How can I download my Trainz Driver purchase?

jmr1068204

I purchased Trainz Driver online as a $12.99 download from auran. However, I can't seem to get the ENTIRE download before the thing times out or something crazy happens. Because it is an FTP server, it doesn't seem to support a 'resume' feature.

What email address can I write to, to get my money refunded? I'm in the United States, and the only things I see 'contact' links for are for other programs that aren't Trainz Driver. I don't see anything where I can contact someone about my Trainz Driver purchase, and they seem to be branched off and handled differently communication-wise, for each program and payment. I'm not paying for the thing if I can't even download it, and I think it is ridiculous that the FTP site blocks download accelerator programs that use multiple strings to make it faster. On my DSL connection, it quotes around 5 to 6 hours. The file size is a little over 1.5GB. Any suggestions?

Okay, so I found a program (GetRight) that allowed the 'resume' function on the program end, since the server end doesn't support it. It took about 8 hours to download the 1.5GB. Previously, I had purchased a $4.99 version at a Circuit City retail store. The issue? It didn't say on the package that it was a 'demo.' This 1.5GB program is also a 'demo' with the exact same things as on the $4.99 cd version. What am I missing here? The online version doesn't indicate that it is a 'demo,' either...and costs over twice as much at $12.99.

Okay, so I found a program (GetRight) that allowed the 'resume' function on the program end, since the server end doesn't support it. It took about 8 hours to download the 1.5GB. Previously, I had purchased a $4.99 version at a Circuit City retail store. The issue? It didn't say on the package that it was a 'demo.' This 1.5GB program is also a 'demo' with the exact same things as on the $4.99 cd version. What am I missing here? The online version doesn't indicate that it is a 'demo,' either...and costs over twice as much at $12.99.

I am assuming you are referring to "Trainz Driver" as being the demo. What you have purchased is a scaled down driver only version which only allows to drive the routes and scenarios provided with the disk. It does not state anywhere that it is a "demo" version.

Auran chose to produce Trainz in several different formats for different audiences. Some want to create their own layouts or modify existing ones while others just want to get on and drive a locomotive and perform some passenger or cargo tasks.

To create or modify layouts and scenarios you need the full versions such as Trainz (the original), UTC (Ultimate Trainz Collection), Trainz 2004 or Trainz 2006. The newer releases called Trainz Classics will allow you to create your own layouts and modify the supplied route with it's associated scenarios (sessions) but most find them limited without older built-in content from 2004/2006. TC3 has the best game engine to date but only has UK content.

Trainz Driver does not have the surveyor module so you can not create or modify routes.

Trainz 2009 is still in production and currently sounds like it will be first released as a developers build and then will have a separate "drivers" edition for those who just want to drive existing routes.

Hope this helps explain what it is you have.

Brian

The Trainz Driver website says:

KEY FEATURES
- Real-world locomotives
- 21 interactive scenarios
- Driver Mode with ready-to-drive routes
- Railyard Mode featuring passenger and freight operations
- Comprehensive driving tutorials

so what else was expected? Not only does it do what it says on the box, it does what it says in the name!
If you purchase a cheap version of a program do you expect all the features in the more expensive version? Odd in the least!

Downloading large files without a broadband connection has been a problem forever, surely most computer users are aware of this?

Back