Freightliner reveals new Powerhaul™ livery...

backyard

ROAD FOREMAN of ENGINES
:cool:
New pictures of the GE/Freightliner Class 70 have been released...
150909_03.jpg

Here's the dope...
GE’s new global diesel-electric PowerHaul™ Locomotive Series.
240908_04.jpg

Here's the New atRailExpress

Between the genericness of N. American power and the funkiness of Britannic power, I dunno which is better? Genericness or Funkiness, but I do like the livery, if not the engine itself.

Fugly

I gotta put in my vote for the Amtrak Genesis locos.By and large I think these are among the most uninspired design on the planet.A semi-streamlined Brick w/wheels.Sorry to go off topic ,but I could not resist.These are not not much better but I do like the livery of the "Freightliners".Maybe the P-40's would look better with a well designed paint scheme,but there is that old adage about the Silk Purse......:p ,Randy

I completely understand the need for efficient locos and modern technology, but the styling is hideous. I'm sure it's a fine loco, but trains should look tough and powerful, not dorky. If all trains looked like that, I wouldn't even like trains.

Now the livery itself looks pretty good. I'd like to see that on some other engines myself. The locomotive though... I can't understand what seems to be a trend lately of attempting to make rail-based vehicles e.g. locomotives, multiple units, streetcars et al look as garish and hideous as the pen of the designer allows. Even more interesting is that I've yet to see any true attempt to make them even mildly aerodynamic. Sure, trains do have the aerodynamics of a brick wall, but why should that stop you from at least trying to remove a few bricks? Just look at Voith's new Maxima 40CC for instance. It almost appears to have been purposely designed to be aerodynamically inefficient.

I imagine this locomotive will earn the nickname of 'Buh Tuggly' or 'Different Shed'. In any case, I doubt it will reflect anything other than its sheer ugliness.

WileeCoyote:eek:

They are to become class 70 in the UK. i wonder what nickname will they get.

My bet is on "Plugs", on account of the layout of the lamp clusters when viewed directly head on. I wonder where the fuse goes, though...

Either way they're ugly as sin. A 66 is a model of elegance by comparison...

Well I'm sorry, but it's probably the worst looking diesel loco ever to run on Britain's railways. We used to build all of our own locos in UK rail engineering plants and British Rail (our national rail company) ensured they were built to common design standards (especially after corporate image was introduced in the mid-60s). It's hard to believe that railways that were once graced by the class 42 Warships, class 52 Westerns and Class 55 Deltics (and are still graced by the class 43 IC125s) could end up with locos as hideous as this!

I'm afraid it's sadly symbolic of a nation that no longer builds anything (except banks!) and has to import all of its major engineering products. Unfortunately, Britain's got what it deserves after 30 years of the wrong economic and industrial policies.

Paul :(

Last edited:
I'm afraid it's sadly symbolic of a nation that no longer builds anything (except banks!) and has to import all of its major engineering products. Unfortunately, Britain's got what it deserves after 30 years of the wrong economic and industrial policies.

I really wish I could disagree with you on that, but sadly you're right. :(

Nickname? Well if they are class 70 they must be OAPs... :hehe:

The colours ain't too bad; at least they don't look like licorice allsorts, unlike contemporary Brit EMUs and DMUs! :p

Cheers

Nix

Show your thoughts...

:cool: So, what would your idea of a Diesel-electric freight or passenger locomotive look like?

These are hardly British looking locos in the slightest...

Nickname: 'Bricks' comes to mind. :p

Chris

Nope, your right, they aren't British-manufactured... they're American-made(General Electric/GE)............. (wierd, eh? For all the importing we do this is one thing we still export: goods locos)

So, what would your idea of a Diesel-electric freight or passenger locomotive look like?

Well this is where we open a can of worms because each single Trainzer has his own idea of what looks good! :hehe:

However I'm a great fan of the old school locomotives. Like the Canadian National with the Beardmore engine. Why? Well noone had built diesels before so there was no standard way of doing it and some of the early attempts showed great variety and imagination. Check out the strange German diesel that powered a compressor that operated a standard steam engine layout but with compressed air instead of steam. The Germans also played around with diesel-hydraulic transmission. Diesel-electric has really only become established because that became the American standard but unfortunately American designs became very immitative. The last time an American built loco showed any originality was the FL9 of the New Haven.

When I look at modern locos I see a very strong emphasis on plastic form and garish colour which I find singularly unattractive. Give me an old GE boxcab or EMD high hood any time. What could be a more beautiful creation than the Milwaukee bi-polar, or the London Transport Bo-Bo for the underground? And rod drives for electrics; so cool! :D

Cheers

Nix

Back