How to proceed to learn how many polys has an asset ?

The first attempt might be to look in the CM under right click 'View Mesh Technical Details'. And there look for the number of Textures and their size. The more textures are involved the more it indicates a lesser performance.

For reasons I do not understand this function does not work in all my CM, it is almost always greyed out and if not it shows everything at zero. A question to Auran results in a clear answer, none!

But be aware, that one material can include several bitmaps (diffuse map, normals map, specular map, etc.). So if you want to investigate more precise you have to open it for editing (always close with 'Revert to Original'). There you can look with a viewer like XnShell quite fast what is inside the bitmaps. If you have several bitmaps of equal content but very different color ranges, you can assume, that they are different maps of one material. If all bitmaps differ already by their content, than you might have a performance unfriendly asset.

Mick!

The first attempt might be to look in the CM under right click 'View Mesh Technical Details'. And there look for the number of Textures and their size. The more textures are involved the more it indicates a lesser performance.

For reasons I do not understand this function does not work in all my CM, it is almost always greyed out and if not it shows everything at zero. A question to Auran results in a clear answer, none!

But be aware, that one material can include several bitmaps (diffuse map, normals map, specular map, etc.). So if you want to investigate more precise you have to open it for editing (always close with 'Revert to Original'). There you can look with a viewer like XnShell quite fast what is inside the bitmaps. If you have several bitmaps of equal content but very different color ranges, you can assume, that they are different maps of one material. If all bitmaps differ already by their content, than you might have a performance unfriendly asset.

Mick!

Which is why I thought it better to avoid the subject for a beginner.

Cheerio John

"View Mesh Technical Details" - even when it does work - can be quite misleading for the purposes of judging asset efficiency. It simply reports the sum of all meshes and all textures in the asset's folders. If the asset has LOD or is seasonal, this can add up to a large number, but in the game, only one LOD or one season is actually displayed at a given time or viewing distance.

If a user really wants to analyse an asset for both mesh and texture details, the best tools are;

PEV's Mesh Viewer - open a mesh, right-click on it, choose Mesh Data for polycount or Locate Textures to scroll through the different textures used.

AssetX - highlight a mesh file, click i symbol for polycount or the Texture List symbol for the textures (this symbol looks like a grid).

Last edited:
I did not think that this issue could be so complicated, because I saw that several makers of assets and routes analyzed the behavior of these depending on the assets they used. So I felt it necessary to take care that detail before submitting a route on the DLS.

It is an interesting topic worth studying.

I thank all those who respond to this post, as I'm learning a lot and I think fans also will interest them. Thank you.

I'm following the steps recommended for Auran to learn how to create assets and I have loaded the "3DS Max 2012". Now it's time to study and learn ...

Regards

John

I do not understand, why this discussion is still about polygons.

A four sided plane consists always of to polygons (better named as triangles). These polygons can be defined either by six or four vertices. What would you believe has the better performance, the one with six or the one with four vertices, even they have the same number of polygons/triangles?

In your answer keep in mind, that every vertex, which is not welded to its neighbor and therefore can not profit from indexed drawing has to pass the vertex shader process at the gpu...

I tried to explain the contiguity (even in a very simplified way) here http://forums.auran.com/trainz/entr...get-rid-of-a-Polyphobia-(english-translation)

Mick!

Edit: To come back to the initial question of this thread, don't look for the number of polygons/triangles, but for the number of materials used by an asset. This tells way more about the performance impact.

Hello Mick. I appreciate your explanation and especially what you post on the website that you point. I'm trying to learn everything I can. Although this complicated issue now I see, I used a lot to get in and learn faster.

I'm still trying to run the soft "XnShell". I hope to do soon.

Regards

John

"View Mesh Technical Details" - even when it does work - can be quite misleading for the purposes of judging asset efficiency. It simply reports the sum of all meshes and all textures in the asset's folders. If the asset has LOD or is seasonal, this can add up to a large number, but in the game, only one LOD or one season is actually displayed at a given time or viewing distance.

If a user really wants to analyse an asset for both mesh and texture details, the best tools are;

PEV's Mesh Viewer - open a mesh, right-click on it, choose Mesh Data for polycount or Locate Textures to scroll through the different textures used.

AssetX - highlight a mesh file, click i symbol for polycount or the Texture List symbol for the textures (this symbol looks like a grid).

Hi Dinorius_Redundicus. Finally I was able to successfully do what you suggested. I am very grateful because I now have a clear path to move forward and keep learning more and more. Your explanation was very clear and concise and I found it really useful. Thank you very much.

Regards

John

Back