Helpdesk response?

sprinterASC

Didn't know where to post this so I'll try here.

What is an acceptable level of response from Helpdesk? I currently have 2 tickets open, one hadn't had any response from anyone in support since the 28th January and I posted in it on the 5th Feb that that ticket could be closed - still nothing. My other ticket is to do with download permissions and my lack of them and that has been open since the 5th of Feb, again with no response.

I have no idea how to escalate these things as my time back to trains has been disappointing due to these continual hurdles at running the apps. I do not want to go off to a govt dept to complain, this is my first stop after waiting for helpdesk to fix my issues.

Any suggestions on how to grab their attention would be appreciated.

Were the helpdesk tickets for TRS2006 (the only version you have registered)? In which case support for that program has ended.

Hi

Nope, TS 2 Mac. I have UTC, 2004, 2006, TS2 Mac and TS12 registered along with Murchison and some DLC's I got with TS12. My problem is no permission on downloads and neither TS12 or TS2 Mac can download everything needed.

I can see where you thought I only have 2006, my little tag line thingo hasn't updated and I have no idea where to update it myself.

Cheers

Up the top click on MyTrainz
then left hand side serial numbers

once the serial numbers are entered for the products you have that will clear up your download problems

Thanks but that was already done a while ago. *All* serial numbers are listed in that area already which I why I do not understand what the problem is. If I could attach a screen shot here I would show what I have listed there.

Thanks for the input. Just checked to see if every username I have ever come up with is attached to Trainz in some way and nothing worked aside from my current username.

I do not want to go off to a govt dept to complain....
You are kidding right? You would go to a Govt department to complain that you haven't had a response from an online helpdesk in what you consider an acceptable period of time?

Nope, I paid for a number of products that I am unable to use due to problems with the software. I find no updates to an open help desk issue since 28th Jan to be unacceptable. I accept that the response time is around 48 hours however that has not been the case. I placed this thread here to maybe get some visibility of the issues but so far no one from Auran/N3V has bothered to look in.

Considering it is the week-end in Australia, as you should know, perhaps you will have to be patient until tomorrow. It is well known that the help desk is not manned 24/7.

Peter

Have you ever registered a Trainz product using more than one E-Mail address ... Under more than one username ... using more than one password ... If you had a Comcast, Verizon, AOL, or any other ISP provider as an E-Mail program, and ever dropped that ISP provider, and now you have changed to a new ISP provider as an E-Mail address, or you can not remember your original E-Mail address, original UN & PW ... all these things can foul up the registration works, like a monkey wrench thrown into the gears, as N3V does not know who you are, nor where to contact you at.

Last edited:
Considering it is the week-end in Australia, as you should know, perhaps you will have to be patient until tomorrow. It is well known that the help desk is not manned 24/7.

Peter
That I am prepared to do mainly due to, as mentioned above, the 48 hr response window and that my current ticket has been open since the Feb 5 at 5:55pm.

Have you ever registered a Trainz product using more than one E-Mail address ... Under more than one username ... using more than one password ... If you had a Comcast, Verizon, AOL, or any other ISP provider as an E-Mail program, and ever dropped that ISP provider, and now you have changed to a new ISP provider as an E-Mail address, or you can not remember your original E-Mail address, original UN & PW ... all these things can foul up the registration works, like a monkey wrench thrown into the gears, as N3V does not know who you are, nor where to contact you at.
I have had the same email address since 1991 having registered a domain at the time so I did not have the changing ISP hassles. I have also only used a maximum of 5 different usernames on various sites, all of which I have tried here and only one has been valid that being the current one I have.

Between the time I registered here, used 2004/2006 for a while and then left Trainz due to life getting in the way, and the time I came back there have been changes here at Auran/N3V. I suspect that transition has thrown a spanner in the works somewhere that is causing all of this.

This thread was purely to highlight and query response times from help desk, which I have only used 3 times in my entire tenure here. I came back to Trainz after seeing a Mac version was available, I bought that along with a FCT for faster downloads. The first issue was Trainz Mac not using the FCT and no mention of it being available to use the download on the MyTrainz profile. That was the second ticket I opened which is the one that has had no response since the 28th January. I then bought TS12 thinking that may address the issue, dug out an old Windows machine I had only to find the problem translated to TS 12 as well even though it *was* listed on my available apps to access the download station. So I go back to TS2 Mac and open yet another ticket, that being the 3rd ever, at 5:55pm on the 5th Feb 2015. Again, this thread was in relation to the current (and 3rd) ticket and if I was going to see anything from help desk in a reasonable time. At the moment I can only use what was included in TS2 Mac plus the Murchison stuff I also bought with everything else failing to download due to this permission error. I also want to add the Donner Pass route from trainzitalia.com but am not going to spend anther $70 odd dollars if I cannot use it due to download problems.

