HELP with simple session creation

Open your new session in CM and open the config file. Scroll down and you will see map-kuid, make a note of it and then change it to the original route kuid. Look for the kuid you made a note of in the kuid-table at the bottom of the config and change that also. Save, and it should then link to the original route by the other creator.

As to Quick Drive, the only current references I could find are to the QuickDrive Rule in the Session Editor. This is now a simple method of setting up the parameters in a session for Driver Mode (time of day, UI control method, units of measurement, restrictions on what the user can do). This function has changed during the development of Trainz. It used to be a rule that allowed users to place and remove consists while in Driver but this function was changed to the present list of functions with no ability to place or remove consists. This change appears to have occurred after TS2009 as I could find no references to it after that version. I never used Quick Drive as a means of placing/removing consists while in Driver so I have no real experience of what Ighten is describing.

Is it possible that you are using a Route/Session from TS2009 (or earlier) that may have the original (legacy) Quick Drive Rule?

Last edited:
As to Quick Drive, the only current references I could find are to the QuickDrive Rule in the Session Editor. This is now a simple method of setting up the parameters in a session for Driver Mode (time of day, UI control method, units of measurement, restrictions on what the user can do). This function has changed during the development of Trainz. It used to be a rule that allowed users to place and remove consists while in Driver but this function was changed to the present list of functions with no ability to place or remove consists. This change appears to have occurred after TS2009 as I could find no references to it after that version. I never used Quick Drive as a means of placing/removing consists while in Driver so I have no real experience of what Ighten is describing.

Is it possible that you are using a Route/Session from TS2009 (or earlier) that may have the original (legacy) Quick Drive Rule?

Im not sue it has anything to do with a rule

When i talk about Quik Drive Im talking about the scrolling bar at the bottom in the sessions menu for every route (its usuallly the first) - every route shows a quick drive session including kickstarter 2 . When you click it you enter the route and a pop up box appears showing an engine (usually the one you have chosen from content which will be the one from your main menu display).. In this box is a small pic of the engine with the message "click anywhere on the track to place the engine" (or words to that effect.) .. It doesnt work on any route including kickstarter 2 so its certainly nothing to do with legacy routes. All I get is a ping/chime noise - a dud noise as if its an error (but i could be placing one engine on the shortest longest piece of track in the route) - try it I cant believe no one else has this option built in. Yes I now know the work around to set up a session (and that this was removed sometime back in late 19 early 20) but it seems bizarre this button still exists and is auto created on nearly every route when it doesnt work or have any function and is a main menu option - it must be driving other new users around the twist :)

When i talk about Quik Drive Im talking about the scrolling bar at the bottom in the sessions menu for every route (its usuallly the first) - every route shows a quick drive session including kickstarter 2 .

OK, I think that this is starting to make sense. I have never seen that in TRS19 Platinum and Trainz Plus. Nor is it in TRS22 (Trainz Plus beta version). So it must be unique to TRS19 Standard. Probably because TRS19 Standard does not have the UDS interface found in the other versions. The UDS would replace the Quick Drive feature plus provide other features.

The Register link just takes me to register/create an account (which I don't need as I already have one)

An obvious question (but from experience one that has to be asked). Have you entered your username and password (the same ones you use for this forum) into your copy of Trainz? If you have T:ANE, TRS19 or Trainz Plus this is found in the Trainz Settings --> MyTrainz (or Internet) tab from the Trainz Launcher. Can't remember where it is in earlier versions of Trainz (I ditched them long ago).

ighten... did you figure out how to do a new session with Quick Drive? If you do have '19 Standard with Quick Drive simply do this (Kickstarter Co. 2 example):
- Launch game
- Click Driver/Surveyor
- At top pulldown filter where it says "Source" select "Installed" -or- in Search type Kickstart
- Double Click the Kickstarter County 2 Route at bottom (or click it once to select and click "View Sessions" button on bottom right.
- You will see "Quick Drive" and 4 other sessions.
- Double click on Quick Drive (or click on "Drive Session")
- Quick Drive session wil launch and run.
- When the session starts my game provides a pop-up and invites me to Place a train on track. Close the box.
- Place your Loco and cars or consist
- Click on the "Tools" at top of screen (wrench and screwdriver) and select "Edit Trains" to uncheck it.
- You can now Drive your train or issues Driver commands.
- You basically toggle back and forth between Driving and Placing Trains by using "Edit Trains" on the the tools menu. (If in Quick Drive.)

