Intermodal Birth

applegathc

NoT tHe StAtUeS!
When did the first intermodal freight come about? Was TTX the first intermodal company? Were there companies before TTX? Was it TT when the company started or TTX?

There. Those are my TTX birth questions.:cool:

Google will reveal much.

Two bones:

TTX was not TTX until 1991, when it was renamed from the Trailer Train Company.

Intermodal transportation goes back to the 18th century and predates the railways. Some of the earliest containers were those used for coal shipping on the Bridgewater Canal in England in the 1780s. Coal containers (called 'loose boxes') were soon deployed on the early railways and used for road/rail transfers (road at the time being horse drawn).

There's a PDF download you could buy here:
http://kalmbachcatalog.stores.yahoo.net/trpdf003.html

There used to be a book called The Model Railroader's Guide to Intermodal Equipment and Operations, I have it but cannot find it in the Kalmbach store. Maybe you could find one online or ask your model railroad shop if they could get it for you. Has some history on Intermodal trains including that TT was formed in 1955 by the PRR, N&W and Rail-Trailer, lists what years other railroads joined, details reporting marks on trailers and railcars, trailer hitch designs, wellcar manufacturers, lots of nice pictures and plans for small N-scale container port and HO-scale piggyback yard.

The first major intermodal operations were conducted by the White Pass & Yukon Route up in Alaska. They were the first ones to refit a ship specifically for containers. Their trains also were specifically designed for containers.

TTX didn't come along until later.

I believe the Chicago Great Western Railroad started experimenting with TOFC operations as early as 1936.

The concept took off in the 1950s, when some of the major railroads in the US and Canada started doing it.

Hah, some of you guys got it, but you forgot the biggest part: Circus Trains.
As early as 1870s, Circus trains began to load their wagons onto flatcars for transport over long distances, these were known as some of the first Intermodal Purposes.
Of course, other implementations were done before this, but with the Circus Trains, it became a widespread.
Sean

Cool

Hah, some of you guys got it, but you forgot the biggest part: Circus Trains.
As early as 1870s, Circus trains began to load their wagons onto flatcars for transport over long distances, these were known as some of the first Intermodal Purposes.
Of course, other implementations were done before this, but with the Circus Trains, it became a widespread.
Sean

Now that's cool. That makes sense. Thanks for the answers everybody!

It's just when I see a stack train or CP Express TOFC train, I wonder, "where did this come from?"

Regards,
Cameron

as a concept, well the idea of moving prepackaged, in containers that formed a major part of the vehicule transporting them, i believe, yes, that goes back to probably the earliest times of mechanical, even beast of burden and waterway transportation.

what i remember personally, growing up in the 1950's, where trailers, 25, 35, 40 footers later on, usually one each, on a 50' flatcar that was fitted with an ajustable fifth wheel and trailer wheel guides. this was on the southern pacific in the sierras in california, which is where i was living then (and next to there again now). this was really a lot more common then was as yet at that time represented in models and toys. and those to did represent it, didn't look very much like the real thing i was seeing at the time. TrailerTrain and the TTX logo came along some time in the 60s, with the advent of narrow, lighter weight then standard flatcars, of passenger car length, and capable of carrying two 40 foot trailers, these cares being between 85 and 89 feet in lengthe. that was of course when intermodal, meaning in that context and era 'pig-flats' as they were nicknamed, really took off, as a marketing way for railroads to compete with highways. then came the autoracks i remember, moving new automobiles on this multi-deck carriers, that were at first, based on the same fraime, under car really, as the pig-flats. then too many kids liked to throw rocks to break the windows on the new cars going by so they had to put sides on them. before this time, automobles had been moved stacked somewhat wierdly, in 50ft boxcars. well then along about that time, mid 60s, and i'm just talking where i am, in the western part of the u.s., over the sierras in californa, then we started to see, why ship the trailler wheels, unneccessary tare load, when they truck body could be rewheeled at the other end. and then there was the idea of these wheelless truck bodies on international shipping on the ocean, and then there was this standarization of that, called the i.s.o., international standards organization, and we started seeing this standardization of shipping containers as to form factor, or at least dimention of where the corners would be, so they could be stacked and all sorts of things. parallel of course were developments in the rest of the world. TTX was in the middle of that, on the railroads in the us, but neither the beginning nor ever the whole enchilada. this was all still in the 60s too.

then in the 70s we started to see traditional freight car makers get into the game, and this led to double stacks and articulated, multi-bottom cofc and tofc, and the european influence, at least in concept, of a four wheel car, the front runner, the concept again to reduce tare weight.

so the problem with pinning down a biggining is with defining where you want to begin at. trailer train WAS the biggest single name in the thick of development in the u.s. in the 60s, and of course in its evolving form, continued to be a major player for decades, but nothing really STARTED with them. even, i think the southern pacific, and possibly other railroads, had or were in the proccess of developing, their own, longer then 50ft flat cars dedicated to and designed specifially for, tofc and later cofc service, as early, if not slightly earlier, then the advent of TrailerTrain as a company. a major player, a major contributer, but not the beggining nor end of the story.

Back