HELP PLEASE! Computer! witch to buy? software and stuff

voyager101

Virgin Trains Fan
hello, i am going to be purchasing a new pc sometime soon, could someone tell me, what software and memory and specifcations are best for running high detailed routes "Smoothly" so they dont keep freezing and skipping when im driving the train. (very annoying;) ) what make is best, i like dell. but i would like to know what the best makes for using trainz smoothly and what video card, graphics, sound, memory, stuff like that that i need?

cheerz

voyager101

Simple.
I would advise 2GB of RAM, A processor equal to an Intel Duo Core as fast as you can afford, and an 8800 series GPU, again, as fast as you can afford.
Even then, some HIGHLY detailed route will slow you down....a little.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to dispute what I have posted. Good luck.

Ed

Simple.
I would advise 2GB of RAM, A processor equal to an Intel Duo Core as fast as you can afford, and an 8800 series GPU, again, as fast as you can afford.
Even then, some HIGHLY detailed route will slow you down....a little.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to dispute what I have posted. Good luck.

Ed

thanks;) Another question, witch is the best size screen to have?

How much cash do you have?

In simple terms one of the new Intel 45 nm cpus, a high end video card, ATI 3870 512mb runs cooler, a good power supply of say 500 watts min, good cooling in the case, Antec? probably 64 bit Vista and 4 gigs of memory, 32 bit XP and 2.5 gigs of memory isn't bad though look for PCI-e 2.0 on both the ASUS motherboard and the video card.

You can spend more, there are some very new 1 gig memory video cards coming out from nVidia, DDR3 memory, etc.

Screen these days 1440 by 900 19 inch monitors work fairly well, Samsung syncmaster 906 isn't bad 2 ms refresh whatever. The more pixels on the screen such as a 22 inch 1680 x 1050 means the cpu and video card have to work harder so performance suffers.

Cheerio John

How much cash do you have?

In simple terms one of the new Intel 45 nm cpus, a high end video card, ATI 3870 512mb runs cooler, a good power supply of say 500 watts min, good cooling in the case, Antec? probably 64 bit Vista and 4 gigs of memory, 32 bit XP and 2.5 gigs of memory isn't bad though look for PCI-e 2.0 on both the ASUS motherboard and the video card.

You can spend more, there are some very new 1 gig memory video cards coming out from nVidia, DDR3 memory, etc.

Screen these days 1440 by 900 19 inch monitors work fairly well, Samsung syncmaster 906 isn't bad 2 ms refresh whatever. The more pixels on the screen such as a 22 inch 1680 x 1050 means the cpu and video card have to work harder so performance suffers.

Cheerio John

or this one? http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/xpsdt_720?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs

I would say either one would be EXELLENT! Although, I would go with the 420, because the 720 weighs almost 50 POUNDS!!!!!!!
The 720 would be worth it in the long run, though, because you can get it with XP Media Center or Vista, and it has more room for expansion.

In terms of a monitor, I would suggest this monitor: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6140

It is 20" which is great for games, has a moderate resolution size, exellent color and response time. I even have one!

I would say either one would be EXELLENT! Although, I would go with the 420, because the 720 weighs almost 50 POUNDS!!!!!!!
The 720 would be worth it in the long run, though, because you can get it with XP Media Center or Vista, and it has more room for expansion.

In terms of a monitor, I would suggest this monitor: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6140

It is 20" which is great for games, has a moderate resolution size, exellent color and response time. I even have one!

Hello
does weight really matter? if it runs the game better surely it's worth it. all it does is sit on a desk no one is going to pic it up so. id go for the 720 when i have the cash!

thanks for ur help, at least i now know both r good!

cheerz

Neither wait about a month.

The top one has quad core, Trainz can't use four cores, it only has 1 gig memory default you need more, the monitor at 1680 x 1050 will demand too much processing power. Dual GT cards I assume in SLI, there isn't a special SLI driver available for Trainz. The operating system is Vista 32 bit as well not the best for Trainz. Read through parts and labour and you might get a sense of what is important.

The case is nice though.

Cheerio John

Neither wait about a month.

The top one has quad core, Trainz can't use four cores, it only has 1 gig memory default you need more, the monitor at 1680 x 1050 will demand too much processing power. Dual GT cards I assume in SLI, there isn't a special SLI driver available for Trainz. The operating system is Vista 32 bit as well not the best for Trainz. Read through parts and labour and you might get a sense of what is important.

The case is nice though.

