Gear Driven Steam Locomotives

ATNeophyte

I am working on a layout of the late 1800's - early 1900's lumber industry in northeastern California (Loyalton, Portola, Graegle, and up into Oregon). I have become fascinated with the gear driven locomotives. I have downloaded a very nice "Shay" (Gilpin 2 Russell) it is great. I am now looking for a "Heisler" and a "Climax". I did find both these locomotives on the DLS, unfortunately they were "faulty". I would greatly appreciate help in finding these locomotives. Thanks
Joe

Yes sir,
The heisler "ws heisler" by "david11767" has eight missing dependencies and I cannot find them on DLS.
The climax "36in gauge Black Climax Coal Fired by "narrowgauge" is shown as faulty. When I open the description of the problems there is a list of about fourteen problems all preceded by a red ball with a white x. I am very green and I don't know what these problems (tags, mesh files, etc) mean.
I realize now that faulty isn't just a generic term. I shouldn't have used it in reference to the heisler. I'm slowly learning.
Thanks

Hi,

With the climax loco, if reinstalling it from trainzone doesn't work, by that i mean still faulty, if you right-click on the loco in content manager, go edit, edit in content creator plus, you should be able to delete all the faulty tags etc. also you mentioned about the mesh. that probably means that its a .pm instead of .im's. If this is the case you need to download pev's pm2im software. you can download this off his website. please ask for any extra help

thanks

I downloaded the Climax from "Trainzone", unfortunately I don't have a clue what to do with a "CDP" file. Then I tried the suggestion from "privite". When I tried to open "edit in content creator plus" I received a message telling me I need Net Framework v1.1. Sooo---I downloaded that and tried again. Now I get a message that I need Net Framework v2.0.50727. when I tried to download that, I downloaded another program ASP.NET (or something like that). That has created a whole other problem with my computer. ANYWAY---I have finally figured out that I'm too darned old (70) for this high-tech stuff. I appreciated all the help. Now, if I can't download it off DLS, I can probably live without it.
Thanks again,
Joe

I downloaded the Climax from "Trainzone", unfortunately I don't have a clue what to do with a "CDP" file. Then I tried the suggestion from "privite". When I tried to open "edit in content creator plus" I received a message telling me I need Net Framework v1.1. Sooo---I downloaded that and tried again. Now I get a message that I need Net Framework v2.0.50727. when I tried to download that, I downloaded another program ASP.NET (or something like that). That has created a whole other problem with my computer. ANYWAY---I have finally figured out that I'm too darned old (70) for this high-tech stuff. I appreciated all the help. Now, if I can't download it off DLS, I can probably live without it.
Thanks again,
Joe

If you have the CDP you can open (and Install) the file with CMP. Under "file" look for import CDP and direct CMP to the file location, usually "downloads". Then click "open". I have 5 years on you and learn something new about this program almost every day. Actually it's not just a program, but a very absorbing hobby.

tomurban

Download the Climax files again.

All, excepting the green one, have been updated and re-versioned for TS12 You will find some warnings but these have no effect in Driver. They will also overwrite the ones from the DLS which still had problems.

If you find any problems I didn't catch please post here.

I didn't make the Heisler. I don't think the author is still active, I will see if I can work through those problems.

ATNeophyte. At 70 you are still young, If I can do it at 82 then you should have hope.

Peter

Last edited:
I followed your directions and I am now the proud owner of a beatiful "Climax". It works great, but there may a minor problem with the sound.
There is sound of the wheels on the rails and the clicking at the joints, but here is no significant engine sound. I there something that can be done about this? I will run this engine, sound or no sound.
Thanks for your reply and the words of encouragement.
Joe Sparks, NV USA

I followed your directions and I am now the proud owner of a beatiful "Climax". It works great, but there may a minor problem with the sound.
There is sound of the wheels on the rails and the clicking at the joints, but here is no significant engine sound. I there something that can be done about this? I will run this engine, sound or no sound.
Thanks for your reply and the words of encouragement.
Joe Sparks, NV USA

Again, using the CMP search function, find the climax file and open it for edit in Explorer. Then open the config file with Notepad. With the config file open look for a line that says engine snd or engine sound. If it is present, note the kuid number so we can check it. If it is not present we can search for a suitable replacement.

tomurban

I did locate the config file as you said. The kuid is 44700:53003 (Climax Steam Sounds). I then checked the for this kuid in my downloaded folder and it is there (with no apparent problems).
Joe

I did locate the config file as you said. The kuid is 44700:53003 (Climax Steam Sounds). I then checked the for this kuid in my downloaded folder and it is there (with no apparent problems).
Joe

The updated engine sound kuid is 2:44700:53093:2 Unfortunately that does not work either. All of the individual WAV. files are present and do play individually. I noticed that the headlight is not working either. Perhaps Peter (narrow gauge) can shed some light (no pun intended) on these issues.

tomurban

Last edited:
I'll have a look at it, and hopefully, while I'm about it, have a look at the steam sound.

The Climax was my first model, made in 2002-3 and I am rather attached to the old girl

Peter

I cannot thank you folks enough for taking your time to do this research. Obviously I have much to learn. I am going to learn how to open all the files, and how to correct some of these problems I am encountering.
Thanks Again.
Joe Lightfoot

Hi Joe,

One last thing, these are the dependences i got when i downloaded heisler. try downloading them:
Gen1960 op1
Heisler Engine File
Heisler Engine Sounds
Heisler NG Bogey
Heisler NG Whistle
Heisler Pistons (Faulty)
wsshay enginesound
wsshay whistle

I just downloaded Heisler and all eight dependences are there.

Heisler? We are working on the Climax. The problem is the engine sound or lack of it. (See Post #13) Also, no working headlight. Place it on the track and let us know if you get any sound.

tomurban

Last edited:
Back