So there ya have it, my saga at trying to get back into trains to have my fix of railroading while my real life layout remains in limbo.

Cheers

Sprinter, N3V is a smallish organization, and my hunch is that the people who work the help desk are also deeply involved in the final stages of the rollout of the new T:ANE. Depending upon exactly what your issues are, it is possible that your help desk tickets have been assigned a low priority, relative to the rollout and help with newer versions than the ones you requested assistance with. Without clearer information on what the issues your raised were, there are circumstances I can imagine under which it might be several weeks longer, or perhaps even a couple of months before you get a response. If it were me, and I hadn't heard anything in a month or so, I'd simply request a status update on the ticket sin question. Personally, I'd request status updates on a Tuesday or Wednesday, prevailing Australian local time of the N3V offices.

ns

Sprinter, N3V is a smallish organization, and my hunch is that the people who work the help desk are also deeply involved in the final stages of the rollout of the new T:ANE. Depending upon exactly what your issues are, it is possible that your help desk tickets have been assigned a low priority, relative to the rollout and help with newer versions than the ones you requested assistance with.
I certainly hope this is not the case and would only point to the company being more interested in income than customers. Can you imagine what would happen to a bricks and mortar store if they acted that way? I have a small business myself and the customer comes first. Without them I do not have a business. In a way they have us over a barrel, we own the product, they have their income and we are at the mercy of their support network. I am not saying this is the case and I am not into conspiracy theories, therefore I am trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. If nothing is fixed by the end of the coming week I will know that the customer is of the lowest priority and in that case I will cut my losses and delete everything to do with Trainz off my systems as well as inform the relevant authorities in Australia. I am hoping it does not come to that however as my wife wouldn't be happy about me deleting already purchased items.

I don't think there is anything in my post to suggest that suggests that the attitude of N3V is that the customer does not come first. But if your small business has more than three customers, and more than one of them need help at the same instant, but one will take much more time and effort to help than the other, and that instant happens to be when you are making essential substantial upgrades to your facilities, you have to decide which of the customers to help first, and to what extent you delay the upgrades to your business to help those customers. Yes, I understand that without your existing customers you don't have a business, but without the upgrades to improve your facilities, you might keep the same two old customers, but lose out on all the new ones to the new competitor around the corner and up the street.

As to your owning the product, you are mistaken. If you'll consult the license accompanying the product, you will find you do NOT own the product, but rather have a non-exclusive license to use the product subject to the terms and conditions in the user license. To say on the one hand that you're trying to give them the benefit of the doubt, and then to turn around and place an unreasonable time limit on that benefit (and "the end of the coming week" is, under the circumstances, highly unreasonable demand), suggests to me that you really don't mean to give them the benefit of the doubt at all. And I'll here and now invite N3V to solicit my testimonials in their defense and on their behalf in whatever regulatory or statutory environment in which you might decide to attack them.

Regards
ns

Hi sprinterASC,
just wondering what is it that you can't actually do. Do I read that you can't download anything from the DLS or is it something else.

NS

Obviously you and I have differing opinions on the meaning of customer service and that is our right. In my opinion I feel a week is more than enough time to respond in some way to a help request, even if it is to say we are busy doing xyz and will get back to you as soon as possible. But that is beside the point as his thread seems to have turned into a whole string of assumptions. At this point I will not reply until I find out more as, as said above, I consider the 48 hour quoted response time not to be up until sometime Monday Australia time.

Last edited:
How are you actually checking for responses? There have been issues for some users in receiving email responses which is why it's important to check the Helpdesk site itself.

Shane

Hi sprinterASC,
just wondering what is it that you can't actually do. Do I read that you can't download anything from the DLS or is it something else.
It is the fact that on the DLS the detail section of a download states I do not have permission to download certain files within an asset. When I try to do so, my apps tell me the files are not available rendering the asset useless and incomplete. However, the files are clearly visible on the DLS and within the respective content managers. The permission issue is what I would like looked into so the assets can be fully downloaded. I will upload the screenshots I have to an external site then link them here to show what I am talking about.

How are you actually checking for responses? There have been issues for some users in receiving email responses which is why it's important to check the Helpdesk site itself.

Shane
I check the live site, at the moment I have a tab permanently open with help desk in it :)

Back