Cheerio John

so those xps are not any good for trainz?

so those xps are not any good for trainz?

They are more expensive than some alternatives. The quad cores run hotter than the dual cores which means slower ad when you are only running one one core all the other three do is add heat. Same with the graphics card you are paying for two but can only use one so you pay extra to add heat to the pc not a good idea.

There really are some new cpus coming from Intel that are much better than the old ones. The first ultra high end ones are out but the more affordable versions should be available at the end of next month. Both nVidia and ATI are about to release new 1 gig graphics cards so I'd wait for them.

Save up your cash for a month or so by that time the newer generation machines will be there.

Cheerio John

They are more expensive than some alternatives. The quad cores run hotter than the dual cores which means slower ad when you are only running one one core all the other three do is add heat. Same with the graphics card you are paying for two but can only use one so you pay extra to add heat to the pc not a good idea.

There really are some new cpus coming from Intel that are much better than the old ones. The first ultra high end ones are out but the more affordable versions should be available at the end of next month. Both nVidia and ATI are about to release new 1 gig graphics cards so I'd wait for them.

Save up your cash for a month or so by that time the newer generation machines will be there. Cheerio John

cheerz.

does anyone know if someone is creating a class 180 adelante?

cheerz:cool:

hello, i am going to be purchasing a new pc sometime soon, could someone tell me, what software and memory and specifcations are best for running high detailed routes "Smoothly" so they dont keep freezing and skipping when im driving the train. (very annoying;) ) what make is best, i like dell. but i would like to know what the best makes for using trainz smoothly and what video card, graphics, sound, memory, stuff like that that i need?

cheerz

voyager101
Hi Voyager101- I have seen this discussion so many times and from my perspective you have two options:

1. Wait for the new and better stuff to come along .....and hope that it works as expected.

2. Stay with the tried and true.

I went through exactly your dilemma just before Christmas and decided on option 2 ( I really don't like "new" anything when it comes to computers!). For your information, I purchased a Dell XPS720 with Windows XP and with Nvidia 8800GT card. Apart from a few initial problems which were satisfied by adjusting the Nvidia settings, it runs like a dream. The best $2000.00 I have spent in a long time!

By the way - the XPS720 is a huge machine.

Good luck. Colin.

Hi Voyager101- I have seen this discussion so many times and from my perspective you have two options:

1. Wait for the new and better stuff to come along .....and hope that it works as expected.

2. Stay with the tried and true.

I went through exactly your dilemma just before Christmas and decided on option 2 ( I really don't like "new" anything when it comes to computers!). For your information, I purchased a Dell XPS720 with Windows XP and with Nvidia 8800GT card. Apart from a few initial problems which were satisfied by adjusting the Nvidia settings, it runs like a dream. The best $2000.00 I have spent in a long time!

By the way - the XPS720 is a huge machine.

Good luck. Colin.

cheerz, i dont care what it looks like:) as long as it does the job i want it to do:p i think i will be purchasing one of these soon ish, did you get the g15 gaming keybord with it, if so, is it good?

cheerz

If you want a new monitor voyager101, I purchased a brand new flatscreen 17inch one off the internet for about £99 two weeks ago. I use a flat screen at work and they are very light and easy to use, have a surf on the net and see what you can find at a good price. Try a few sites to get some balanced prices, but you shouldn't have too pay any more than £150 for a 17" or 19", if you want a bigger screen then amend your budget accordingly, but my 17" screen works a treat on Trainz, it's an Acer to go with my brand new Acer PC.....

Cheerz. ex-railwayman. :wave:

If you want a new monitor voyager101, I purchased a brand new flatscreen 17inch one off the internet for about £99 two weeks ago. I use a flat screen at work and they are very light and easy to use, have a surf on the net and see what you can find at a good price. Try a few sites to get some balanced prices, but you shouldn't have too pay any more than £150 for a 17" or 19", if you want a bigger screen then amend your budget accordingly, but my 17" screen works a treat on Trainz, it's an Acer to go with my brand new Acer PC.....

Cheerz. ex-railwayman. :wave:

was looking for a 19", the xps desktop from dell comes with 19" all for £1200, not that expensive:eek:

cheerz

Yup .......... I also did not order their monitor nor speakers. I bought a monitor separately, and have the pc wired into my stereo. Great rumbling bass when train crosses points!

Just some thoughts.

Colin

cool, i have just started building a new route. liskeard-totnes (uk).
just put a new tread for some help doing it:p

cheerz

Back