HELP!! - TOO MANY ASSETS!!!

pjn01

Hello all,

Wonder if someone could help me. I've had Trainz ever since it came out many years back, I'm now on TRS2006 and I have made many downloads in my time.

I have hundreds of folders and many gigabytes of information in my 'Auran\TRS2006\local' directory which is content that has been carried across from each version.

I have spent the last few days backing up all this information ready to install new components into my PC (hard disk, processor etc) and the time taken has been a pain!!! :mad:

I'm wondering if there is any way of identifying any assets that are never used (and never have been) which I can get rid of? I know I can identify items where 'updates' are available, but does it mean I can get rid of these? :confused:

Any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,
Paul :)

Hopefully someone has a better solution than mine. Right click on each item and select View Dependent Assets. That will show all routes, or cars, or locos that use that item. I made up a spreadsheet listing each asset and where it was used, then tried to decide which I wouldn't use and delete them, and you thought just backing up was a pain!
Norm

half way deleat trainz your stuffs still there and you lose all that mem. but the stuffs still there....

it alway turns stuff in to smillys : ()

Hopefully someone has a better solution than mine. Right click on each item and select View Dependent Assets. That will show all routes, or cars, or locos that use that item. I made up a spreadsheet listing each asset and where it was used, then tried to decide which I wouldn't use and delete them, and you thought just backing up was a pain!
Norm
Apart from what Norm has said, I would try it this way. First though I am not sure if you have Archived your content so this may not quite work the way I think, but its worth some thought.

Now if you have not Archived your content, I would list all the layouts you have and then Archive them, this will then Archive ALL the required items for each layout/route. (A word of warning on Archiving, the file can be very large and I have always tried to keep them under 1GB, this makes them easier to work with). So once you have Archived your Layouts/Routes (maybe in a separate Archive file for each one), you may then wish to keep ALL your Rolling Stock and Locomotives, so you can list these using;

List for Location "Local"
List for Category "Rolling Stock"
List for Category "Locomotives"

This will then give you a list of all your Rolling Stock and Locomotives which you can Archive in another file.

Then you can list all your "unused" content using the following;

List for Location "Local"
List for not "Built In"
List for not Location "Archive"

This will then show you which content is not used in any of your layouts/Routes. From here you can choose what to delete, however I would first Archive these items in some format you understand, for example, Scenery etc. This may take some time and files depending on the amount of content. You can then save your Archive files to another format such as a CD or DVD (depending on size), once these files are saved to a disk you can then delete the Archive files from your list and the items will no longer show as Archived, so repeat the above to list all the items NOT Archived. You can then safely delete these files from your system.

I hope this makes some kind of sense :D , if not let me know and I will help again (I am going away in 3 days time though for 3 weeks :) ).

Craig
:):):)

Hello all,

Wonder if someone could help me. I've had Trainz ever since it came out many years back, I'm now on TRS2006 and I have made many downloads in my time.

I have hundreds of folders and many gigabytes of information in my 'Auran\TRS2006\local' directory which is content that has been carried across from each version.

I have spent the last few days backing up all this information ready to install new components into my PC (hard disk, processor etc) and the time taken has been a pain!!! :mad:

Any help would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,
Paul :)

Paul if you had an external harddrive you could have backed up your entire local folder in less than an hour. They are very useful for backing up an entire harddrive if need be and the transfer is fast. ive got all trainz content backed up this way so if the computer crashes its easy to get everything back.

Paul if you had an external harddrive you could have backed up your entire local folder in less than an hour. They are very useful for backing up an entire harddrive if need be and the transfer is fast. ive got all trainz content backed up this way so if the computer crashes its easy to get everything back.

I bought an external hard drive and backed up the World. It took almost 8 hours.:D I need to get rid of some extra stuff myself.

:cool: Claude

Would TrainzObjects help? I know some features don't work with 2006 but there are easy commands for locating unused content in each catagory and you can print the selected items.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies so far. I've installed all my new equipment now, things are running alot faster!

I have just checked the number of items I have in my 'local' folder............. there are 19,656!!!! :eek: ...... Didn't realise there were that many! No wonder Trainz sometimes runs slow!

I've never archived any content, think this is a time to do so! Thanks Craig!!!

Paul

Last edited:
Back