That's how it works in my Standard version anyway.

To create a new session just click on "Create Session" on the Sessions screen. You are placed on the map and you must move to the location where you want to work. Go there, place your train, (or whatever). You are in Surveyor when the map is opened. You have tools on the right hand side. Click the bottom one (Trains, F7) to select and place trains. But from here you need to learn Surveyor 1.0. There is a new "S20" (Surveryor 2) so don't confuse the two. You have the original S1.

Once you do some work in Surveyor use "Tools" and go into "QuickDrive" to Drive.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
ighten... did you figure out how to do a new session with Quick Drive? If you do have '19 Standard with Quick Drive simply do this (Kickstarter Co. 2 example):
- Launch game
- Click Driver/Surveyor
- At top pulldown filter where it says "Source" select "Installed" -or- in Search type Kickstart
- Double Click the Kickstarter County 2 Route at bottom (or click it once to select and click "View Sessions" button on bottom right.
- You will see "Quick Drive" and 4 other sessions.
- Double click on Quick Drive (or click on "Drive Session")
- Quick Drive session wil launch and run.
- When the session starts my game provides a pop-up and invites me to Place a train on track. Close the box. ITS at this point it doesnt work - nothing happens other than a flat ping noise
- Place your Loco and cars or consist

My understanding is it no longer is supposed to work as its been replaced but has been left behind in the standard version for some reason

What we need is someone else with the TRS19 Standard version to test this and confirm either way.

pware.. I have the Standard Version on a separate account. (along with my Plus installs) I was in game stepping thru Standard when I posted the steps above. We differ at the pop-up so evidently something is going on there. I'll go back, look at that step again and see if I can clear anything up.

ighten... So you get the popup? Are you closing the dialog popup it by clicking the "X" (or "OK")?

Last edited:
Try this...
- Select Kickstarter County 2 Route
- On "Select a Session" click on "Create Session"
- You are now in Surveyor.
- On the right are 7 slideout panels. Click the 3rd one down... the "House"
- Click on one of the items (Trees first appar in my list)
- Click on your map and see if the item is placed there.

If so this confirms you are in surveyor and all is working.

- Click bottom icon on right (handbrake wheel)
- Click a listed train item (loco or train car) and then click on a track. Item should be placed on track.

Let me know if those things work. If so you can "Save Session" (overwrite "Default" session) and then use TOOLS menu to go to QuickDrive. This will put you in Driver mode. Click on Loco to place focus on it and you can drive.

When you look at sessions now you should have this saved "Default' route.

Last edited:
Also.. try this before going directly into QuickDrive.
- Launch game
- Click Driver/Surveyor
- On top right are three icons. Click the center "train" (looks like a VW bus to me) and select a loco for your QuickDrive sessions.
- This will prevent the "Select Loco" dialog from appearing when you go into QuickDrive.
- Now try going into QuickDrive and see what happens

This is now what I do but I do find it is ludicrous that every time I do this It automatically clones a route - it makes the menu system pointless and messy .. Also if the quick drive system no longer works and has been removed why on earth is the game adding a quick drive option/button in sessions to every route even though it no longer works - they should tidy things like this out to avoid confusion

Many thanks to all posters in thread. Having downloaded 2019 from nv3 to my new computer after over a year I too am now aware of improvements (?). I could not get my aged head around the difference in Quick Drive.

Back