but the viaduct is very nice though not as convoluted as the London equivalent (Thames Link).

Look forward to driving this route, sure to be impressive.

Thanks for replies. I did know about the cutting towards Howth Junction and have much of it with greenery as that is how it is in reality. It takes an awful long time to put all the streets in place and even with the odd error a big task scenery-wise. Also aware i made a name mistake regarding Amiens Street as it is the old name! Have the embankment in place and the line continues over the water for a short distance before stops. As for Heuston it is only one small area amongst a mass of close point work there may be a very small error but the trackage is all there. Essentially all the central Dublin rail is down and means that in the end all tracks out of Dublin ripe for further expansion south and west. As I work north I will still go back occasionally and stick more scenery in central and west Dublin, etc.

It does slow me up and have hundred of houses to plonk down and in general terms want Howth Junction and the backgrounds from there to Howth hopefully mostly done by end of April so I can get back to working towards Drogheda. On My NI Railway website I have 6 slide shows for each of the routes but not adding the IRail layout until finished as I did with them. However what I might think of doing is get round to a purely temporary link to show how things are going on the 3 IR lines and Dublin area.

Have now reached Sutton Station on the Howth Branch and all going well may have the scenery to the Howth terminus done within a week. Then I can switch back to the main line and do scenery towards Drogheda. Although i have some Dublin City scenery in I have nothing west to Heuston and will try my plan to occasionally break from heading north to do bits and pieces.

Hi,

I really must get round to some self-discipling edmundhobbs on shots! It took me ages to do thewhole of N. Ireland railways due to my scenery doings and when I mused on going south thought I was pushing the boat out building-wise. There are parts of Dublin I have to get back to on that scoreespecially the DART beyond Connolly and the tracks I hae to the west of the city and Heuston Station, etc. There is a bit at Connolly I am unsure of and have only a part roof in due to not finding something suitable. However I will get round to doing something to let folk see what is going on. I can include that Connolly area and north to Howth Junction then what has been reached on the rest of the Howth Branch. Have been kind of battering away at that when I can so I can get back to the mainline north. Beyond Howth Junction there is no scenery yet until cross border and the NIR/Newry. My website has 6 slide shows for each of the NIR routes (including the presently mothballed Crumlin route) so will give you an idea what is being attempted. (www.northernirelandrailwaysim.moonfruit.com)

At last, at last!

I have now managed to complete the first of my 3 Irish Rail routes. Dublin (Connolly) has now been completed and it took ages due to the number of raods, houses and scenery. Although in faraway Glasgow I wanted things to have some idea of looking like the line. As for Dublin, I still have scenery to stick in between Connolly and Heuston Stations. Now I can continue north to Drogheda then Dundalk and to meet my done NIR lines over the Border. With the Navan Line added eventually we will have 9 lines of the island between the NIR and IR. When continuing on the main line I will as said keep fltting back and adding bits to the Dublin scenery.

What I must now do is to give you some pictures next of this part I have finished. Maybe I spent too long on scenery but anyway I will mesage here when pictures od Dublin - Howth are available.

Hi Edmund,

Must get round to that this weekend! I stil have much scenery to get in regardnig the city itself but from Connolly to Howth I have filled all the background stuff so will hopefully give a good impression. Then it will be back to Howth Junction and slowly work north. My NI Railway system is all done scenery-wise and now the long haul back up towards Drogheda, Dundalk to Newry not forgetting the Navan of course. As i indicated having all the Dublin central tracks down gives further extensions to wherever at a later date of course. I have come an awful long way from my original project of the NIR and that was a mountain and now I am succumbing to even more ambition! Still to stick in signals for the DART route but will get to pictures as soon as and intimate here shortly.

Back