International Paper Mill - My First Creation

UP9018

I am building my own shortline based on a map by Fishlipsatwork from Durant, OK to Valliant, OK. More on that in another thread at a later date. One of the main industries is he International Paper Mill in Valliant, OK. Originally my plan was to toss some existing buildings together and call it good. But I decided to venture into the world of content creation.

I used Google Earth to get building measurements and locations. Afterwards, I used Google Sketchup to create one big group of blocks to represent the main buildings of the mill. Needless to say the Tiger Lines for the mill were a bit off. Now that I know where the buildings go, I can put the tracks in the proper place.

Each building will be individually modeled. Once it is done I will 'knock down' the block version and replace it. Each building's footprint and location is correct based on measurements from Google Earth, however the height will be a guesstimation. I also don't plan on this being a dead on accurate model, mostly due to the lack of material. So I am going to build a good representation of the facility that would be believable.

Below is the blocked locations of the main building, to get an idea of the size of the structure, those are 5 of JR's 50' High Cube boxcars along side it.

up9018_20121030_0000.jpg

More updates to come as I make progress. I am new to this, so any suggestions or advice would be helpful.

Chris

Similar to creating cardboard mock ups for buildings on a real model train layout, well done!

I have started to construct the individual buildings, setting their final shape and size. Everything from the big white building in the center to the right is one of those buildings. I haven't done to much in the way of textures or details yet, that will come once all of the building have been broke down into manageable components. I have set the rail door locations, so the tracks can be put in place.

up9018_20121109_0001.jpg

More to come, Chris

I have completed the track work to the first 4 buildings, been using Google Earth for measurements to get somewhat close. For size representation purposes, I placed the cars on the tracks as you can see then in GE (forgot to close my menu bar, oops).

up9018_20121113_0000.jpg

I have also been placing the tanks in their locations, more on that later.

up9018_20121113_0001.jpg

More to come, Chris

Tonight I blocked in the buildings and conveyors in the rear (the white ones) I also added the tank car tracks in the middle of the picture. Only have the two gray building in the middle to individualize, and also need to finish dropping in the basic tanks. After that it will be on to the daunting task of detailing these structures and adding the MILES of piping in this place.
up9018_20121114_0000.jpg

This in only half of the complex too, after this I need to make the wood processing area.

More to come, Chris

Just a fair heads up question.

After making the buildings in Sketchup, did you convert it to something like Blender or 3DS Max?

Sketchup, although great (Great even in my opinion), has a very nasty habit of creating lots of polygons - LOTS. Although, yes, your buildings are simple in design, I would highly suggest you check the polygons before peoples FPS suddenly drops dead. Circles and Cylinders are often the worst and can easily be fixed in Blender or 3DS Max. Some people have imported things as simple as a lamp post - only to discover its made of over 5000 freakin polygons.

-----

On a POSITIVE note:

Your mill is looking really awesome! You seem to be spending alot of time getting measurements off Google Earth for your route, which I am sure will pay off at the end when your finished with the route.

Phil,

Thanks for the tips. Yes I am planning on converting these to a blender program, I was just using Sketchup to get the buildings made. Right now, they are just in basic form and are a long ways from being complete. The final buildings will be detailed and will look much better in the way of colors and textures (I hope)

This seems like it will be a LONG term project, as this place is HUGE and there is a lot of stuff going on in it. It even has it's own yard!

Chris

Today I worked on finishing up the tracks. Here is the woodchip unloading area. The unloaders will be located toward the rear of the photo. For scale, I included 5 woodchip cars.

up9018_20121116_0000.jpg

This is the entrance area to the mill. Off to the left is the mill itself, to the right is the mill's yard. The mill also has it's own engine shed and car repair facility, located center of this photo
up9018_20121116_0001.jpg

Here is the yard dedicated to the mill. It is amazing how much traffic this place generates for a shortline

up9018_20121116_0002.jpg

More to come, Chris

I have taken a pause on the buildings while I learn Blender. I may either transfer to rebuild what I have in that program (if I figure it out) to avoid the poly problem that comes with using Google Sketchup. In the mean time, I have started working on the surrounding area. Here is what I have done on the North end of the mill complex.

up9018_20121125_0000.jpg

More to come....Chris

Here is my administration building. I still want to figure out nite mode and need to improve the textures a little. The building follows the footprint and general arrangement of the prototype, but since there are no photos I can find, the details of the building are freelanced. Hope you Enjoy - Chris

IPM-Bldg-Admin.jpg

Here are the administration buildings set in their locations. Working on the big parking lot out back. These buildings are about 75% done, still need better textures, nite lighting and a few details. This will be a long term project for sure.

Enjoy....Chris
up9018_20121130_0001.jpg

Back