Giving up on TRS19

up9100

I'm going back to T:ANE. I just recently got TRS19, and spent a combined $70 for the game and the platinum edition, only to find out that some of the benefits I thought I was going to have have been moved to the next game. There are too many issues in general. First the game is just too dark. That might be a problem I can fix, but I'm not up for a learning curve where there shouldn't be one necessary. Additionally, track keeps disappearing when in the sky, and only shows when moving closer to ground. This is distracting to say the least. Also, problems with assets taking too long to load, despite myself having the recommended minimal settings required for the game, are very apparent. Any imported route I had just doesn't want to work. T:ANE may be a lower quality, but it's more user friendly. Hopefully TRS22 will have resolved these issues, but needless to say, I'm not happy with TRS19. I knew there would be a learning curve, but it seems issues like the ones listed above shouldn't exist period. If there's another update for this game, I'll get it, and hopefully the problems will be fixed. No one is making T:ANE content anymore, and I know I'll have to upgrade which is why I bought TRS19. Needless to say, until these simple and childish issues can be fixed, I will only be experimenting on TRS19 rather than converting.

You are going to be missing out on some great features and content if you go back to TANE. The store page lists the added features: Unified driver/surveyor, extra camera options, content store downloader and platinum content. Any other features you may have thought you would get are probably part of the Trainz Plus subscription which has now moved on to TRS22, as that is the latest version. The interface is certainly different and takes a little getting used to, but personally I have never thought the game was too dark. There is a slight learning curve with TRS19, but overall I find it much easier to use. Track disappearing may be because of Level of Detail settings when viewed from above, as map mode automatically cuts in at a certain height. Assets taking too long to load is most likely a symptom of having a platter hard drive, rather than a modern SSD or NVME drive and running on minimum settings suggests that better hardware may be required. I have well over 100 routes in TRS19 and all work perfectly, when you say imported routes, where are they imported from? One huge benefit of TRS19 is the ability to modify DLC routes, where that is impossible in TANE. The lighting is far better in 19 and I find it performs better than TANE on the same hardware. I recommend getting used to it rather than ditching it.

Cheers Graeme

I agree with everything Graeme said. I was surprised to read that you find TRS19 dark, and I wonder why that might be. I find TRS19 to be brighter than TANE, and the lighting more realistic.

You might get some more useful help if you let us know what hardware you are running on (do you really need to run on minimal settings?), and what routes your are running.

Do you create and edit routes? The main benefit of the Platinum edition for me is the ability to swap out of Driver into Surveyor while I am testing my route, allowing me to fix issues on the fly. This switching process is not perfect (for some reason it always throws you into the session layer), but its a great advance over TANE.

TANE does have one big advantage. It doesn't 'phone home', so you don't need an internet connected PC to run it.

Phil

Last edited:
A number of Tane routes are very dark when I run them without adjustment in TRS19. They are also generally too "foggy." Always have been since TRS19 Early release. I quickly had to learn how to reset and adjust environment lighting.

Another thing I do is run Tane routes/sessions in Tane and 19 routes in 19. Tane sessions just work better in Tane.

To the OP... take the time to learn TRS19/22 and work out what you don't understand. You don't want to miss out on all the great routes and such being done for '19/22.

I agree with everything Graeme said. I was surprised to read that you find TRS19 dark, and I wonder why that might be. I find TRS19 to be brighter than TANE, and the lighting more realistic.
Phil

Every map I have download or initially used has the fog, fog EVERY DAY, EVERYWHERE, DAY and NIGHT! Not realistic and to be quite honest totally annoying. Yes, it's an easy fix, but why should I have to? Shouldn't it be the other way around? Add fog if you want it, but other wise, leave it off.

Sorry if a bit repetitive, but I too wonder where so much fog comes in. One of the later service packs? When I first got TRS19, I felt like Kotangagirl once said, that the sun had gone Nova. It was bright to the point of being washed out. But over time, I have noticed that everything has gotten foggy, and I have to edit the environment in order to get any kind of clear day. If you go high enough, the track should turn into blue lines in map mode, so you can at least follow where they are. And I think the assets take longer to load in TRS19 because they are larger assets. A lot of assets now are in the tens of megabytes, whereas a few megabytes used to be a fairly large asset. I blame that on PBR and LOD, I guess. Some creators have gone to using libraries, so the individual asset can be small, but the library is usually very large to download without an FCT.

I think the lighting issues I got fixed, but as far the track disappearing when in the air, its only resolved when using lower quality tracks, which I don't want. Additionally, seeing that everyone seems to be having trouble with AI Trains, it seems beneficial to keep using what I already know.

has anyone encountered the issue where a new baseboard or even a new route has the texture already on it? all my new baseboards / new routes have grass texture on them. Why ???

has anyone encountered the issue where a new baseboard or even a new route has the texture already on it? all my new baseboards / new routes have grass texture on them. Why ???

Why because it's a new feature in SP5. People have already made regions that include the regular grid texture instead if you are interested.

these are baseboards that are part of the pre-loaded regions. Its been at coupler weeks or more since i did the last software upgrade, but it just showed up today. Plus i noticed that the program is now using a vast amount more power usage - very slow saves. I'm thinking they are related but don't know where to check. TRS19 build 116678

Last edited:
these are baseboards that are part of the pre-loaded regions. Its been at coupler weeks or more since i did the last software upgrade, but it just showed up today. Plus i noticed that the program is now using a vast amount more power usage - very slow saves. I'm thinking they are related but don't know where to check. TRS19 build 116678

Yes, more power usage indeed. This is due to the changes in graphics since now there is no longer an option to lower the antialiasing, so your computer is working harder. I noticed a substantial improvement changing the shader quality to normal from ultra or high. This has the added advantage of removing the clear gel that shows on PBR textures.

Saves taking longer can be a number of things including low disk space and disk fragmentation. Since I have my Trainz data on older hard drives because I can't get 8 TB 12 TB SSDs and if I could, I couldn't afford them anyway, I keep my drives defragmented and do so frequently. This means that my loads and saves are relatively quick.

Back