I should know, but I dont....ummm?

daninmky

Ok straight up "BIG THANKS" to all the creators, if it were'nt for you this joyable piece of software would have died ages ago.
Right that's the niceties out of the way I guess its time to annoy heh. Ive been getting each edition since UTC 1st hit the shelves so I have a pretty good idea on how to get most things done.......until now.
Ive finally had enough with simply DL layouts/sessions, I wanna have a crack at the real stuff.
HEY DONT HIT THE BACK BUTTON YET, bear with me my questions wont be that bad.......I think.

Q1. I want to reskin the rolling stock and loco's that I use on the fictional layout that I am modifying, but after reading a heap of different forum posts I have been left confused and unsure of which with what when where and why???. Please can someone point me to the best tutorial for this. I use CS3 ( no worries there ) for all artwork if this helps, also are there any places that have the unpainted skins other than the ones I already have of course ( just unsure how to use em......?).

Q2. When I installed 2009 I had all versions of Trainz (except for Driver, never seen it on the shelf) on my hardrive. I then used CM2 to Import Content from the Auran folder on my HD. After this I uninstalled all versions of Trainz except for 2009. Was this a waste of time or was this the right thing to do.

Q3. I have no internet connection STOP LAUGHING YOU GUYS........ya's finished?........can I continue now?....... right as I was saying, I currently download from the shop next door who has been kind enough to let me use there PC/Net when ever I need it (like now) so I download via FTP, save it to pen then use CM2 to install CDP's. Because I have to make sure I get all dependant assets this can take a long time if I choose to get a new layout ( I install the layout 1st to find what Kuids I need ). I am wondering if there is a quicker way to do this rather than continually waitng and clicking and clicking each screen. I have seen the FTP thing at the bottom of the screen on the DL Station but I am unsure what this will do to the computer I use and my download tasks. Yep Yep Yep I have a 1st class ticket subscription.
I know DL Helper is there but if I install 2009 on their PC and Copy the folder it will change all my layouts etc when I Paste the folder to my PC..........."I said the questions werent bad, didnt say a thing about not confusing ya's".

Q4. I have a tonne of Active Industry's from Lars etc but for some reason I have the weird inability to be happy with them, I want to modify a few to produce some extra materials i.e Bulk Overhead Loader from IBIZ is a great scenery item but needs some products added i.e Ballast Products instead of Balast Gris which has less rolling stock support. I would also like to modify the rolling stock I use so I can use them with the Lars Interchange, its unrealistic when a car turns up with material that isnt on your layout. Is there a tutorial on how to do this out there, does Lars have a Lars For Dummies Manual?? or a website?.

Q5. How do I stop track from changing into the used piece of track i.e I want to use a mix of U.S Wood and U.S Wood Damp but when I join in it jumps to the main choice. I am also having the same problem with Replace Assets where it is replacing huge chunks of line even with the current choice button selected. Is there something I am missing, or am I doing it all wrong.

Q6. Eventually I want to place locos/rolling stock in repair and disused positions (scenery items) as well use dead engine loco's for senarios, is there anywhere on the net that shows you how to remove/rewrite the scripts for this. I use the unpowered NSWGR48 but would like to mix it up. I could open up the script and see how they did it but that brings me to my next question.

Q7. WHERE THE *&^# is that thing????. Ok I have tried to work out a way to navigate the Local/Hash folders to find what I'm looking for but after 20 folders I always give up. Is there a way to find what i am looking for i.e the unpowered NSWGR48 folder so I can read the script and see how they have done this...... **Forehead Slap** this can be done in CCP cant it? Still an answer to navigating to TGA files etc would be a big help.

Q8. Other than Content Manager2, Content Creator Plus, CS3 and GMax is there any other software programs that i should have installed on my PC. #Note TGA2 Tool messed up my Text Engine in CS3- I know this because It did not work until I deleted TGA folder from my HD#

Q9. Content Creator Plus will not let me create new content due to it not being registered online from my computer, when I try to type in the box that requests my id number I cant seem to get the box to activate i.e. I cant type in the box. Is there a way of telling CCP that I am registered on planet Auran without having my PC hooked to the Net.

Q10. I have a number of Kuid errors but mostly I keep seeing Icon0 etc is Obsolete. And No Support for LOD ( I think) etc. What are these and is it possible to fix them. Im starting to think that Icon0, 1, 2, 3 etc has something to do with updated versions of that Kuid etc.

Q11. SW1500....made by a Ben (sorry not near my PC) , I cant find it as I understand that it is an external download. But the site is down that hosted it, can someone help me with this.

Q12. Creators rights, do i have to contact the original creator if i am using it for my own use i.e not uploading it to the DL Station. I understand that I have to for public use and I will probably contact all creators out of respect for there artwork but an answer on this would be good for my own knowledge.

Q13. Are there any places that focus on mining content/layouts. I have Muskie and Koni's great range of machinery including spreader etc but Id love to find a site with the same interests as mine. If you know of any good earthmoving Kuids or groups PLEASE let me know.

I appologise for the number of questions that i have but these are the main ones that have been bugging me for a few weeks now since changing over to creating layouts etc, thanks to anyone that can help me out with any of these I really appreciate your time and help.
Regards
Daninmky Australia

daninmky

Question 7

Stay away from the Local folder, that is off limits. Use CM2 to find the NSWGR48 folder and Open for edit. It helps if you know the KUID, but CM2 has better search facilities than CMP and will try to find whatever you place in the top box in Search.

Try typing in
"NSW GR 48". "NSW GR" by itself will get 326 assets listed. Spaces are important

Question 5

If you only select one track in Replace, it will only change that one, select more and it will change them all.

Question 3

If you can use/work CM2 on the machine next door, download what you need and use CM2 to creare a new CDP to transfer to your machine via a CD. This will have no effect on your current routes.

Question 12

Whatever you do in the privacy of your own home is nobodies business, just make sure that you don't include anything you have modified in a route you want to upload. Some creators do not like to see their reskinned work in screenshots so keep that in mind.

Question 2

I would have kept all of them, when 2009 gives me problems, it is good to go back and find that the previous versions were worse, especially CMP. However you have lost nothing by deleting them.

Question 10

If you are getting warnings you can ignore them, that is all they are, just warnings. There is discussion about making warnings optional as they are intended for guiding creators, not users. Errors need fixing as they may prevent the affected asset appearing in Trainz.

Peter

Last edited:
Hi Daninmky,

I am a little rusty on this one, but for question 3 I am sure you can use a "utility" program called TrainzAgent. This program basically uses the FTP process but it will also find any dependencies for a Loco, Layout etc. I use it all the time and have for many years without any problems. While the program can help with installing content, you can just by-pass this process and save the CDP's to a location of your choice ... a CD/DVD in this case ..... and then transfer the CDP's to your own computer. This would save having anything from 2009 installed on the other computer.

A search on the forum will help you with TrainzAgent, but another member I know who has more knowledge on it is "Dinorius_Redundicus". Search for him and maybe send an email or PM him using the forum. I am very sure he will help you out.

Hope this helps.

Craig
:):):)

thanks for the help guys, much appreciated.
But does anyone know of any good tutorials for reskinning etc? the ones i have all relate 2004 with paint shed etc.

Thx John
I try to read as much as possible on the wiki and content creation has been a big help. Can anyone help out with this one?

Q13. Are there any places that focus on mining content/layouts. I have Muskie and Koni's great range of machinery including spreader etc but Id love to find a site with the same interests as mine. If you know of any good earthmoving Kuids or groups PLEASE let me know.

thx

Back