how big are your railways/railroads

benno93

On average how many times du u extend or how long does it take to get through your layout.

For i dont have much ptience so about 10mins.

Jon

My route is about 89 miles long from end-to-end and takes about 2 hours of running with stops on a passenger run. This doesn't count any branch lines that are connected as well. The branches vary between 20 to 35 minutes each.

So having said this, I will pick whatever type of drive/ride I want. If I want to go for a quick spin, I'll choose the 20-minute run. If I want a longer run, I'll go out on the mainline and drive from end-to-end.

I extended my route probably 4 times. My route is a combination of my own creation, some of the work of others, and some modified DEMs. The route represents a regional railroad in eastern New England. I've placed the names of real places, but moved them around a bit to suit my needs.

John

My longest sucessful effort is the route I uploaded for the route competition I started a few months ago (I have to admit I hope that the official Auran competition works better than mine did). Because it uses tramcars it isn't actually that long, but a round-trip takes just over 30min, which is extended if there are more than about four trams running (the system is designed to run with 8 trams max, but it only takes one tram to miss its ETA and the token system breaks down - 6 is a good number to have going) Also featured on the route is a small branch line comprising two stations and a run-round loop at each end. The trains on there take longer to run round and take water than between the stations!

Trouble is that after a few boards, typically around 8-10, I lose interest and start something anew. On the previously mentioned tramway I was planning on building a 10 1/4 " miniture railway, but that never worked properly so I scrapped it to meet the deadline.

BidMod.

Nice idea for a thread Jon..

My 2 favourite long routes are Feather River which takes about 4 hours and Death Valley Line which takes about 3 hours. Both at track speed, with no stops, just pure freight layouts....I have enough time to do myself a few cups of tea and a couple of bacon butties, and just watch the trains rolling along....VERY RELAXING..:hehe:

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

I like a route that takes a couple of hours to run a session. My routes are generally about 40 miles and sessions can take 2 - 3 hours depending on how efficient I am working the session.

My routes will typically take well over a period of a month. After that I usually end up getting bored of it and start making a new route. :':)p

Ok, nobody laugh, but I have been building the same route for the past 3 years. It will probably be another year before I am finished building it and it will be ready to download.

It is about 300 baseboards and about 80 miles long. How long would it take to go the full route? Probably several hours, I have not run the full distance yet. (i'm spending all my time building the darn thing!)

I would never laugh. I stand in awe and salute you. I don't believe that I would have enough patience to work 3 - 4 years on a route. I'll usually work on one 5 or 6 days per week for about 2 or 3 months and then I'm ready to move on to something else.

Ha! That sounds way too much like me.
Actually I'm building several unfinished layouts. My magnum opus is a continuous loop of grey terrain and stations with some of the track. Two years old and still lost to distractions. I expect to have 6 or 7 lines interacting when it's finally done.
If I ever actually start.

For size, I like long winding mouintain lines for watching the world go by, and short model layouts for actual operation. My smallest only takes a few minutes to go around completely. The biggest so far takes over an hour. My current project takes about 50 minutes if I stop at all the stations. I should be more diligent with that one, but again, distractions keep popping up.:confused:

:cool: Claude

If you like those long mountain routes, you might try my Ashland Central V2 or Sherwood Mtn RR routes.
Mike

For some reason and in general, I loathe US railroads, but having said that I have become attached to Montana Rail Link, just over 200 miles and takes 5½ hours end to end, a now defunct route from east of Billings through to 25 miles west of Helena.

Maria's pass being the Northern route, Billings-Helena was the Southern route in Montana, and now local officials are trying to re-open it to passenger traffic.

Chris

Don't Have Any Idea.....

I am working for the last year on a integrated steel mill route. Steel mills have all kinds of switching activites. And since I like to do "everything" I have yet to complete it. Further, I like to add to the route and fix things as I go. When you fix or add something you have to start over.

One good result of having a long route ( more than eight hours of play) is I have modified the route for night mode. I put lighting in some of the buildings which has neat effects as well as street lights and nite mode buildings. I have lots to do at night.

How long? Don't have any idea.... But I am having a good time.:)

The current project I'm working on will be around 110 miles. If I can trim and optimise the sections enough to fit the (zipped - cdp) 50Mb DLS limit I might get it up to around 140 miles. The total distance I would really like to get in there for logical traffic flow is around 170 miles, but I doubt that would compress to the DLS limit.

Ft Dodge Des Moines & Southern

I like modeling prototype railroads, but taking some freedom with them. I am working on the Ft Dodge Des Moines & Southern Railway with 86 miles of mainline track, 4 multi town branch lines of about 100 miles and three branch lines to coal mines of about 25 miles. I am creating the transition period between 1910 and 1915. Most of the line was electricified between 1907 and 1910 with Interurban passenger service. Steam was used for freight operations until 1911 and on one branch untill it was abondond. One of the branch lines was acquired in 1912, I am including all of the branchlines and running steam for freight. Although The Fort Dodge Line was thought of as in Interurban road, its freight operations were quite extensive, They had more freightcars per mile of track than any other railroad in Iowa. Since I like lots of switching, this road really works for me. I am planning continious operations - 24 hrs in real time. Of course I will be using the Pause button from time to time . . .

Dap

The current project I'm working on will be around 110 miles. If I can trim and optimise the sections enough to fit the (zipped - cdp) 50Mb DLS limit I might get it up to around 140 miles. The total distance I would really like to get in there for logical traffic flow is around 170 miles, but I doubt that would compress to the DLS limit.

I thought the DLS limit was 20Mb?!:eek:

Rugrat:p

I think its 50Mb but unlimited for personal use

I thought the DLS limit was 20Mb?!:eek:

Rugrat:p

I think its 50Mb but unlimited routes created for personal use (not uploaded to DLS). I recall seeing somewhere on this forum or the old forum that the absolute limit for a route is 1 Gb. Maybe someone could verify that.

I think its 50Mb but unlimited routes created for personal use (not uploaded to DLS). I recall seeing somewhere on this forum or the old forum that the absolute limit for a route is 1 Gb. Maybe someone could verify that.

I've found that dispatcher files get unstable at around 1GB, which could possibly be what you are referring to. Certainly the Archive files don't work if they're bigger.

BidMod
(who wished he could get a route 20MB big without losing patience, let alone a GIG!!!)

The "official" cdp file limit certainly was 20Mb a couple of years ago and I had to get special permission from Auran to upload the Stranraer route which was about 24Mb. However, when I went to upload my latest Mallaig route the file manager in Planet Auran now says the maximum individual file size is 50Mb, so they do seem to have changed the limit to encourage longer more prototype routes.

Back