How do you "straighten road"?

CRQ4125

I've seen it done in routes, but I have no idea how. It's like the straighten track option, but I can't seem to find it under the spline menu. I want to have a nice smooth curve.

Use the 'straighten' button on track flyout. There is only one straighten tool, it works on any spline....

After laying the road, go to the Track tab and use the straighten tool there. It works on roads (all splines really) the same way it works for tracks.

It's certainly high time that the spline tab had it's own copy of the Straighten button. Waiting for tabs to open is a frustrating experience sometimes. I think the whole interface needs re-designing with a view to minimising the number of clicks and waiting required.

Agreed. There are buttons on the 'advanced' tab that get used every Surveyor session, and buttons on the 'standard' tab that I never touch. Frequency of use would be a better basis for separation: get height, apply height, get grade, apply grade, smooth spline etc are not 'advanced', they are Surveyor 101....

Use the 'straighten' button on track flyout. There is only one straighten tool, it works on any spline....
Wow, really?
I didn't even bother trying that and always wondered why they didn't add it to the splines.
This is going to help SO much in removing those weird bends in roads.

Wow, really?
I didn't even bother trying that and always wondered why they didn't add it to the splines.
This is going to help SO much in removing those weird bends in roads.

Hope you don't try to create a right angled fence with the straighten tool. To create this, just hold down the Shift key while laying fences (or any spline or track) to keep them from joining.

Dave

Never too old to learn something...

Didn't know of this option to do the same thing with roads.
Pffff... all that work I had to make it right by hand.

:)

Hope you don't try to create a right angled fence with the straighten tool. To create this, just hold down the Shift key while laying fences (or any spline or track) to keep them from joining.

Dave

The alternative to this is to cut the spline at the spline joint after placing everything down. This is great for fences going around things.

John

Back